Small achievement, but am I pushing myself too far?

Options
Wow, it's bit daunting just watching the dig deep motivational bit! I've been meaning to start this programme and do the fit test for 2 days now but kept putting it off (probably because of fear I wouldn't be able to do it or scared I would fail) but I finally did it! In the end I just said "no more excuses, just get on with it, just do it!" I was a bit like a broken record on a Nike advert for a while!

I've only just finished the test and posted my embarrassing results, I got more disheartened as it went on to be honest but at least I finished. I got a really painful stitch when starting the power jacks but thought I have to do this, took a break until it went after stretching then did it again. Proud of myself for that. I know it's not a huge deal but normally I would give up.

I'm just thinking - if the fit test it that hard am I really cut out for the workouts? Maybe I need to get myself generally 'fit' before attempting this? I know it's not meant to be easy but I also don't want to set myself up for failure. I really really don't want to quit or give up....first workout tomorrow so we'll see how it goes! Maybe I'll just need lots of rest periods to start off with or am I being too hopefull?

Replies

• rhoades716
    Options
    Today I watched the Plyo video to prepare myself for what I would be doing tomorrow morning. And you know what motivates the hell out of me with that video??? THAT EVEN THE PEOPLE PICKED FOR THE VIDEO STOP AND HAVE TO TAKE BREAKS!!! That is motivation right there! This is not one of those programs where the prissy girl or overly ripped guy is all smiles and doesn't have one bead of sweat drip off their forehead. Those are real people, doing what we are really doing in our living rooms.

I have read this tip on many different forums and I hope someone that has completed the program and doing a hybrid can attest to this, but pause the video as many times as you need to. If you need an extra minute or two to catch your breath, who cares? Sean T isn't going to know that you paused the tape, well he just might somehow LOL. What I am saying is do the best that you can do, push yourself to your limits and not what you see on the TV. If you can't keep up with the video, use that as a mini goal to set for yourself. Say to yourself, I couldn't keep up with the pushup jacks, but after doing this video 3 times, i will keep up.

We are all here to help each other, please don't give up on yourself. I, personally, am not going to give up on you and I know all the other members of the team are here for you as well. This is why I made this group was to help each other through these hard next two months.

You are not being to hopeful, just take your time and go at your pace and after two months I will bump this post and you will laugh that you ever doubted yourself after you are kicking Insanity's @$$ and just waiting for the UPS man to deliver Insanity Asylum!!!
  • emily_bird
    Options
    It IS really hard. I can completely understand where you are coming from. however, one thing that is KEY from personal experience and in watching the videos Shaun T stresses that if you're doing it, do it within YOUR skill set. In other words, if you can only do one push up - only do that. If you can't do in the and jump don't. If you're feeling faint, too sore, starting to feel like you're pushing yourself too hard - take a breather. There's a difference between pushing yourself harder and not to give up compared to "too much, too soon". If you do decide to continue - modify the program so that it's something that you can do. Do half a video as opposed to a whole video. Take a video that you think is easier and work just on that one to get your fitness up until you're ready for it.

If you feel like you can't do it - then don't push yourself. You'll just get injured and it will put you off exercising as opposed to embracing it. The system is devised around max interval training, where you're each doing what you can do within your OWN limits. In terms of effort, the guy who does 20 pull ups and the guy doing 2 are putting in the same effort - but at their level.

DON'T be embarassed about your results. Success isn't determined by how you compare to other people or how "well" you do : it's determined by the distance between where you were and where you are now. I saw a fitness quote the other day, and it said that coming in dead last is a lot better than not finishing the race at all.
  • dawnsfitnesspage
    dawnsfitnesspage Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks,

I have pretty much decided that this was a weak moment while recovering from the test and my normal level of self doubt. Half an hour later and I'm ready to kick *kitten* on the first workout!! Just hope I don't have his problems every day! Ha ha.

I didn't want to delete the post in case some people have the same struggle or maybe someone would agree with my self doubt that I wouldn't be able to do it. Self belief is the key and I just need to get more of it and prove to myself I am worth this and can achieve it. Maybe I won't loose a ton of weight or get ripped abs but I will accomplish something and that will mean more to me than physical results.
  • dawnsfitnesspage
    dawnsfitnesspage Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your support and advice, I appreciate it so much, these boards really are amazing!
  • emily_bird
    Options
    This is more thank kind of cheesy, but maybe it will help you ..... when I exercise , I use my imagination and "tell myself a story" and essentially imagine myself or someone doing well.If it's not me, it mainly a story in my head (I write) and of essentially doing awesome at some kind of physical activity. I often basically prentend in my head that the world is going to end or imagine myself kicking butt. Mentally, it's all "donkey kong and bring it baby, I'm going to drop it like it's hot and kick some butt". Seriously, just imagine think "kick butt" and it'll help you lose yours. True story. Plus, you usually feel all invigorated. Sigh. I'm glad that I'm using a pseudonym after admitting that. So, think fun and you have fun.
  • rhoades716
    Options
    I am glad that you were able to be helped by this group. We are truly our own worst enemies sometimes. Everyone will have a weak moment at one point or another its just how we respond to that moment that will determine our fate.

I am glad you are going to keep continuing with the program, lets kick some butt together, ALL of us!