Weight lifting

Options
gwicks54
gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
Okay, I am 57 and want to start doing some type of muscle building & strength training. I walk, do some pilates but would like to be more compact so I don't have to be at a low weight. I have seen pictures of some of the younger ladies that lift weights and are carrying an extra fifteen to twenty lbs & look small. I would like to know if any of you have found a program that works without injuries to the joints?

Replies

• sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dwebbqt
    dwebbqt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the same thing. I know more muscle means higher metabolism, and I'd sure like to have more energy. I do have to be careful because of breaking my neck many years ago.
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've done "The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" (which I loved, and totally transformed my body), and am currently working my way through "The New Rules of Lifting for Life". Check them out on Amazon.
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    Hello there! I second the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is a great resource of information and a real solid training program for just about anyone. This book and program really got me into strength training. I bought the book from Amazon..I don't remember it being too pricey but there is an abundance of information on MFP about this program and a really active support group. Good luck and keep us informed of your journey into lifting!!
  • Rosezilla
    Options
    I work on the weight machines at the gym right now, but for a long time I did Body Electric on PBS with Margaret Richards, and she teaches proper technique and form; I really noticed a difference in how toned I was and went down 5 dress sizes even though I only lost about 20 pounds in the same time period. You might be able to find her on t.v. or you can go online and buy her dvds. I never used larger than a 5 pound weight with her program either!
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just looked up Margaret Richards and this could be something i am looking for . Thanks for sharing. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Progress slowly and maintain good form, and you won't risk injury. You might want to start at lower weights and add less than suggested if it feels like too much.

I'm hypermobile (loose-jointed) and was very injury prone. I was nervous about lifting, but strengthening my muscles has worked wonders. I don't pop out of joint at random and inopportune times anymore.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I work on the weight machines at the gym right now, but for a long time I did Body Electric on PBS with Margaret Richards, and she teaches proper technique and form; I really noticed a difference in how toned I was and went down 5 dress sizes even though I only lost about 20 pounds in the same time period. You might be able to find her on t.v. or you can go online and buy her dvds. I never used larger than a 5 pound weight with her program either!

Margaret Richards ROCKS! She is on PBS! One routine she had was hamstring leg lifts to, Kissed by a Rose by Seal. We did the whole song with one leg, then she replayed the song and we did the other leg. Margaret started out sympathetic when we first started the second leg, because the exercise was a killer. Then she said, " you grew it, you lift it". She cracks me up! I love that quote!
  • Rosezilla
    Options
    I agree, reneelee, working out with Margaret Richards is like working out with a friend. She's so funny and likeable, and her workouts really work! I couldn't do all of every one at first, but I kept at it and got better and stronger every day. I'm glad to see that others on here like her workouts too. I highly recommend them. (I remember one time on the second leg, she was singing, "Oh, second leg...you hurt so much" and it was nice to know she was feeling it too,lol!). tv10308, I think you'd really like her.
  • chogue55
    Options
    I've been going to the YMCA for the past several weeks and doing varied exercises with weight resistance on their equipment. This NROL4W sounds interesting though as well as Margaret Richards. I like reading all the posts with good ideas.
  • chogue55
    Options
    NROL4W: Just read a post that it is not for people who have more than 15 or so pounds to lose. Will continue searching...
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I lke my ChaLean Exteme a lot but am getting to the end of my 90 days so I'm looking for some other alternatives. Might check out the NROL4W. I'll probably do ChaLean again at some point I just don't want to do hers back to back.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels and 30-Minutes to Fitness-Weights with Kelly Coffey-Meyers. I enjoy using free weights, both of them offer that plus I like the 20-30 minute workouts.
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of this information. I will be looking at it & try to make an informed decision.
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I lift the bar and some dumb bells, I don't do anything fancy just squat pick it up straighten up and then put it back down.
    I've only been doing this for about 8 weeks consistently and I've not seen weight loss but I have been approached and told how good I am looking, so that's got to count for something right? :)
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My favorite websites for workout information:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/
    http://www.niashanks.com/store/

Nerd Ftiness has a great beginner bodyweight workout and has really easy to follow tips for designing your own workout. I decided to work on push-ups and pull-ups and he has progression plans for that. And then I'm adding in squats, lunges and core work.

I just picked up Nia Shanks (S)hero workout ($7 ebook) that I can't wait to try - maybe it will be a New Year plan for me.

I've read NROLFW - seems a little complicated for me. I've tried Stronglifts 5X5 - which is very simple to follow - but I didn't feel like I was making good progress. I think it's more about finding something that isn't hard to follow, and you feel like you can really push yourself.

I only started strength training this year (I was 47), and although I don't have any hope of looking like a 20 something lifter, I have seen some really nice changes in my body. I love muscles!

Good luck!
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow you put the words that I could not find into my mouth, thanks for the links I will be having a look at them over the next week or so :)
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Weight training is vital as we get older. I have read that no matter how old we get, we will benefit from weight training.
    I do a Body Pump class two to three times a week and it really makes a big difference, not just in weight loss but in developing stamina, and I assume stronger bones. The theory of Body Pump is a lot of reps, so you use lighter weights than you would if you were doing just 2 sets of 15 and good form. In one hour, we do a set of exercises to individual songs for warm up, squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs, and cool down stretching.
    The things about using weights is that form is so important, if you use improper form you will either hurt yourself, or waste your time doing exercises that have no impact. Now there are aps that show you the exact form to use for each exercise. But for me, I liked having the security of an instructor who would check on our form. I recommend a weights class as a great way to begin or alternatively working with a personal trainer until you feel comfortable with the weights.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have done some lifting on and off and am currently doing body lifting type activities, ie pushups. I read everywhere that you need to be "heavy lifting" . I definitely want to build muscle, since it burns more calories than fat and you look better weighing more. We do lose muscle with every year after a certain age, I believe that is why it's so hard to lose weight after a certain age.

As for your joints..I was worried I wouldn't be able to lift, because I had all kind of wrist and hand issues. The opposite ended up happening. They feel better than ever, so now I am thinking I just didn't have enough built up around the joints to help support them. SO all the pressure of movement and use was only on the joints with no support. So it's the best thing I did for all my joints, but be careful about keeping proper form. Also if you lift on the machines, be careful of a few of them. IF they start bothering your joints, stay away from them, because they aren't all good for you. Free weights with proper form are probably the best.