Introductions

I've been on MFP for a couple of years now, but got away from using it for awhile. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes almost 6 years ago. Initially I got my levels down to a 6.8. I stopped paying attention to my levels and my diet for over 3 years. Recently I changed doctors and I am now seeing a naturopath. My first bloodwork showed my A1C at 11.2 and my fasting blood sugar level for that particular day was 295. When we discussed my levels we negotiated a 3 month timeframe to get my levels under control. She wanted to put me on medication right away, but I'd gotten them down before and I wanted to at least try to do it without meds. She wished me well and has been very supportive in my efforts although she says she has never seen anyone get them down to what I need to. I struggled for close to 3 weeks and was ready to give up because it all seemed a bit overwhelming.

Finally, toward the end of my third week at this, my levels went from high 200s-low 300s to 180s-200. I am limited to 120 carbs per day and even my diabetes nutritionist says that is very low, but more often than not I have trouble eating that many carbs. I like the lower carb veggies and I pretty much cut out all breads. I am also having trouble meeting the recommended calorie intake of 1400 per day. We set up my diet plan to eat 30 carbs at each meal and two 15 carb snacks; one between lunch and dinner; one between dinner and bedtime. I rarely do the evening snacks because I'm so full from dinner. For instance, I'm stuffed and I've had a total of 654 calories and 82 grams of carbs today. I know not enough calories and carbs is just as bad as having too many. On the good side, I've lost 15 lbs!

Any suggestions on how to balance all this out? My family has a history of diabetes for at least 3 generations so I know eventually I will have to go on medication, but I do want to put it off for as long as I can.

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Sorry if this sounds harsh - If my sugars were 11.2 and the Dr had advised me to take meds, given the long term complications of T2, personally I would have taken the meds and asked to come off them once my blood levels were under control.

You say your Dr said "she has never seen anyone get the levels down to what you need to ". Not true lots on here have done it, but, I think initial with the aid of medication when their A1C was at that level. When your Dr said this, to me, it sounds like code for "you should really listen to my advice".

On the question of eating more. I am eating at a similar calorie level to the one you have been advised , for me its 1340 (BUT I usually eat more as I exercise each day). Take a look at my diary apart from Saturdays which are my cheat day, it may give you some ideas.
  • I was one of the not so smart that when I found out I had T2 I just took the meds and never dieted well not that seriously. I paid a price for it my weight went to 333 and my A1C to 10.5. After the Foot Neurophy ( bad speller ) set in I decided to try and finally do something about it. In June my A1C went to 9 this month it dropped to 7.4 I think. I joined here about 3 weeks ago because my brother in law did.

Got long winded but yes you can bring down the A1C following this diet the thing is I just picked out no more than 200 carbs a day. I allow myself 60 for each meal and 20 for snacks. I have lost 10 pounds since being on here. I will say I don't use the 200 carbs a day I am always under.

Don't mess around trust me you don't want foot neurophy it is not fun.

Keep up the good work wish you the best

Mike
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Your levels are still quite high and I'm in agreement with BigG. Sometimes it helps if you look at diabetes as a stool. Proper control often needs three legs. Medication does NOT take the place of diet and exercise, but your diabetic stool may be wobbly without the third leg of medication.

I actually increased my Metformin dosage AFTER my A1c dropped from 7.3 to 5.5 because even with a very low-carb (much lower than yours) diet and 30 minutes of exercise per day, I could not bring my fasting BG levels down to what my doctor and I considered acceptable (70-100, or "normal") I also increased my exercise to 60 minutes + 10 minutes before bed.

Your diary isn't open, so it's impossible to make any suggestions based on food or exercise.

I use this

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

to determine how many carbs I can eat. No nutritionist, dietitian, physician, or MFP poster can tell you the number of carbs YOU need to eat or not eat in order to bring down blood glucose levels and keep them steady. Maybe you're just impatient - your levels didn't get that high overnight and they won't go down overnight either. Maybe you can increase your exercise intensity or duration. Maybe you need to cut carbs further, or change the source of your carbs. Maybe different carb levels at different times of the day would work better for you - my breakfast needs to be very low-carb, but I can handle more in the afternoon. Only your meter can tell you if what you're doing is effective.

My diary is open if you'd like to take a look.

Best of luck!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Have you thought about the type of carbs you are eating. Complex carbs will release glucose more slowly than simple carbs. You can easily google complex carbs for a list eg whole grains, brown rice etc.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    While it may very well be possible to get your levels where they need to be without starting medication, with an A1C of 11.2, it may be easier - and healthier for you in the long run - to take the meds until you get your A1C down. I started with an A1C of 14.8 and dropped it to 5.1 in four months with diet, exercise and metformin. I stayed on the metformin for another six months, had another A1C test of 5.1, and came off the meds. Now I can keep my levels within a healthy range with diet and exercise alone. I don't know that I could have brought my A1C down this low without the inital 10 months of metformin.

As far as dietary advice, only you can determine what does and doesn't work for you, as we all react differently to the same foods, carb totals, etc. This is done through trial and error, and a lot of testing. It's much easier to test to determine what you can and can't eat if you have a stable baseline number to work from, which may initially be hard to establish with the aid of medication.

Good luck to you. I hope you can do it without turning to meds. If you can't, just remeber that there is no shame in taking them and just because you start it doesn't mean you are sentenced to a lifetime of taking them.
  • Sarah0237
    Sarah0237 Posts: 14 Member
    Hello Everyone,

I am a type 2 diabetic for the last 15 years of my life. I was on Metformin for 10 years and now my doctor has switched me to insulin. I take about 5 units three times a day after breakfast, lunch and dinner. I started on Myfitnesspal this past October. I am looking for friends because I am trying to lose 20 pounds and to get my blood sugar under control. Thanks :drinker:
  • robert65ferguson
    Hi Sarah, welcome to this group. Like yourself I'm Type 2 curently controlling by diet and exercise. With the helpful advice from members in this group I've managed to reduce my A1c from 7.5 on diagnosis to 5.5 on my last test earlier this month. I'm also managing to gradually reduce my weight. I currently aim for a max of 45 net carbs per meal with say 20 for snacks and an overall net carb target of 135 per day. One of the best pieces of advice I was given here was to pre plan my meals and then stick to that plan like glue. While it seemed a bit strange at first, I was surpised how quickly I adapted. I confess that I do sucumb to temptation and eat outside the plan more often than I would like. I'm sending you a friend request and will certainly be willing to share what I have been taught in this group. You will find great support and encouragement here and I wish you well for the future.
  • Sarah0237
    Hello Everybody !!

Robert, You've done a great job controlling your A1c with diet and exercise. No meds ever? I would love to get my blood glucose in great control like you. For the past two years my levels have been from 188 to 234 fasting. I have made an attempt to plan my meals but I rarely follow the plan. I welcome suggestions from anyone.
  • Sarah one of the things I have done is not eat anymore than 60 carbs per meal that's 180 carbs for the 3 meals and 20 carbs for snacks that gives me 200 carbs per day. My numbers have gone for 180 - 250 to 88 - 113 my morning readings. My A1C went from 9 in June to 7.4 in November. Everyone is different but when I came on here I just worried about my Carbs staying under 60 for each meal.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving

Mike
  • robert65ferguson
    Hi Sarah, I would urge you to give pre-planning a determined go. The value is that you are able to make informed choices rather than eat something inappropriate and then being frustrated as the numbers stare accusingly from the screen. Once the food is eaten it's too late to do anything about it.
  • Sarah0237
    Hi Robert,

I'll begin my meal planning on Saturday for next week. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to getting on track.

Sarah