Losing patience now!

Options
masirahmo
masirahmo Posts: 30 Member
Heading for my third year of bad peri/menopausal symptoms, and just when I thought I was over the worst - Bang! They're all back with a vengeance!! Sweats, insomnia, palpitations, spots, fatigue - the lot. Apart from a few really low periods when I've gone through the whole " Why me? " scenario, I've accepted that it comes to all of us and it's just something we have to deal with, but I must admit I'm getting to the end of my rope now. As a hillwalker in Scotland we used to call them blind summits; when you thought you were nearly at the top only to find you had just cleared a ridge and there was still miles to go! Well, this is about the fifth "blind summit" I've hit, and I'd like to say it should be the last - but going by past experience - probably not.

Anyone else been or is still in the same boat? Any advice? Not suitable for HRT of any form I'm afraid.

Replies

• tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was having really bad hot flashes, waking several times per night, lots of joint pain, tons of weight gain, emotional roller coaster, the whole Monty, so to speak. I tried the progesterone cream for about a year, after paying a doctor nearly $1,500 in tests, vitamins, etc. That, combined with the vitamins, finally helped. Now I only have a breakthrough hot flash once or twice per day sometimes, sleep through the night and have my emotional stability and brain fog lifted. After a year on progesterone and vitamins, dieting and exercising my little heart out, I've only gained more weight.

So I went off the progesterone, kept the vitamins (multi-vitamin with minerals, 4000 IU Vitamin D, 400 mg magnesium, 720 mg fish oil, High Potency Vitamin B-complex, 1000 mg vitamin C and sublingual vitamin B12 500-1000 mg) and have switched over to Amberen. It works through a different methodology and channel than do hormones and seems to be helping me hold off my menopausal symptoms.

Since starting on the Amberen -- about 5 weeks -- I have redoubled my efforts toward my diet, tracking everything, 1200 calories per day, low carb, only minimal healthy fats, high protein and high fiber. I have lost a couple pounds, nothing to brag about, but have also lost a couple inches in all the right places. I think when I get my work/school schedule under control, come January, I will be able to work out more often and may lose some more weight.

You might try the Amberen, since it is not HRT and seeks to allow your body to seek its own natural level of homeostasis, by providing the precursors your body needs to produce the substances it needs to feel like you used to.
  • masirahmo
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Tashia,

I'm using Menopace, which is herbal + vitamins, also Evening Primrose & Fish oil. I have heard of Amberen, but read very mixed reports? I'm just into my second month's supply of Menopace and I know you're supposed to give it 3 months minimum so I haven't quite given up hope, but I honestly thought there had been a breakthrough and I could see light at the end of the tunnel; so this setback has hit me very hard I have to say.
    I have also tried everything to lose weight as I know full well that being overweight is only going to aggravate any medical condition. Low cal, low carb, South Beach, G.I., Atkins, TLC, you name it - I tried to no avail. I'm now on a VLCD+ plan, ( 3 x 200 cal meal packs + a 400cal low carb meal per day ) and the weight is finally beginning to shift. I know it's frowned upon by some but it's the only thing that works for me so they're just going to have to deal with it!

Good luck with the Amberen, I hope it keeps working for you.!
  • janicemitchellcross
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I hear you and feel your frustration. Definitely. Every time I feel like I have something under control. It goes hay wire again.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    yep my hot flashes were almost gone and now in the last few days they are back with a vegence !!!!!
    So I feel your pain
  • SusanSchwartz
    Options
    I recently started taking Royal Maca and am finding some relief from the hot flashes. Give it a try.
  • masirahmo
    Options
    I recently started taking Royal Maca and am finding some relief from the hot flashes. Give it a try.

Hi Susan - I've been offline for some time and didn't pick this up until today. What is it exactly? New one on me.................