Christmas..what are you anticipating/dreading???

Options
Larisonlj
Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
So my mom makes homemade Cherry Mash candy that is totally irresistible and one piece is never enough. I'm looking forward to it @ Christmastime but how on earth am I going to limit myself?
What are you anticipating or dreading for Christmas?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Since last Christmas eve is when I had my "moment", I am really looking forward to playing in my church orchestra and bringing something I consider a treat and on my food plan.

I am thinking of some kind of dried nut mix in nice clever individual packets or servings so I will scour Williams Sonoma , Michaels and Sur la Table for some clever mini cupcake holders. I also had a inspiration of mixing walnuts and cranberries with just a "dot" of dark chocolate... I really like all the "small bite" inspirations coming from places like Pier 1 and the Food Network. Last year a lady in our church from Scotland made fudge with walnuts and dried cranberries, it was my inspiration to try the "small bite" version.

Now Cherry Mashes were one of my favorite, favorite candy treats growing up. I haven't had one in at least 40 years. I would be make sure I asked for my special tin of them so I knew I was going to get my fill... and not eat every one else's share... Can you get with your mom while she makes them and ask her to teach you how to make them? (Ok, share the recipe)... I am wondering if you experimented with the recipe getting the flavors and texture pulled together in a bit more healthy manner? Kinda like my idea of "small bite" ?
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try a roasted squash recipe from December issue Bon Appetit! Also love to make food gifts. Get to try a little and give the rest away. Same magazine has a recipe for hazlenut-chocolate spread. Yum.
  • sweetpea5445
    sweetpea5445 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love to bake cookies and make buckeyes. My mother-in-law used to do most of it, but she passed away 1 1/2 years ago. Now it's up to me. I think I'll start baking today.
    I dread the temptation to eat them.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to decorating sugar cookies with my nieces (kind of our tradition so they have something to leave out for Santa). I usually don't eat the cookies, but end up taking them to family functions & everyone enjoys them!

Also looking forward to family time together. This is the BEST part about Christmas!
  • IslandRider
    Options
    My husband's homemade egg nog! I never liked egg nog, but that was until I had real homemade egg nog. It is soooo good, every year I have to really make the effort to count how many I have. Call it a lesson learned from our first Christmas together, LOL!
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    How could you possibly dread ANYTHING about Christmas? It's the most wonderful time of the year! Actually, I used to dread Black Friday shopping as my family grew, because buying the "perfect" gift for everyone just got too stressful. I have two children and one grown grandchild and they all have children, so last year I decided to send each one a family gift of money so they could get whatever they needed for themselves and their families. Problem solved! Everyone was happy, including me! Now I can relax and enjoy the holidays. We always have a big family party (which, this year, is coming up on December 8th) and I love having everyone get together. I just love decorating and baking cookies. Everything looks and smells so good! This year my granddaughter came over and we baked cookies together. She took half of the cookies home. I have enough to serve our guests at our party, but not too many that there will be leftovers in the house. If I go a little overboard in the eating department, I will just get back on track the next day. I hope everyone enjoys the holidays and has a blessed Christmas and a fabulous New Year!
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do not dread anything. I shop online so I don't have to deal with the crowds. I will eat and enjoy the foods that we don't have any other time of the year and I will gain a few pounds in the process. After the holidays, I will get back on the program and take them off in only a few short weeks. I hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Since last Christmas eve is when I had my "moment", I am really looking forward to playing in my church orchestra and bringing something I consider a treat and on my food plan.

I am thinking of some kind of dried nut mix in nice clever individual packets or servings so I will scour Williams Sonoma , Michaels and Sur la Table for some clever mini cupcake holders. I also had a inspiration of mixing walnuts and cranberries with just a "dot" of dark chocolate... I really like all the "small bite" inspirations coming from places like Pier 1 and the Food Network. Last year a lady in our church from Scotland made fudge with walnuts and dried cranberries, it was my inspiration to try the "small bite" version.

Now Cherry Mashes were one of my favorite, favorite candy treats growing up. I haven't had one in at least 40 years. I would be make sure I asked for my special tin of them so I knew I was going to get my fill... and not eat every one else's share... Can you get with your mom while she makes them and ask her to teach you how to make them? (Ok, share the recipe)... I am wondering if you experimented with the recipe getting the flavors and texture pulled together in a bit more healthy manner? Kinda like my idea of "small bite" ?
    I have the recipe, I make them too and give them as part of a basket gift to my work groups....they beg for them each year! The problem at my parents house is its sitting there all day just begging me to eat it all up!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Planning to go onto maintenance for the holidays; it boosts the metabolism and reduces the risk of falling off the MFP wagon. Keep logging ladies, keep logging!
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Planning to go onto maintenance for the holidays; it boosts the metabolism and reduces the risk of falling off the MFP wagon. Keep logging ladies, keep logging!

This!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    not dreading anything food related. I don't have any issues resisting temptation. There are personal things that I am dreading, but I am not going to be debbie downer here. lol
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    im anticipating jan 1 when its all over ...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

This!

Triple agree!
  • bellanoelle
    bellanoelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The cookies, all the cookies....because they are small and before you know it, there goes 6 or 10.....just pop them in the mouth....too easy to really mess up the day.
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to my house being full of family on Christmas day for dinner! For the past 6 years I have had everyone to my house, so this should help me control the food intake at least a little bit since I am the one doing the preperations and cooking.

I can't really say I am dreading anything about it other than keeping my motivation and not eating anything that will make me feel sick since I can't have gluten. Most of my all time favorites are full of gluten of course, so that is what I will have to focus on the most.
  • itswennndy
    Options
    I love Christmas and everything about it:-) Nothing to dread...... Just all the baked goods haha!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to family time and being willing to happily pose for family pictures. Last Christmas I hid from the camera completely. As far as the food that I am anticipating/dreading, I am looking forward to Christmas eve crab cakes, that I make with only Maryland crab meat, fortunately no leftovers. I am not looking forward to constant cookie temptations! When my very active and fit daughter is home from college she makes chocolate chip cookies way too often, and resisting a chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven-not easy.
    Right now I am 7 pounds away from onederland and since I haven't been there since 1984, I don't want to delay my arrival because of cookies.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Also not dreading the most magical time of year. I will enjoy friends and family and enjoy a few of my favorite treats that only come with this season. May gain a couple back, but will work it off!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love Christmas! I'm looking forward to seeing my kids and grandbabies! I will miss eggnog (recently went vegan). Though I've tried non-fat, non-egg, coconut milk eggnog, I'm not a fan. It is good in coffee, at least. This is about the only time of year I bake cookies, and I've been off sugar long enough now to resist the temptation to try one. It just makes the house smell so festive! I am wearing a skirt today that has been in my closet for four years (at least) but I couldnt wear because it was too tight. I think anytime I'm tempted to overindulge, I'll go put on this skirt! :drinker:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to spending Christmas with my sister and her family; it's always a good time with lots of playing games and laughing. BUT - except for Christmas Day they eat out every day. It will be a trial that's for sure!