What is your TSH?

Options

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Mine is 0 and I still needed more meds. My free T3 and free T4 were not high enough. TSH is a useless lab when it comes to hypo treatment.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • lizzyriver
    lizzyriver Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine was 6.0 in August now is 3.82 on 125 mg Synthroid and Dr says normal range. But I feel much better when it is around 1.5 or 2. I've just recently felt like I have a lump in my throat and wondering if I have developed a thyroid nodule? Fun never ends!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    my TSH, T4 and T3 are all within normal range. It took endocrinologist about 8 months after surgery removing 1/2 to get the dose correct (she told me it could be up to one year). She added cytomel to the synthroid and that made all of the difference with energy. Synthroid in a.m. with cytomel and more cytomel at 1 P.M. No more hair loss and no more 2-3 hour naps in afternoon and more clear thinking. It is rather complicated and specialized....changes the dose after tests and calculates the dose very carefully using a formula that I do not understand...I had to take algebra over and that was 50 years ago. Good luck with your doc. hunting!

Shivits,
    My Endo put me on 1 Grain of Armour, then Cytomel once with the Armour in the AM. Last visit he added another Cytomel for the afternoon. I'm curious, do you eat at regular hours and have any trouble remembering to take the Cytomel in the afternoon. I don't always eat at the same time and have a hard time regulating the meds. How do you handle the time frames for your meds??.

Hope I made sense.

Ginny:flowerforyou:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have all my labs and other than the TSH, which isnt really "bad", my levels look pretty good but I have almost every hypoT symptom you can imagine. I also have multi-nodule goiter with one of the nodules being fairly large. My old endo had said that when my levels were normal that the goiter and nodules should reduce in size. It has been almost a year, they have not reduced in size but they have not gotten bigger either. I also just found out that I have a cyst on my left ovary that is slightly larger than the ovary itself. I do have PCOS but my Dr. was concerned that this one particular cyst is so big, especially since I havent had cysts for a long time. I will be seeing a new endo next Thursday and I am really keeping my fingers crossed that he will look at the WHOLE picture and treat for the symptoms rather than a number on a piece of paper.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm at 4.8
  • reptilegrrl
    reptilegrrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Shivits,
    My Endo put me on 1 Grain of Armour, then Cytomel once with the Armour in the AM. Last visit he added another Cytomel for the afternoon. I'm curious, do you eat at regular hours and have any trouble remembering to take the Cytomel in the afternoon. I don't always eat at the same time and have a hard time regulating the meds. How do you handle the time frames for your meds??.

It is very strange for a doctor to add cytomel on top of Armour. This is because pig thyroid actually already has more T3 than humans naturally make. So on Armour, you really shouldn't need MORE T3. I worry that your balance may be way off.

Instead of just taking more T3 in the afternoon, why not split your dose of Armour between the two times of day?
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    My first test showed 8,3. I've been on 50 mcg of Levothyroxin for about 6 weeks and just went in yesterday for a follow up
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I started at, but my labwork from about 2 months ago, I was 7. My endo wants me to be at highest 2. I got a ways to go.. I definitely do NOT feel normal. I'm always fatigued and tired, sore, fat, depressed. It's really getting old!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I started at, but my labwork from about 2 months ago, I was 7. My endo wants me to be at highest 2. I got a ways to go.. I definitely do NOT feel normal. I'm always fatigued and tired, sore, fat, depressed. It's really getting old!

This last time I went in my TSH was at 9. No wonder I felt like hell!!! I am hoping the new dose of Armour will help. Yes, it gets old. Some days I just want to stay in bed and not move and just forget about everything for awhile. Then reality (usually in the form of my kids) knocks me upside the head and kicks my *kitten* out of bed.
  • wonessa86
    Options
    I was diagnosed with graves disease almost 3yrs ago and my tsh was 0.03 then. Had my thyroid removed 7 months ago and as of yesterday my tsh is at 7.89...but my endo says my tsh is not high enough to warrant my symptoms!! Yeah cos I just like making them up for fun...??? But he's upped my thyroxine so I'm happy, and I'll have another blood test in 2 months
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It horrifies me how many uneducated endocrinologists who refuse to remain current with research there seem to be out there. The diagnostic criteria for hypothyroid recently dropped from TSH of 4.5 to 3.5 and is expected to further drop to 2.5 within the next few years. Yet, labs still list the old diagnostic criteria of 4.5 as the highest acceptable level. My understanding is that the golden number for TSH level is 1.0-1.9 relative to the resolution of the person's symptoms. There is no one size fits all. If your endocrinologist tells you otherwise, then it is time to find yourself a new one.

That is what I had to do. I had symptoms for years, and my mother nagged me to get checked for hypothyroidism since it runs in the family. I finally did, and my TSH was 4.96, but my GP didn't want to treat for such a slightly high number. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist that my friend recommended. Aside from having no bedside manner, he refused to treat me because I tested negative for the Hashimoto's antibody even though he acknowledged the my thyroid was dead because it showed dark and hard on examination and my TSH was still 3.25. He told me I just needed to loose weight, which is actually when I joined here. After months of shame and loosing twenty pounds without feeling better, I went to another endocrinologist. My TSH was back up to 4.25, and this is when she told me about the above diagnostic criteria and that some people, especially with strong family histories, can have nonspecific hypothyroidism with no known cause. However, she still wanted to treat me. My TSH was 1.9 last visit and we agreed to up my dose one final time to get the numbers lower in preparation for pregnancy.

Sorry to ramble, but my point to everyone here is that, if you know something is wrong, keep going to doctors until you find one that takes you seriously. Even if medicine isn't the immediate answer, acknowledgement that your concerns and symptoms are real is something a doctor worth visiting should do!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate that many/most doctors based thyroid diagnosis and dosing based on TSH alone. TSH is NOT a good indicator of thyroid function - it's not a thyroid hormone (comes from your pituitary) and the very act of supplementing messes up the negative feedback loop between your pituitary and your thyroid.

Every set of lab work should include testing of free (not total) T3 and free T4, and dosing should be based on these levels.

"Normal" vs. "Optimal": it's also sadly all too common for doctor to say your levels are "fine" or "normal", when they are at the bottom of the range. You should be aiming for at least above mid-point, and ideally in the top 1/3 of the range your lab uses for free T3/T4.

As well, free T3 is the active form of thyroid hormone that does all the work - so even if your free T4 is normal you could have a low T3 and be symptomatic and technically hypothyroid. It's actually quite common, especially in people who are taking synthetic T4-only meds like synthroid and levothyroxine.

You should also get your Vit D, B12, ferratin and selenium checked on a regular basis, as these are critical in converting T4 into T3.

And everything artslady96 said above. :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I was at 3.8 forever and felt like crud. Finally convinced a doc to up the overall medication level by adding cytomel. Now I'm at 2.4 and feel much better. I don't know why these docs are so stingy with the thyroid meds. I mean, if "normal" is .5-5, why the hell not just treat it down to 2 instead of 4 if people still have the symptoms that brought them in for treatment in the first place?
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That's great advice!
    My TSH wasn't treated until it got to 7-something, and even then when I got referred to my endo, he told me I could just stop taking the levotyroxine, and not to be referred back until my TSH was 8 or above. I couldn't believe what I heard, levothyroxine was finally making me feel better and now they wanted to make me stop taking it! Thank god my GP told me I could keep taking it.
    Weirdly enough, two months later I got my levels retested and they still looked high so my GP called my endo and he told her to up my dose from 25mcg to 50... Imagine my stunned face XD

Unfortunately I can't just choose another doctor since I have to deal with the national health system ;( i hope i can buy some private insurance soon
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    In January 2011, after about a year of not being able to afford medications because I lost my job, I was tested at TSH 361 and Free T4 at .21 They immediately started my medications again (at the last dosage I was on) and started testing me again. I tested out at 1.28 in March so they left me alone. Then in August I was feeling awful again and asked to be tested, he only tested my TSH and it was 3.61... He didn't feel that needed a change in medication.

I still feel like crap but, lucky me! My levels are just fine so there's nothing to worry about, right? :mad:
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just had mine tested. It's 1.5. I take 100 mcg of Levothyroxine.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It was 6.89 when I was diagnosed. Last test it was 2.64 and she wants to get it down closer to 1. I'm currently on 100 mcg of Levothyroxine. Hopefully next test will be closer to 1.
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    I started out at .25 Levo when my TSH levels were at 14; then I stabilized at TSH 3 for a year. Then I was bumped to .75 after I tested with a TSH back up to 8 this summer. Now I'm on .88 because with the jump I went from the 8 back down to TSH at 5 .

If I have to take this medicine for the rest of my life, will the amount of Levo. keep increasing? Does the body get immune or tolerant and the med stops working at the lower level?

And why would my TSH levels climb if I took my medicine faithfully (every morning at 4:45 with 8oz of water and waited 1.5 hour to eat)?

Anyone know? I need to ask my doc but I am just starting to formulate questions.
  • Mjolner
    Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 6 years ago at TSH 6.6, then while taking levo continued to shoot up. TSH was at 50+ before it started to turn back down. Every 3-6 months the perscription was being upped. It hasn't been stable until ths year and I now run at a TSH 4.5-4.6 for the last 6 months on 325mcg of Synthroid.

If the thyroid is failing it may continue to decline in function over time. Some have also suggested that when introducing Levo or Syntroid the Thyroid gets "lazy" and doesn't work as hard. Don't know if I subscribe to that thought though.

I take mine at night, before going to bed and at least 3 hours after a mea/snack. I found it much easier to do then getting up in the middle of the night, or first thing in the morning. I am a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, and I like my milk or kefir, and if I skip I am generally not feeling well untill I eat something. Since Calcium reduces the effectiveness of Synthroid or Levothyroxine I didn't want risk the effectivness if I didn't wait long enough. Doc said 30 Min, but I have heard others say 2 hours.

Almost everyone posting have in my mind firly low dozes of levothyroxine/Synthroid, I am wondering if anyone else is such a high dose. I am wondering what their experience was and what they are doing now. I have never been on armor but I am seriously wondering if the continued increase of Synthroid is a dead end.

There are so many symptoms related to HypoT, but the once I experienced where weight gain and difficulty loosing weight. Despite strict diets and execise. Cold, though at the moment I only feel that at night or after exercise. Joint aches that are worse in the mornings and not in the eveing. Itching, it drives me nuts and moisturisers help but doesn't remove it.

What I have not experienced is depression, complete fatigue, and other mood related disorders. Well, none that I attribute to Thyroid function anyway. :-)
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine is 0.01 and no one can tell me why I cant lose weight!! Very frustrated, as I was once very hyperthyroid, but ive never been skinny. I was off meds completly for many years, then was told i was slightly hypo thyroid, and put on 1 mcg....I was feeling good on this, but now they tell me im normal, i am FAT unable to lose weight despite excercising and eating well (not lately).......Im at my wits end and so incredibly frustrated its ridiculous!:cry: