Training Partners

Options
KyleB65
KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
Okay, a little rant and what I hope is a lesson.

I despise people who join a MA class and think that at every moment they need to "make it real"!! I have been training in JKD for over 2 years. Some of the movements and combinations we learn are complex and take time to learn and even longer to master. If my partner during training feels that he/she needs to "fight" me as we work on new techniques. Neither of us learn anything! Instead when we should be learning from each other by each taking our turn to figure out how our bodies can work something new. We end up in some form of silly and useless sparring match!
In addition, as we are training in a contact/combat sport, some of what we are taught is dangerous. It is demoralizing, painful and possibly dangerous when some moronic idiot jumps at you trying to land a rear strangle hold take down full strength but zero technique!

So, for the lesson. (No insult intended for those who have already figured this out)

Roll with your training partner! Work through new techniques slowly and if it is your turn to take a fall. Then go down!!! Provide some resistance so that your partner can figure out the movements. But, make the resistance appropriate to your partner and the technique. Then when it is your turn, expect the same courtesy from your partner. As you both learn and get comfortable with new techniques you can up the intensity a little. But, make sure that the intensity is at a level that suits the person who is least comfortable with the technique. This way everyone gets to progress and no one gets hurt.

For those who want to apply techniques. This is why there is sparring and competitions! I am all for using everything in a learned arsenal during a combat where both combatants understand the situation. This is an invaluable training tool. But going full tilt on someone who has not yet assimilated a technique serves no one!

Thanks for reading and continue to train hard!

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Agreed. There are times when sparring is just that, and it should be hard and brutal.

Then there are times to work on technique.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This also depends on the style you are learning. For example in Krav Maga, technique matters much less then reaction speed and aggresiveness....so if you dont pluck perfectly, at least throw that groin kick hard to buy yourself extra time...things like that.

I agree that under non protected situations, you should always slow it down, noone is looking to get really hurt...so if you are not advanced and wearing protective equipment....dont go full speed....no need to knock anyone out in training.

I've been on both ends of this, so it happens...just try to not let it happen as often.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    My TKD instructor is ALWAYS stressing to take it slow in applying a technique during class.........especially when i'm with a lower belt. He's noticed i'm more relaxed now that i've been going to class for almost a year now, and that my BREATHING has improved as well. I haven't signed up for sparring yet, but i do plan on doing that soon........and i know that's when things are sped up a bit, which is fine with me.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Great post. I wish my gym would teach people gym/sparring ettiquite. Not only because I've almost been dropped my a too hard punch from a new guy, but also because I did the same thing when I didn't know any better.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My TKD instructor is ALWAYS stressing to take it slow in applying a technique during class.........especially when i'm with a lower belt.

My TKD Instructor expects us to focus on technique as a lower grade when sparring, once we become seniors grades (4th kup and above) we're expect to have enough experience in patterns and sparring to be able to use appropriate strength and power.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to teach an over excited newb rolling/sparring etiquette is putting them down quickly.

Hopefully after many failed attempts at their spaz attacking at full speed without technique they realize that they need to incoporate and pay attention to technique.

Sorry to say it, but if you have problems with newbs spaz attacking you, maybe you need to work more on your technique or maybe the place you are learning at isn't very effective.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I like sparring/rolling with people that use great technique mostly, but I feel that sparring with people that don't use technique and use way too much strength and whatever is also great practice, you never know what they are going to do and this is also a great test for you skills to see new ways in which different techniques can be used.

Also, most people if you have the unfortunate experience to use your skills outside the ring/cage/etc most of the time aren't going to use great technique, you aren't going to have pads and you aren't going to start and stop when you want.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's not spaz attacking per se. I think a lot of newer people don't know how to control the power of thier punches. I know it took me awhile to be able to throw fast without throwing hard.

I think the problem might be that everyone at my gym spars by their second or third day... you can't really expect any technique at that point... and it's not terribly effective. I'm a slow learner, but I don't think I really got much out of sparring the first 6 months because my technique just wasn't there. On the other had, the benefit to sparring right away is that you are very comfortable with it. So the happy balance in my view would be to have everyone spar a little right away, but with a some instruction as to what is expected.

I don't think just kicking someone around the ring is going to "teach" them what they are doing wrong. At least, that wouldn't work on me, but as I said, I'm a slow learner.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    when i first started training bjj and mma we usually threw the new people in right away, it weeded those out that would quit within a few months anyways and you wouldn't waste your time trying to teach someone stuff that will leave and not come back the first time they get choked or hit.

now it seems most places don't have people sparring until months into it, I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but it does seem to be a good business move.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    One o my teachers used to say that the scariest people to work with are brown belts. They know enough to deliver some decent force in their strikes, but haven't learned the control yet...
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ur just weak, i wasnt even doing it hard
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Senior in class should be controlling any kind of partner drill. Most places I've been say if a junior student is going too hard, then you need to punish them some. If someone is trying to jump at you full strength then sweep or throw them.
    Control the session.