Early Labor Symptoms

Options
vonalj
vonalj Posts: 124 Member
What are some signs of early labor that you have experienced??? Anyone experience diarrhea? If so, how soon was it before things got rollin?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What are some signs of early labor that you have experienced??? Anyone experience diarrhea? If so, how soon was it before things got rollin?

I had my son at 38w6d. The afternoon of 38w4d I had a doctor's appointment where my OB checked me, and then the next day (38w5d) I lost my mucous plug in late morning and then continually throughout the day (sorry, TMI, but it doesn't all come out at once). I was fine during the day and didn't think anything of it because my sister had opposite ends of the spectrum with her mucous plug (with one baby, she went into labor the night she lost hers, and with her second, she lost it and then was induced 10 days later).

That night I went to bed around 11 and woke up around 11:30 with contractions. I hadn't had any Braxton-Hicks contractions before, but I'd learned from childbirth class that they can be "walked off." Well, I went downstairs and couldn't walk them off, which meant they were "real" contractions, and then I started having diarrhea (sorry again for TMI).

I called my OB, went to the hospital around 1AM, etc., and one of the routine questions they asked me was whether I had had diarrhea at home when my contractions started. I said that I had, and they seemed pleased to hear it. I think it is a normal thing, and the upside to it is that you are cleared out. (I didn't poop during L&D.) Not to give you even more information you don't need, but it wasn't horrible, explosive diarrhea or anything, like if you were sick. It was just really loose stools.

All in all, my son was born around 10:30AM, so about 24 hours after I lost my mucous plug and less than 12 hours after I started having contractions with diarrhea.
  • vonalj
    Options
    I lost my mp last night also along with the gi upset...experienced nausea today and not feeling so hot...hoping something happens soon!
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've read that diarrhoea can be an early labor sign. i lost my mucus plug in the day then that night i woke through thenight thinking something was a bit strange and came downstairs, no sooner was i downstairs and just sat on the sofa and my waters broke (big gush!) i went to the loo and there was a pop and a second gush! (hind waters). my contractions then started instantly and continued for 36 hours until little one was born. no other early signs other than the plug but fingers crossed a bout of diarrhoea is your early signs. :-) hope your little one arrives soon! looking forward to hearing more :-)
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lost my mucus plug this morning and am 37w 1d, on Monday I was already 2+cm dilated, but still no contractions...I am waiting...could be any time or I could go late like with my first according to my Dr...I think like with everything else about pregnancy no one really knows why people deliver when...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Good question.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    With my baby #1, I only lost my mucus plug on the day I went to labour. I never had any predicting sign either. One day, I waked up at the middle of the night for one contraction, 1 hr later I had an other one. I went to pee, and noticed my pj is already wet, and I suspect that I did't peed myself, but my water broke. At that point, regular contraction started and I waked up my dh . He showered got dressed and we headed to the hospital within an other hr. In the car my contraction were already 3 minutes apart, and at admission I was 4 cm dialated . All the sudden, I got really nauseas, and a second later I throw up on the nurse , oops. The nurse sent me to the delivery room asap. By the time, I got to the room ,I had to rush to the toilet with diarrhea and within 3 hrs I was fully dialated and ready to push. There was less like 10 hr or less between the very first contraction and the baby arrival.

The whole thing happened so fast without much predicting symptoms However I was only 1 day shy of my EDD, so it was expected to happen.

My current pregnancy is so much different, it would not surprise me if I will have aq very different delivery experience
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I lost my mp last night also along with the gi upset...experienced nausea today and not feeling so hot...hoping something happens soon!

I hope that means you are ready to go :happy:
  • vonalj
    Options
    So apparantly I've been continuing to lose my MP. It started on thanksgiving and have had 5 differenent appearances of it since. My dr. said that its completely normal. Had my 39wk appt last night. Big guy is measuring at 42wks. 2cm! Woohoo! They are anticipating him being a big boy, US 2wks ago said he was 8lb7oz. Dr. said it could be any day, we'll see!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    So apparantly I've been continuing to lose my MP. It started on thanksgiving and have had 5 differenent appearances of it since. My dr. said that its completely normal. Had my 39wk appt last night. Big guy is measuring at 42wks. 2cm! Woohoo! They are anticipating him being a big boy, US 2wks ago said he was 8lb7oz. Dr. said it could be any day, we'll see!

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are really close :happy: