total rookie, looking for advice!

Options
alane15
alane15 Posts: 121 Member
I apologize if this has already been asked in an earlier thread....

I am just considering pursuing some training in martial arts. In the past I have participated in a lot of organized sports but never any fighting or self defense. There is a lot of different martial art styles/types and it's a little overwhelming. What advice or resources can you give me to help me figure out where to start?

I know I should look into different facilities around me and see what gets my attention/feels right.

You may also wonder what I want to get out of it, I would like the training to be physical and a good work out. I am also interested in progression, continuously learning and improving (I'm not sure if all areas of martial arts are progressive or just some). Self defense or situational fighting skills could be useful as well.

I am a 24 year old female and in fairly good shape and very active.

I appreciate any advice you have!

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I do Tae Kwon Do, have done for 3 years now. But when i was looking to start a martial art, I looked around my local area for classes that were running. Most were offering the 1st class for free, so I tried a few.

More recently I've been on an enforced break to my training, so I have been doing Jiu Jitsu instead. It is a case of trying it out and seeing what's right for you.
  • alane15
    Options
    Ok great, I'll look around here for some introductory/free classes. Are there any good resources for learning about the different types of martial arts or did you just learn in the studio?
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, for what is worth, when new people ask me about martial arts.

1. First I pretty much always recommend Jujitsu above all other styles. I feel it gives a person the most tools for any situation in terms of defense. However, the instructor's teachings and abilities need to be considered. While I am a proponent of joint-locks and small joint manipulation, only training those will leave you deficient in say striking for example.

2. More importantly, price and location. You certainly need to check around all the schools in your area and see about pricing. $200 a month is going to be pretty high for anyone, regardless of training.

3. Fun. Pick a school or gum and a style that you think you will enjoy. If you hate being thrown, something like Judo is obviously not going to be up your alley. If you don't enjoy something, you won't do it for long.

4. Since you mention you want a good workout, ask about what kind of conditioning or cardio they do when you start looking at schools. I will use my gym as an example, every class we do 20-25min of conditioning first and at the end of class of every class we either roll or spar, for at least 2, 5min rounds. Something like Krav Maga, while I am not a fan of the teachings per say, can be a good cardio workout if that's what you look for.

5. As for information on styles, use wikipedia and always ask around. Even ask here, as their are a wide range of styles and disciplines covered here by group members. Just be careful of claims or exaggerated records. Generally, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Stuff like dim mok and the dreaded mcdojo's are always lurking around :)
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I do taekwondo, and I love it. We get a great workout, and lots of individual attention. Plus, my son is in it too, so we get to have a 'thing' that's just ours.
    Good luck on what you decide to try, and let us know!!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    best thing is to look at all the schools... anything more than 50 a month is not worth it unless it is personal training..except that has its limits as well... if you want a good work i would suggest a style such as tae kwon do. or other standing style art. .. stay away from the olympic style tkd though.. when u check out the schools..make sure they do a variety of things and make sure they are going to be doing something u r in to... i have checked out several schools over the years and some do a ton of exercise and less martial arts...or pick only one or 2 things and that is all u do for that class. i like a variety.. itf style tae kwon do is best in my opinion for this... u get a mix.. warm ups, patterns, stretches, kicks, techniques and sparring all in one class and occationally breaking. some schools do padding sparring, some do non contact and some do both... i prefer both.. but currently the school im in only does non contact. do some research and make sure u get a good school... i have seen some sloppy training.
  • alane15
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm going to look into Jujitsu and Taekwondo. Money will be a factor (I've read that martial arts can get expensive) I'll have to see what I can afford! Thanks again for the info!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Aikido is something you might want to consider as well. It takes many years to learn well and you never stop growing and improving. Plus it is a blast to be thrown, roll, get up and do it again :)
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm going to look into Jujitsu and Taekwondo. Money will be a factor (I've read that martial arts can get expensive) I'll have to see what I can afford! Thanks again for the info!

Can't go wrong with TKD. (no offense to the BJJ practitioners)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    LOL as you can see we all have our art of choice. if you can try different ones out, go for it and make your own decision, you'll get out what you put in.

I agree it does get pricey with training fees, grading fees and equipment, but if you enjoy it the expense is worth it.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Check out all your options & see what style you like best, I think you'll find one that you enjoy more..go with that. I train in WTF Olympic style TKD. We do a lot of conditioning (2classes a week just on this-you need to be fit to do well in sparring & in the regular tkd classes), kicking, self defense, poomse, and of course sparring. I do more sparring than the others in my class because that is what I am interested in. I would take it with a grain if salt anyone who tells you to avoid one martial art over another as you won't know until you try.

Good luck with your choice, let us know what you decide!!
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend jiu jitsu, but depends on the places nearby. If you don't want to grapple I would recommend muay thai for a striking style.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I would recommend joining a gym that offers different styles... it might take a month or more of classes to figure out what really resonates with you. I started at my gym thinking that muay thai would be my thing and realized after a few months of doing muay thai a few times a week and traditional boxing a few times a week that traditional boxing was more my style. Also, there is absolutely no reason that you can't train in more than one style.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    You should let us know what types of schools are in your area. We could give better advice knowing that. I am a black belt in TKD but i wish i would have done a diferent style when it comes to self defense. However TKD is great for flexability and excercise. You will get the most excercise in sparring. Forms, also called a Kata in other martial arts, have there purpose but they are not great for excercise.

Also, take into consideration the cost of belt promotions. Some schools really get there money by ripping you off for belt testing. Other schools only really charge for the cost of the belt. Just make sure you are joining a school that wants to help you train and not just take your money in every way they can. Don't just talk to the school when researching. Take the time to actually communicate with other students. Especcially those students that appear to be similer to you.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would add to all this: make sure that the martial arts school does not require a ridiculous contract. Read everything closely! A school close to me has all sorts of shady practices to get people to sign multi-year contracts. The school I attend has a month-to-month, thirty-day notice program. Students can get a lower price by signing a contract; for example, my family saves $50/month with our contract. However, if you aren't sure that you like a place or its schedule, then the higher price of going without a contract is worth it.

To get the most out of your membership, you should plan to go at least two or three times a week. That will lower the cost per visit to something more manageable.

Look for a school that offers a logical progression through the ranks and a measurable curriculum. You don't want to earn rank just because you write a check every month. They need to be unafraid to fail their students.

Don't join any school that offers a curriculum that could potentially get you a black belt in less than three years. You want to earn your black belt knowing that it gives you a level of expertise comparable to other black belts your age and gender, no matter where they learned.

If you're planning to enroll your child, make sure that the instructors have background checks. You'd be surprised how many schools don't investigate their instructors.
  • alane15
    Options
    you guys have been a big help, thanks for the info! I'm still looking around my area!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    hi all
    I am also new to martial arts and I am thinking about learning tae kwon do. there is a school maybe a 5 minute walk from home which is handy! classes start up again in a couple of weeks. I can go a long for a few session for free to see how I like it.
    I am just nervous as I feel so uncordinated and unbalanced , like I am going to make a complete d1ck of myself.
    Can you remember what your first ever lesson was like? any tips? thanks!

I am learning because I have always wanted to and kept putting it off ( ie chickening out) and have decided I don't want to look back in life and regret not doing it. I also want to improve fitness, confidence etc. not really into the competition side of things
  • RockstarJ
    Options
    I've always like the more traditional styles...specifically Okinawan Goju-Ryu....I've also trained in TKD and Hapkido. I did some American Freestyle for a little while though I'm not a big fan of that. My favorite was probably the Goju-Ryu. It really all boils down to personal preference.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something intense and different that will get you will prepared if you ever get attacked, consider Krav Maga. It's the fighting format they teach to the Israeli Special Forces. I've done it before and love it.

Like the others have said, try some places out and see what works best for you. A lot of different styles are effective if you stay motivated to learn the curriculum and keep going to classes.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Seconding the shout-out for Krav Maga! Even though I'd argue that Krav Maga isn't a martial art; it's learning to survive a street fight. There are a lot of exercise drills, which are an incredible cardio workout in and of themselves, plus a good bit of conditioning work. The calorie burns are also higher than in most martial arts.

Another way you might see what looks like the right style for you is to watch youtube clips of this discovery channel program called "Fight Quest." These two guys basically travel around the world to learn about differing fighting styles, and then going against the practitioners. It's worth watching the krav maga episode JUST to see the MMA fighter get his *kitten* whooped by a tiny Israeli woman. Scratch that: it's worth watching just to see a female martial arts instructor!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    When I was looking into the different arts, and they are all really good, but Taekwondo uses more of your overall body. I started off at the community center taking it about3 years ago. Took it for 5, had to drop out for about 3, but now I'm back into the Ho Am Taekwondo through the ITA academy.
    I despise exercise, but I love life skills. Martial arts is definitely one of them, plus, it keeps you limber. I love Taekwondo, but I'm biased. :bigsmile:

We do traditional forms, traditional sparring, and we recently took up E-CAS (street fighting). I don't know how this compares to Krav Maga that I've heard about, but it keeps you on your toes.