Christmas and cheating

Options
Hi,

I've been on low carb for the past 2 months (except for 3 or 4 days of cheating) and have lost 20 lbs so far. Now that Christmas is around the corner I'd like to know some of your ideas/thoughts on how you're planning to deal with it.
Are you planning to cheat and if so are you setting any limits? For those who dealt with this before, any advice you could give me?

Replies

• SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I plan on being a little more laid back on Christmas, but I won't be going all out and stuffing my face or anything like that. Same with my birthday which is three days after Christmas. I'm going to try and stay away from sugar still but might have a little bit.
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    Christmas is always hard work...All the alcohol plus ever lasting boxes of quality streets= BEAST by January haha

I intend on still trying low carb, so I will have on my plate a shed load of turkey but maybe only a couple of potatoes and I determined to still absolutely hammer the gym.

I say this now but after a few glasses of buck fizz I might not be singing the same tune :laugh:
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A lot of the traditional Christmas food is perfect for low carbing really, so you can have loads of stuff even if you want to stick to the diet throughout.

I'm not going to count carbs or calories over the few days, but I'll try to choose sort of low carb options of things. I'll be doing the cooking, so shouldn't be too bad. There are some good looking recipes out there for nutty stuffing, and I'll probably use other veg (cauliflower mash, or sweet potato) instead of potatoes. For desserts there are loads of recipes; I'm thinking of maybe making chocolate mousse or an almond based cheesecake. We'll also have 85% chocolate instead of any milk choccy stuff, will have cheeses without any crackers etc.

Note: I won't be having fussy eaters around either, so I know I can make substitutions without worrying about the response. :)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    this is my plan, lunch veg no potatoes turkey one small yorky pud, xmas pudd ummm thinking, sugar free custard. tea cold turkey salad ect home made sugar free tryfull. any sweets or choc that diabetic but not a lot as they are dietetics. similar on boxing day . thats the plan.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    6 minutes to make
    Serves 25

This is a low carb version of the old English Christmas dessert. I can't tell the difference from the one that I used to make. It took me years to perfect this. After reading ****ens, I just had to learn to make it.

Ingredients

6 cups plain oats
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 1/4 cu splenda
    1 1/2 cu scalded milk
    12 eggs beaten
    12 oz suet ground or chopped fine
    4 cu raisins
    1 cu diced dates
    3 cu diced apples
    1/2 cu brandy

How to make it

Mix oats, salt, spices and splenda
    Add milk
    Let stand until cool
    Add eggs and suet
    Mix
    Add fruit and brandy
    turn into 2 large molds or 1 large and several small molds. For the small molds, I use Chinese rice bowls.
    Cover tightly with foil
    Steam over low heat for 6 hrs.
    I have a large double decker steamer. You can use a stock pot with a collander, if you don' have one. Make sure it has a tight fitting lid.
    Unmold while still hot. Wrap in foil. Chill until ready to eat.
    I make these up to a month in advance. I give the small ones as Christmas gifts
    Serve with Brandy butter.
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    6 minutes to make
    Serves 25

This is a low carb version of the old English Christmas dessert. I can't tell the difference from the one that I used to make. It took me years to perfect this. After reading ****ens, I just had to learn to make it.

Ingredients

6 cups plain oats
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 1/4 cu splenda
    1 1/2 cu scalded milk
    12 eggs beaten
    4 cu raisins
    1 cu diced dates
    3 cu diced apples
    1/2 cu brandy

How to make it

Add milk
    Let stand until cool
    Add eggs and suet
    Mix
    Add fruit and brandy
    turn into 2 large molds or 1 large and several small molds. For the small molds, I use Chinese rice bowls.
    Cover tightly with foil
    I have a large double decker steamer. You can use a stock pot with a collander, if you don' have one. Make sure it has a tight fitting lid.

Yaaay love it...

Thanks
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    just plan on enjoying the day, come what may:ohwell:
  • p0werchic
    p0werchic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    6 minutes to make
    Serves 25

Ingredients

6 cups plain oats
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 1/4 cu splenda
    1 1/2 cu scalded milk
    12 eggs beaten
    4 cu raisins
    1 cu diced dates
    3 cu diced apples
    1/2 cu brandy

How to make it

Add milk
    Let stand until cool
    Add eggs and suet
    Mix
    Add fruit and brandy
    Cover tightly with foil

This sounds very yummy, thanks for sharing :)