the Post Marathon thread

Options
redredy9
redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
Hi guys -

I ran my first last Sunday and now I have questions, comments, obersvations ect. and imagine all the other marathon runners must too. So why not start a thread?

I'll start:

Is anyone else having a hard time getting back to a pre-training diet? I am hoping this is just temporary but I am an eating machine! Please tell me this is just temporary. Also - i am super sleepy. Other than that I am feeling great though so I really can't complain.

How is everyone else feeling post-marathon?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It took me about 2 weeks to get the eating under control. That's pretty common.

My biggest issue (other than the IT Band flare up I am dealing with) was getting emotionally prepared to run another marathon 12 weeks later. I JUST.COULDN'T.DO.IT. So, I bailed. Between the physical issue and the mental issue, it was just too much so I canceled my trip to Houston. I made a $125 donation to the marathon charity. That's how I look at it. I found a great sense of relief after that and that's about when my eating got under control too. Now I can focus on the Tim Kennard 10 Miler in March that I will be running for the 4th consecutive year.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i finished my last full 3 weeks ago, and this time i finished in a much better head space than the one i did (my 1st) 6 months ago.

i've learned that more running makes marathons more obtainable. i learned how important it is to carb load, and not to run if you're feeling unwell.

i ran the full on a sunday, and on the tuesday i was doing a little 5k recovery run. i learned how important it is to get a post race massage- i got mine on the monday night and it was awesome! helped heaps. next time i will wait around and get it done on the day.

i also started another training plan (i have to have schedules) after a week to try and help increase speed for a half i've got planned in feb.
  • dms4436
    Options
    Every time I get injured it takes a bit for my body to realize "hey, we don't need to prepare for a long run this week". Part of it is recovery too, I try to focus on protein and water to provide fuel to rebuild, plus it helps curb the appetite. Especially because you've been on a routine, training for HOW long? Your body is a machine that doesn't think, it just waits for what it knows, until it thinks it knows we aren't going to run anymore.

I find the hardest part is recovering from the endorphin addiction. I also get really "sad" and tired skipping the long and speed runs, and that makes me eat emotionally too. I figure if I know what going on, I can try to track it better. Plus, walking, biking, elliptical, anything to get the "rush" will make me feel less tired anyway. :)
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Post marathon I can eat my body weight in protein. I have found that the quicker I replenish the quicker I get over it. So following a marathon I will have a good recovery meal as soon as possible. Depending on the marathon itself, I might find that I am very tired in general the week after. Sleepy, grumpy (all the bad dwarfs reallly!). I take a good multi-vit and take a weeklong break from running.

Cross-training helps for the post marathon slump, I prefer rowing for cardio and upper body gym workouts.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Does it really take about 6 weeks to fully recover?

I had a 4 mile race this sunday (exactly a week after 1st marathon) and it was a little rougher than a 4 miler should have been and that's that I took it easy and didn't push pace too hard.
  • dms4436
    Options
    Depends what you mean by fully recovered I think. When I ran my 20s, I ccouldnt run more than 9-10 long run the following week. Though, I am sure I will get better with time. The 20s, especally when I ran for time, really messed me up apparently.

I think it depends on 1- your fitness level 2- how hard you pushed at the marathon, and 3- what you consider "fully recovered". You'll always have some damage thats constantly being repaired, as a distance runner. I am at 2 weeks now and just itching to get back out there.... but staying "smart" about my stupid knee...

I know one of my GFs that runs triathalons, she uses a heart rate monitor to determine how "recovered" she is. Maybe google that? But I go on feel generally.