What do you do for preparation?

Options
I'm so excited to see people joining and writing for this group. I'm loving the support-group feel of it, haha. I thought I'd make a separate thread where we could share any tips or tricks we may have for starting and progressing through the weight loss journey.

For example, I made a picture collage that I now have as my desktop background on my computer. It's just a ton of little motivational pictures and quotes. Since I'm on my computer pretty dang often, I'll be looking at this often too. I left a link of it below in case any of you want to see it and use it for something similar!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32533653/december motivation.png

Also, I've been checking out a lot of free youtube fitness classes as well as exploring the app called "FitnessClass" where you can download TONS of workouts too. I did a 10 minute martial arts one yesterday....looked like a fool but that's okay! It is my goal to do some kind of workout from these sources, no matter how short, every single day. How can I make an excuse not to do a 10 minute cardio workout?

And finally.... I'm going grocery shopping today. Cleaned out my fridge and cabinets. And, I know when I go shopping I can't buy junk food. It's just me in the apartment, and if it's in here I'll binge on it. I'm okay with saying that I'm just not strong enough to do that right now.

Let us all know what YOU do to stay on top of things!

Replies

• lovemybabes9709
    lovemybabes9709 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well, I try to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Fruits/veggies/lean meats/good carbs (grains) are my priorities. I do get snack stuff for my teenager, but for the most part I try to do good stuff for me. I have been semi gluten free since I realized how much better my IBS issues feel when I am eating that way. I think I have a Gluten allergy.

I eat off of a smaller plate during meal times. Less plate to fill, less food goes into my body.

Get child divider plates and fill up with veggies/salad first. Then lean meats & carbs last.

Water: DRINK a ton of water. ALL day long I drink.

Make sure your fitness clothes are all clean before you start the program. Make sure you have socks, bras, what not...and don't give yourself an excuse to not exercise.

I love your motivational board (background) and I have one that is a big poster size. I put all kinds of cool stuff on mine to help with my visual. On the fridge!!!

We can do this. Really, we can!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Here are some little tips that have worked for me:
    -Use smaller dinner plates. You'll automatically give yourself smaller serving sizes.
    -Do cardio and weight training, not just one or the other.
    -Keep baggies of nuts and dried fruit in your purse for an easy on the go snack.
    -Get a friend to go to the gym with you and keep you accountable.
  • pawprints86
    pawprints86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been a poster-child for living terribly!! These days apparently is no exception, though I'm TRYING! :) need to go to the store again to get more things for my cupboards that aren't so terrible for me. I live with 2 guys, so ... that is definitely not helping...they get the worst things, and they are always around...chips, pop, sugary things.... so I'm going to make a separate little cupboard/shelf in the fridge for me, and I'll make myself only eat from those areas.

I do try and drink a ton of water a day, I love the idea I found on Pinterest one day that showed 2 water bottles marked with the hours in the day you're usually awake....and saying I have to drink THIS much water between, say, 8-9 am....same for every hour of the day. Keeps you on-track with water consumption. I have a fitness board on Pinterest that I'm always looking for new things to put on it - quotes, ideas, healthy recipes, etc.

I signed up recently for classes at my local YWCA for water aerobics. I'm going most times with my mom, so we both try and keep each other accountable with attendance and making the most of the 45 min classes twice a week for now. I'm adding in walking twice a week -- I know, 4 times a week isn't much, but since I've done NOTHING the last few months, I figure it's a start!
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    On my part, since I'm a stress eater, and I have a sweet tooth, I try, changing what is bad to lower calory stuff that are taste wise, the same. You see what I mean ?
    For example, I stopped white bread and bought wholegrain bread. I replaced my granola bars with really sweet fruit, like oranges and stuff. Also, I stop a station earlier on the bus, so that I can walk more. Finally, whenever someone needs something that needs to be bought, I'll go, so that I'm not always stuck in my couch, playing video games.
    PS : repalcing Mario Kart with Wii Fit helps, and it's a lot of fun too ! :)