Hashimoto's - new territory for me

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I was just (today) diagnosed with Hashi's. I have had hypoT forever but just got a new endo willing to dig a little deeper. Is there anything different I should do? I read somewhere that a gluten free diet helps with the symptoms. Does anyone find this to be true. Any insight, advice, etc. would be appreciated! I am happy to have an answer but it seems to have opened up a whole new book of questions!

Replies

• stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your new diagnosis. I have Hashimoto's as well, and from what my doctor's told me, it can cause nodules to grow on your thyroid. My doctor has me get a thyroid ultrasound every six months to see if the nodules have grown or if any look suspicious. If they're concerned about a nodule, then they will do a needle biopsy and have it sent to pathology to examine. I had a needle biopsy done back in the spring (it sounds worse than it is).

Also, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is an auto-immune disease, and once you have one auto-immune disease, you have the potential to have another auto-immune disease (also something else the doctor told me).

Because there is inflammation involved with Hashimoto's, my doctor wanted me to to be on an anti-inflammatory diet. I tried, but I found it too restrictive and wimped out.

Hope that helps some.
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    Yes, I have many nodules on my thyroid, one is pretty big. I just had a biopsy done not too long ago by my old endo and he said everything was fine. According to my new endo, who read the lab report, they didnt get enough material in the biopsy to get definitive results so he wants to do another one soon.

I have read that a gluten free diet is better than just a standard diet. I am already low carbing but there are a few low carb/gluten containing things that I will find EXTREMELY hard to give up. I guess I have to get my priorities in line.

I guess I am just not sure what else I could/should be doing to help myself feel better and lose weight. I didnt know that once you had an auto-immune disease that you are prone to others! I will have to remember that!
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I didnt know that once you had an auto-immune disease that you are prone to others! I will have to remember that!

http://www.healthnowmedical.com/blog/2012/05/15/is-avoid-autoimmune-disease-slowly-killing-you-get-tested/

Sorry I couldn't provide a scholarly web site (too lazy to go hunting that deep!), but on the third item under "Key Facts That Should Get Your Attention" it confirms that once you have one autoimmune disease you're likely to get another. Sadly, it doesn't go into detail why.

On the same Web site, there is a tab on gluten-free diets:
    http://www.healthnowmedical.com/am-i-gluten-sensitive/gluten-foods/

I am sure there are a lot of gluten-free sites available if one is so motivated to look! Ha! Not me! I love me some gluten! Just kidding! :wink:
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    Me too! I can give up most all types of carbs but please dont make me give up my low carb tortillas - its like torture!
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos also, and yes Gluten free would be of benefit. I am not totally gluten free but probably am 75%. I take armour thyroid which works much better for me than synthroid or Levoxyl/Levothyroxine
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's as well. Because it is an auto-immune disease there will be some good days and some bad days, but it sounds like you've been living with that for some time anyway and were only just diagnosed. I've heard the same about gluten free diets and hashimotos. I tend to feel better with a low-carb diet, which tends to be mostly gluten free foods anyway. I'm not going to limit all gluten in my diet. I have a friend that did this "just because" and find it way too restrictive socially if it isn't absolutely necessary, but that is my personal preference. I haven't quite made the connection between gluten and hashimoto's.

My personal experience is it's more about the carbs than the gluten for me. For me, low-carb tortillas > rice > pasta. Rice may be the gluten-free option, but I'll choose a low carb alternative to rice if I can. Having a food journal definitely helps you see what works for you personally and what doesn't. It helps you notice trends with certain foods. If I feel horrible one day, I can look back and see what I ate that deviated from the norm. However, that being said, eating what I know works for me helps reduce the fluctuations, but it doesn't eliminate them! Other triggers for me include lack of sleep and overdoing it (so have to take it slow when starting a new exercise routine).

Also, I have yearly ultrasounds to check the nodules and enlargement of my goiter.

Edit: I also get my levels checked every 6 months. Since you're body is attacking your thyroid, your dosage will need to go up periodically. I asked my doctor point blank how long it would take for my thyroid to "die." His response was it could be next year or 20 years from now, but he calculated the maximum dosage to likely be around 150mcg of synthroid for my current weight. I'm at 75 now.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have had Hashi's for several years. What has worked for me is the gluten free diet, lots of veggies some fruit, stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I do cheat with bread on occasion but not every day. Also, healthy fats are wonderful avocado, coconut oil, olive oil flax seed oil I do not limit these at all.

Once I switched to Armour my antibody levels went from a high of 4000 to the 300-400 range. I can tell when I have ate too much processed foods as my inflammation gets bad. This is very hard in the winter when I crave the heavy comfort foods during our cold rainy weather (live in Seattle). Also, stay away from any stimulant alcohol and caffeine are not your friends. I do still drink coffee but, I also drink a lot of water. Keep and eye on your stress and if you feel really drained have your adrenals checked. I also have adrenal fatigue and have learned to listen to my body.

Best of luck!