Help!

Options
emboss03
emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
Hey guys and gals... looking for a little motivation and encouragement here.... I'll make my background story as short as possible.

In Nov of 2007 I was diagnosed with T2... I started off on Metformin 500 mg twice a day. I was a strict NO carber for that first month and lost over 15 lbs. Gradually I fell of the horse... I have since always struggled to keep my numbers low. My fasting BS used to be anywhere from 180-230 and my after meal (two hours) BS used to be over 200. Within the last month, due to diet and exercise, I've managed to get my fasting bs down to under 130 and after meals is less than 180. However, I haven't lost any weight!!! I'm glad my numbers are lower but I want to lose weight too! I would love to get off medications... they're too expensive!!! Right now I'm on Janumet 50/1000mg twice a day and Lantus 20 units at bedtime.

I've been doing a low carb/low cal diet and exercising about 5 times a week.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to try anything!!! Any and all feedback welcomed!

Replies

• Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are exerising 5 times a week and keeping your calories under 1800 a day and the BG is coming down I would not be overly concerned about the weight right now. If you are building muscle, remember it is heavier than fat so you should be getting in better shape, which will help your BG. If in a few months the weight does not start coming down talk to your doctor. You may just need some slight modification yo your diet.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you were prepared to open your diary, members could then make suggestions to help you achieve your objectives.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    As my Dr said to me, even if you don't lose another lb by exercising, keep at it as it helps reduce you blood sugar.
  • emboss03
    Options
    Thanks! With my blood sugars and blood pressure so low lately, I'm not going to worry about the weight so much. It'll come off when it wants to lol... As long as my health is better, I'm happy!!!!
  • TashiaMH
    TashiaMH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you were prepared to open your diary, members could then make suggestions to help you achieve your objectives.

I agree. If you diary is accurate then there may be answers in there.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    While losing weight is important, it is not as important as getting and keeping your numbers within a good range. We all experience times when the weight isn't coming off as quickly as we'd like, or we even gain a few pounds, but as long as you are keeping your numbers in check and exercising, the weight loss should eventually catch up.
  • slearley
    Options
    I came off all of my insulin and medications after 2 months of eating every 3 hours while awake. I also have increased my protein to 40% of my overall intake per day. (Not recommending the increased protein to everyone, check with your doc as it can be a problem with certain types of meds that are taxing to the kidneys). The first month I came off insulin and the second I came off Metformin. My fasting BS are under 100 and post prandial are around 140 or so. Still working on the lb's. I lost 30 pounds initially just giving up sodas and fast food, then it stalled. Then I started working out daily and still no weight loss. I finally went to a center and had my lean body mass tested and weighed an impressive 130 pounds of muscle. I had lost 2 dress sizes. Now I am on the quest for fat loss. So, I am ordered to do high reps and lots of cardio. Good luck to you. You are far better off than when you started. :)
  • emboss03
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to have him look at my food diary, exercise diary, and blood sugars to see what I should do more of or less of.... also, since I've been having dizzy spells when I stand up fast and when I've taken my blood pressure, it's been low (anywhere from 101-118 over 56-62), I'm wondering if I shouldn't come off my blood pressure med or at least cut back on it. I do about 45 mins of cardio, 5 times a week and strength train about 3 times a week so I'm not sure how much change he's going to want me to do there, but I know I can do better diet wise. I get so confused with the carbs vs calories debate. I've been doing low carb and staying within or around my calorie goal too for the last few days.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    One of the reason your weight loss has slowed is that you are no longer flushing calories down the toilette. The kidneys start spilling glucose into your urine at about 180 which is what probably caused your initial weight loss. Now that you're in better control that's no longer happening so it's not necessarily a bad thing that weight isn't coming down. You'll have to do it the old fashioned way by burning more calories than you consume