Just getting started!

Options
I am just getting started in this weight loss/fitness thing. But I think I would really enjoy running, but honestly, where do I start? I have always been somewhat active, just out of shape. What is my starting point? HELP?:ohwell:

Replies

• SarahsJourney77
    Options
    In order to learn how to run.. you must first learn how to walk.. than you must learn how to jog. I suggest as a starting point pick up some Leslie Sansone walking at home DVDs. or if you are a gym person walk at least 1 hour a day start at a mid pace then build up to a fast walking pace. After your comfortable with fast walking begin jogging as far as you can and when you cant anymore walk again.. do that until you can jog for at least 1 hour without stopping.. after jogging throw in some running spurts. and so on.. you should get the picture by now..
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you want to start running the Couch to 5K program is really useful. Just google it! Cool Runnings is the original, I think.

Basically, it is interval training and works over 9 weeks to train you up to eventually be able to run 5K. Sometimes it takes more than 9 weeks, has for me anyway because I've repeated weeks when I've not felt ready to move on.

Starts really easy with intervals of running for 1 minute then walking for 90 seconds, and over the weeks slowly builds you up to being able to run 30 mins with no break! I'm on week 8 now, never in a million years thought I'd be a runner, but I'm up to 28 minutes and entering my first 5K on November 3rd!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k - this is a great group with support at all levels of the program, and other people going through the same thing.

Good luck!!
  • sevenof9ncrew73
    Options
    im sara and new to this group and MFP today but i am a walker already i joined the couch to 5k program but i was not determined enough to actually do it as supposed too nothing to motivate me and keep me going, i have my challenges with running like i have no right knee cap i have a prosthetic vertebrae and even after nearly 5 yrs after surgery my shoulder and neck still hurt and kill me when i try to jog i found jog with my neck collar on helps but i cant do races with a collar so i need to learn to run well i need to jog first i can do just under a minute without pain its not helpful because i am determined that in June i will run and complete my first 5k survivor mud run obstacle course in Seattle WA. area. I need to train for this though so any hints and advice is appreciated, i do not have access to a gym either so can not do a lot of machine work so far i use Wii sports to do some cardio tennis and things to work on breathing but even then running is still so far ahead for me i want to run this race with 2 friends but they already run marathons so even training with them is out as they leave me for dust so hopefully i will get the input and kick in the *kitten* when i need it to get in shape. pain is not a motivator to keep on doing what hurts but i am no quitter.
  • Nursestyle
    Nursestyle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am just getting started on my fitness plan. I have always wanted to run and just never tried. I am doing a plan I found at Prevention Magazine online. It really motivated me, I have a friend that just finished her first run and she really inspired me.
    I am concerned about the weight, but I believe that if I start slow and be consistent, I should start losing weight as well. I have 5 months to prepare for my run. My plan includes the first 4 weeks of moderate to very brisk walking. And then you can transition to the Run to walk program. I believe it's interval walk/run. My goal is to walk/run for Breast Cancer this year, every year I plan to do it, but don't. I want to really focus on a real cause and not just weight or my looks but a health regimen that can benefit my life while supporting the great demand for awareness.
  • Nursestyle
    Nursestyle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    pain is not a motivator to keep on doing what hurts but i am no quitter.

Hi Sara,
    Good for you. I am a rehab nurse and as long as you do your research and or maybe get with a PT or trainer to design a plan so that you won't cause further injury you should be fine. Especially with spinal involvement you should consult your MD. Just take it slow and increase as your endurance increases. I have seen knee, hip and even spinal patients resume activity, it can be done. I believe the worst thing we ALL can do, is do nothing.
    My knees are not in the best shape, I am 42, with the beginning of Osteoarthritis, I have lots of popping and cracking going on, but I am not going to allow that to stop living life to the fullest.
    Best Wishes.
    Mariah
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also look up Hal Higdon and his training plans. He has plans laid out starting with working up to 5k distances and up to marathons, including programs tailored for walkers.

Maybe start with a walking routine, then if you find your fitness level is above that move to the novice 5k run plan. If that's too challenging, you could try a couch25k program, or just set aside 30 minutes and start jogging at a comfortable pace until you can't go anymore, and walk out the rest of your time. Eventually, the goal is that you will increase your fitness enough to jog the whole 30 minutes.

Good luck! Listen to your body and rest if you need to, and slow down if you need to. Speed and distance do no make you a runner - just getting out there and putting one foot in front of the other does!