Broth Suggestions - For Flavor

Options
13turtles
13turtles Posts: 183 Member
Does anyone have suggestions on broth brands/flavors that they liked for there and post op diet? I have no preference if it's veggie, chicken or beef since I just want something that has a good flavor that hopefully will not upset my stomach. I hate to buy something that lacks flavor even though I will be limited in what I can have. Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of decent ones on the market. A couple of suggestions, buy a low sodium stock which is more concentrated in flavor. I also bump up the flavor by simmering it with some carrots, celery, a bunch of fresh herbs. I love chicken with a hunk of fresh ginger and lemon. Experiment and find the flavors you enjoy and can tolerate.
  • RunningGranny
    Options
    Store bought - Better than Bouillon soup base & Knorrs both make a flavorful broth.
    Favorite additives: Lemon juice, cilantro, bay leaves, rosemary, V8 juice

Homemade: I keep two bags in my freezer, one for bones and for for veggie scraps. Every time I peel a potato or an onion, scrap a carrot or chop off the leaves and ends of celery I toss these scraps into the veggie bag. And every time we make chicken I save the bones (and turkey too :) )
    Veggies - When I have two cups worth I wrap them in a piece of cheese cloth with some bay leaves, oregano and peppercorns and simmer them in a pot of water for a least an hour, skim off any foam that accumulates on the top.. Pull out the cheese cloth and toss (no straining needed :) and this makes a delicious veggie broth.

With the bones I crack them in half with a cleaver and then wrap them in a cheesecloth with spices and simmer for at least an hour as well, again skimming off any foam that accumulates on the top. Taste the broth, if it doesn't taste very soup like keep simmering.

Now this next step is optional and takes a little practice but try it if you want to increase your protein. Beat two eggs really well add a little lemon and then keep beating and slowly (VERY SLOWLY) drizzle in the broth. The slower the better, this way the egg doesn't curdle/cook. It makes a very flavorful creamy broth with lots of extra protein. If you add the hot broth too quickly the egg will separate and you will have little flecks floating in your soup but it will still be OK to eat.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used the Better than Bouillon but I jazzed it up with some herbs/seasonings. It was so soothing and comforting after surgery. For the first month -6 weeks, I much preferred hot beverages to cold ones. Even now though, 3 months out, cold water still hurts my tummy - I can drink other cold beverages just fine but cold water is killer! But back to the broth, that was a godsend.

Good job thinking ahead! ;-)
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Wow. Everyone here is so creative with broth. I just used plain old Swanson's low sodium beef, chicken, and vegetable broths, diluted because I was told to do so. My other clear liquid I was told to do was Unjury chicken broth and Isopure clear, no carb, flavored protein drink. I had plenty of variety and taste. That only lasted a week, then I went to full liquids and got to have strained, cream soups, milk based products (like Carnation Instant Breakfast) and could have my protein shakes again. Nothing was difficult because the diet progressed weekly. Don't know if I would have found the energy, though, that first week, to be as creative as you all were!
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    These are some fantastic suggestions! I really appreciate it! I am trying to "stock up" now so I don't have to do anything after the surgery.
  • Verdadera
    Options
    I took the leftover turkey carcass from Thanksgiving and boiled it in hot water. I added some chopped onion and seasonings for flavor. I then strained the mixture to remove the chunks of turkey. The remaining broth was delicious!