Gluten free Thanksgiving...

MoCrafter
MoCrafter Posts: 20 Member
I will be cooking my very first gluten free Thanksgiving. Since I am also type 2 diabetic, I will be watching the sugar too. I was sad at first, cause I love dressing, noodles, rolls, and pumpkin pie. But, I had to put on my big girl panties and realize I can no longer eat wheat products. I have had issues with wheat for a couple of years. I finally decided that eating something that tasted good wasn't worth the suffering I had afterwards. My joints ache and I get so stuffy in my head that I can't breathe good after eating wheat. If I eat it in extreme, I get hives. Not fun.

Anyway, I will be cooking a turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy (gravy thickened with corn starch), steamed sweet potatoes (None of that sugar and marshmallows on them.) green beans, salad, and pumpkin pudding (Like pumpkin pie, but without the crust.). I bought a cup of heavy whipping cream. I will whip it and add a bit of stevia instead of cool whip. It will just be dh and I here this year, so we should have leftovers for a few days. LOL I am kind of looking forward to it, now. I know there are lots of things to substitute for wheat flour, but most of them are very high in carbs and calories. So we opted to just eliminate the wheat containing things. I have been looking for recipes of other goodies to have, so the menu can change. (grin)

Replies

• wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    You've taken control...good for you! It is an adjustment. But you are right..it's not worth it.

Have a wonderful holiday.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    It's my first gf Thanksgiving, too. Just going to be hubby and me and we're going to try making stuffing with gluten free bread cubes. Just read about them today. Your menu sounds delicious and very healthy.:flowerforyou:
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    I made gf dressing last year for the first time and it actually worked out just fine. I used my mom's recipe but just altered to all gf ingredients (gf bread, gf chicken broth, butter, salt/pepper/poultry seasoning, celery, onions). One note, for best results, toast the gf bread and then cut into cubes before adding other ingredients. Also, I didn't cook mine in the bird as my hubby deep-fries our turkey (I know, so unhealthy but very yummy). I also made gravy using gf all-purpose flour and even my picky non-gluten-free family members didn't notice the difference.

Also, you can make a gf pumpkin pie by using crushed gf ginger snaps for your crust. =)