PCOS , Metformin and Birth Control

Options
Hey Ladies! I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years back, and am happy to admit with the help of myfitnesspal i was able to lose enough weight to have a child! Anyways, i am wondering if anyone is on metformin AND birthcontrol? From my understanding, metformin helps with insulin resistance... but my dr. will only prescribe it if i am trying to concieve... I live in a small town with bad health care providers... Anyone else been prescribed Metformin even though they are not trying to get pregnant??? Thanks :)

Replies

• glitteringloke
    Options
    I'm on glumetza (brand metformin) and i just started the birth control to try and help with some of the other side effects. I was semi regular (every 5 or so weeks) before metformin, and nothing really changed with that. But I'm hoping the pill makes the evil death cramps go away. So far, i've been having the most unusual (in an unpleasant way) period of my life and i'm 11 days into the pill... We'll see how things proceed...
  • stonecraft
    stonecraft Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate! I have PCOS (was diagnosed about 3 months ago) and was instructed to start talking Metformin (twice a day) and birth control (brand I'm on is Apri 21). Beware of the terrible diarrhea that comes with taking Metformin. I take Immodium almost every day because it has been terrible. However, ever since I've been on both the Metformin and the birth control, I've realized that I have much more success in losing weight. I get really bad hot flashes almost every other day and menstrual cramps are worse than I've ever had before. I do get my menzies on the regular and have had an easier time shedding weight so I think it is beneficial for sure.
  • katanderson
    Options
    Thanks guys, I actually have an appt on Tuesday regarding my PCOS, so in hoping to get some answers, and things straightened out! But usually my dr just shrugs things off! Terrible, I know!!
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have been on BC for years and it helps with the cycles, but now having an issues with the estrogen being too much. Doctor is in the process of finding something I can afford. Just started back on Metformin and only on it once a day. Upset my stomach at first, but that seems to have calmed down. Hoping everything works out. Been trying to lose the weight as well because I do want to conceive eventually.