Getting Back on Track After The Holidays

If you've eaten way too much over the Christmas break; all is not lost. Here's how to get back on track over the next few days:

Snack smart. Don't starve yourself over the next few days, but don't dive into the left over Christmas nibblys either. If a craving hits, go for snacks that balance protein, fat, and carbs—like whole-grain crackers with peanut butter or a piece of fruit and a couple of nuts.

Distract yourself. If you do start eyeing up all the leftovers in fridge, call a friend or take a walk. By the time you're finished, the urge should be gone. Cravings can last from 4 to 12 minutes!

Lay off the booze. Alcohol contain heaps of kilojoules—and also lowers your willpower. (So a midnight trip to the fridge for some leftover mashed potatos and gravy starts to seem like a great idea.) At least over the next few days, drink sparkling water with lime instead.

Get moving. It sounds simple, but if you ate too much, you'll want to burn some of it off. Try to get out and about for a walk or a run to burn off those extra kilojoules a day over the next two days.

Replies

• Thanks for the info... especially about beating yourself up. So many times during the holiday we simply give up, but this is the time to stay strong and enjoy family. However it does not mean that we should eat ourselves to death, but to choose wisely and eat to live! So, take time to enjoy the season, but remember modesty is the key!

Brenda
  • fsaintilis
    fsaintilis Posts: 14 Member
    I did okay with Thanksgiving lunch/dinner and I tried to limit the starchy food. The good thing is that I exercised. We got this ladies.

Fernande
  • everygiftedsense
    everygiftedsense Posts: 24 Member
    I agree with both of you. We had a lot of vegetables for sides vs starch at my mom's. However, being that starch was offered the key is still to monitor and be aware of what you input into your body. If you remain focused on your goal (like I saw Fernandie put on her post) you are more than likely to stay away from the not so good choices in food. I too have a goal and because I keep telling myself my goals, I have been successful in avoiding the intake of rice and dressing. So yes ladies, keep up the great work and we will all reach the goals that we have set for yourself