Somebody has to be last, right?

Options
MzCara148
MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
I ran my first 5k on 10/27 after "graduating" and my time was just silly - a 56:30 finish. I took pride in it, even as I was amused by how slow I am. Everyone says not to worry, you won't be last. Well, someone needs to be last, right? And that someone was me. Around here the walkers start BEFORE the runners, so I was absolutely dead freakin' last. By the time I finished, they were sweeping up the registration tent, lol!

Fast forward to today for race number 2, and I was pysched. I ran with my daughter last time and she had to stop at one point because of a sneaker problem so I was running in place some of the time while she sorted it out. I figured I *had* to be faster this time, right? I should have paid a bit more attention to the race description. They said "challenging" in the description but I thought the *last* one had some serious hills so how bad could it be? O.M.G. There was litterally a hill that measures .99 miles by GPS. With a 230 elevation change. What was I thinking?!? LOL! I was very disappointed that I had to walk some of it though. I just could not handle that hill.

I did improve my time though - this time I finished in 54 minutes. At least I improved. And I was SECOND to last this time. Yay! I'll take it. I would have taken last again if I had to -somebody has to be last - but will take SECOND to last and hope next time maybe 2 people will finish behind me.

Replies

• Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing 2 5K races!!!! I think it's awesome that in spite of all the hills you still beat your time, your story is inspiring!
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    you improved by 2:30min AND had that ugly hill on your route.. I would say next time you're going to have a bit more than just two people finishing after you!
    I would be proud, a few weeks ago I couldn't even jog for 100metres and would be damn proud just for finishing a 5k. No matter what time it takes me!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing your first 2 5K runs. You're an inspiration to me. I just started C5K today and the first session was hard.

What I read from your post is: "I finished my two races". This is really great!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I think that is awesome!
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    At least you did it...twice over!! Sounds like you did amazingly the second time with all of those hills.

My first 5k was a complete disaster!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, nice work! You got a quicker time on a way harder race, so really you actually improved a lot! Next time you'll probably have 5 people behind you :)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    You did great-and I'm sure it felt amazing to finish! Don't worry about your time it will improve and get faster the more you run over time. Keep up the great work! :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Far, far better to be running and at the end of the field than not to be running at all.
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just started C5K today and the first session was hard.

Oh yes! But if you stick with it it gets easier.
    J. (now just done W4 R2)
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Awesome !!!!! You are a winner !!
    My city is full of huge, long hills. I try, but always end up walking up. Turkey Trot on Thursday and once again there are killer hills.

I have done 3 - 5k's and still very slow, but improve by a minute each time.

Just keep up the great work !! You are out there working on it while others are still in bed !
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    5K number 3 tommorow morning. Thanks for the support everyone, and wish me luck for tommorow. There is no such thing as a flat course here in New England, lol!