Spirelli Slicer - anyone have one

Options
twinmom01
twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
This is what I am talking about

http://www2.gefu.com/en/produkte/cooking/schneiden/detailansicht/produkt/spiral-slicer-spirelli.html

Anyone have one? Good, Bad???

I have been using a simple veggie peeler to make "ribbons" for zucchini "pasta" but mine always seem to come out too wide or break apart and then I have chunks of zucchini.

This looks like it would work a lot better but don't want to buy one if it is crappy

Replies

• MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I looked at amazon.com for reviews of it. 4 people loved it, one didn't but wasn't very specific. Let us know if you buy it and how it works.

I just ordered a Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler, and I'm waiting for it to be delivered.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got one a couple of years ago to make zucchini noodles. I hated it the first time I used it but have persevered with it.

Pros: - makes long 'noodles' rather than the shorter ones you get with the peeler, easy to clean, doesn't take up much space in the drawer
    Cons: - you get quite a bit of wastage of your vege as it leaves a central core that doesn't get spiralled, it has a finger guard thing that is frustrating - I use it without and risk spiralling my fingers, I've only found it useful for 2 things - zucchini and carrots. Also getting the spiralling started can be a bit annoying - you need to have your vege at the right angle so you get long noodles rather than shavings.
    So it is useful once you get the hang of it but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. A good mandoline or julienne slicer would be a more versatile tool that would still give you reasonable length noodles.
    That's probably not much help!
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a different one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
    Have only used it a couple of times, but it seems to work just fine. I was a bit worried since it's all plastic, but so far, so good!
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love the julienne slicer (handheld small one) a lot. I use the core (for example of zucchini) for my meals as well, cut it up and put it in the sauce.