Out in public vs. at home

Options
I dunno about you guys, but I am sososo much worse with binging when I am home. Out in front of people, I barely eat and people think I'm starving myself. It's getting worse and worse. Back on track today, but still its a distinct pattern :/

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am very self conscious if someone I am eating with, eats less than me. My mum doesn't eat much at all, probably 1000 calories or less a day, and even though she is 2 sizes bigger than me, I still get upset, and frustrated that I could never get by eating so little. Mind you, I am 27 years younger and 6 inches taller than her.

In private, unless I am bingeing, I eat pretty much the same as when with others, only I have more control over what I eat, so it is healthier. When I am in binge mode, I eat quantities of junk food that go beyond belief, as much as 5000 calories in a sitting.
  • wlucy1288
    wlucy1288 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive had one of those days today and just about everyday for the past few weeks. so hard to stay on track. for me i eat just as much when .i'm out too.:ohwell:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    This is totally what I do.

I eat so healthy in front of people, sometimes people even tell me I need to eat more.

Sometimes, I get invited to a meal and I had a binge that day, so I dread even eating at all (I usually have lack of hunger and feel sick - more food won't help!)

People don't understand... eh.
  • RavenBeauty87
    RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That's all part of the problem. No one knows you have an issue with food because you eat so well in front of them or not at all. People would always ask me why I have trouble losing weight and I always did the pity party of "I don't know. Something must be wrong with me." But they didn't know I would go home and eat for hours till I was sick. Even though I'm a loner lately I have been forcing myself to be around someone. When I'm alone it goes down hill from there and I make myself go to bed as early as I can because if I stay up too long I just start snacking (which easily turns into 1'000 in a few minutes) For the most part I don't think there is a true binger out there that does it in front of someone else and if they do it is probably a spouse or someone that is always around them and even then they hide it the best they can. This is so sad but I remember I would go to the store for my normal shopping list and then buying snacks and sitting in the car eating them as fast as I can because I didn't want my husband to see me eat it.
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's a 2-sided coin.

Generally speaking, I find it harder to manage what I eat when I'm away from home, especially at a place where there aren't many healthy options. When eating at home, I can stick to a shopping list and keep tight control over what's in the house.

On the other side of the coin, I live alone so it is also easy to binge if I lose control. But Ive been keeping that under better control lately due to the previous paragraph (keeping control of what I buy at the supermarket to keep in the house).
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Most of my binges happen at home, either when I am alone, or even around my family.....

However, my worst binges, by far, happen at parties......

When I go play poker, by the end of the night, I can barley get home and to bed because I am so full and bloated. I have no problem eating mass amounts of food in front of other people, even if I do not know some of them. When it is a social event where there is lots of food around, I have no control at all.

So while the majority of my binges happen at home, that is only because I am home way more than I am out, of course. But the worse binges are always at a social event, I am totally a social eater......
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My worst binges by far are when I'm home alone. Day after day, sweet and salty, as much as I can stuff in. I also manage to eat a lot in front of other people - I pretty much finish off the tortilla basket by myself when out with others at a Mexican restaurant. I'd like to be writing this in past tense, but I don't know if I can.
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Mine are at home and usually when alone. When I am at parties I usually don't eat too much, just nibble on a few things. I would never stuff my face in front of people like I do when I am alone. I guess that is my shame in all of it and I know what I am doing is so bad for my body.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I dunno about you guys, but I am sososo much worse with binging when I am home. Out in front of people, I barely eat and people think I'm starving myself. It's getting worse and worse. Back on track today, but still its a distinct pattern :/

TOTALLY RELATE TO THiS ): I can literally starve myself when with people but once i'm home I just wanna eat everything.... And even when you tell people 'I try to eat less/not eat in public because I cannot control myself in private, I literally eat way more than you' and they don't believe because I just eat very little in front of them..

Thing is, I don't like going out / being with people when i'm heavier, so this is not working well for me ):
  • mamawoz
    mamawoz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My binges are always alone. I'm a model eater in front of others. My in-laws are really weight conscious and totally judge people by how they look and make comments like "c'mon eat, we know you must like to eat". I have trigger times and trigger foods but the time seems to be more dangerous than the foods. Always from the time I get home from work (whenever that is) to about 7 p.m. it's like it's my way of winding down or doing just for me. I've tried to apply other ways of relaxing but I somehow feel "trapped" in the kitchen cause the kids are hungry, I gotta make dinner, the dog wants to get fed all these things I need to get going before I can even have a thought to myself. I was doing so well earlier in the year and now I'm totally off track and feel I will never be a normal person.
  • 14coopera
    14coopera Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm the same way. I basically can't be alone with food in the house. As long as someone is there, then I don't binge. but the second that I'm alone, I let my day be ruined in just a few short minutes. The best thing for me is to be constantly busy doing things like working, playing sports, etc. Anything to keep me away from the house.
  • helenld1
    helenld1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I basically can't be alone with food in the house.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I ate a WHOLE bar of cooking chocolate (yes, cooking chocolate!) last week just because it was the only sweet thing in the house and I was alone. :grumble:
  • esballet
    esballet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My binges are always worse when I'm alone, but I can overeat around others as long as I'm not the only one doing it. Say I go to a restaraunt with friends and they all eat a whole burger and fries and desert; I have no problem doing the same. Or if I'm hanging out with a group of girls and we are all eating a ton of cookies or something. But if the people around me are eating reasonably, I will too.
  • freertobe
    Options
    I usually eat a reasonable amount in front of others. Sure, I'll overeat / overindulge at parties where everybody else is doing the same, but I won't have an actual binge the way I do at home.

When I'm at home, I'll graze for hours, taking in thousands of calories at a time. I sometimes look forward to it, then of course feel horrible afterwards.
  • Reboundingwife
    Options
    When I am behind closed doors it is worst. I would be embarrassed if people knew how much I could eat. I am always preaching about healthy raw food eating and juicing and then when I binge everything I preach is forgotten. I just recently saw a quote that said "what you eat in private will show in public" good thing to keep in mind
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's almost a lose-lose battle with me.

Out in social settings, like parties, potluck, restaurants I tend to eat a bit more, and go over in calories.

By myself, when in binge mode, I eat WAY too much. It's a double-edged sword. :(
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a reasonable amount in front of others. Sure, I'll overeat / overindulge at parties where everybody else is doing the same, but I won't have an actual binge the way I do at home.

When I'm at home, I'll graze for hours, taking in thousands of calories at a time. I sometimes look forward to it, then of course feel horrible afterwards.

This is my problem. I knew I had a serious problem when I realized I look forward to binging/thinking about what food I am going to stuff my face with. I always feel horrible after, and say "remember this terrible feeling next time" and yet, I do it again.
  • dietkat
    dietkat Posts: 17
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a model eater out in public, but I'm generally pretty healthy, because my job is active and I can't really afford to not eat well most of the time-- I'll be too exhausted to get through the day. My binges are generally during my breaks or at the end of a work day, at home.

I find myself not actually enjoying the foods I binge on outside of the time I binge. Like I binge on a lot of candy, but don't actually like the candy I'm bingeing on at all in any other context. Does that make sense? Does anybody else do that?

How do you guys deal with bingeing at home? I try to get myself out of the house if it's a long period at home (go window shopping or something), or if it's after work, I've been trying to chill with a cup of herbal tea and snuggle with a stuffed animal (because I'm twelve.) Sometimes these things work, sometimes not. Thoughts?
  • ashleyolivia
    ashleyolivia Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This is my problem. I knew I had a serious problem when I realized I look forward to binging/thinking about what food I am going to stuff my face with. I always feel horrible after, and say "remember this terrible feeling next time" and yet, I do it again.

This is my problem exactly. I hate the way I feel after a binge, and sometimes even during, but I get a little bit excited when I mentally decide to give in to a binge. The thought of all of the delicious things I'm about to eat is weirdly a happy thought. I need to figure out how to get rid of that feeling, because it should never be a happy thought to think about eating an entire carton of ice cream, and yet, it is.