Anyone use Benefibre?

SteAnnMui
SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
I'm drinking 10 or more cups of water each day, and trying to get my fibre in but I seem to have trouble doing so. I was thinking about mixing some plain Benefibre in my coffee since after a week of being on Atkins I am down quite a few lbs but not pooping so well :embarassed: This has happened to me before in the past with Atkins.

Does anyone use it? Has anyone found that it stalls them? The grams of fibre are the same as carbs so it should be 0 net. I'm scared to try it at this point since I'm just finishing my first week and I'm not sure how my loss will slow down, or if I'll be able to accurately judge if using Benefibre is affecting me.

I've even given up my whiskey since I'm trying to have a clean induction, which I can't wait to go back to :wink:

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    I find I don't go as much on Atkins but I just don't need to. I don't take Metamucil but if it has 0 net carbs then it should not mess with your carb intake. Hate to be uncomfortable!! Give it a try!
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Less carbs equals less waste. You will poop less even when you are regular. Go on a carb binge, and likely you'll need to suddenly go lots..

How is your veggie intake? More veggies should help your poop problem.

I've been making a 2 minute almond flour bread like thing and adding psyllium husk to it. Used it to make a sandwich and used it as dessert, either PB on top, or cashew butter or low carb raspberry sauce. While I do eat a good number of veggies this has helped too.
  • SteAnnMui
    I'm trying to get better with my veggies, but with my husbands new work schedule I haven't been as good about incorporating them into dinner.

I think I'll try the Benefibre and see how it goes, but I guess that makes sense 'less carbs, less waste'. I don't want to be gross, but after having a baby sometimes you have problems... and if the poop doesn't come easy it aggravates them... haha.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    I take Metamucil for the cholestrol lowering benefits- also heard it supposedly lowers blood sugar if you are diabetic. I take it morning, supper and once in awhile at night. Cholestrol lowering amount is three teaspoons- I find it really makes me feel full so I eat better. I am also regular as clockwork almost every morning just after getting up. I read a diet book years ago that said if your body is working right, you should "evacuate" every morning and you shouldn't need toilet paper! (gross topic!) But I find it is true (I do use t.p. but not much needed LOL!) I am not 100% Atkins but I when I am being good I stay as low carb as I can - and they say fibre is good!
  • SteAnnMui
    I don't think I've ever not needed toilet paper! :laugh:

I used to be a once every morning pooper but I haven't been that way in ages.

I ended up going twice today so I guess my body has adjusted to the low carb, but I might throw in some benefibre for the added benefits.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Sugar free metamucil. It's good for your cholesterol, it slows digestion keeping you fuller longer. Personal experience is do not skimp on the fat or you might regret it. Kind of like a dry rock passing...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I don't use any fibre supplement and I don't care how much fibre that I get per day (I usually get 10-15 grams). I only eat meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds, some fruit and full fat dairy. Since I cut out grains and legumes no doubt the amount of fibre was greatly reduced BUT my intestinal health has improved beyond imagining. Based on my own body, I suspect that benefits of a high fibre diet has been highly exaggerated.

If you do think you need more fibre, rather than less, I would suggest eating natural high fibre vegetables.

Edit: I also eat a high fat diet so that REALLY helps intestinal health; I think far more than fibre. The "no time" excuse for not eating vegetables just doesn't fly. It's VERY easy to eat lots of vegetables. They don't have to be cooked either. I'm a single working mom and I eat paleo/primal. It's an easy choice to spend a little more time (I save the intensive ones for the weekend) preparing food that will make us healthy and fight disease.
  • SteAnnMui
    Thanks guys!

I have been eating a lot of fat, but have amped it up the past few days with addition to the benefibre and things seem to be getting better. Avocados have been a good help too ;)
  • Benefibre and those stir in fibers can be a good supplement to meeting your fiber needs but psyllium really helps to exercise the intestines (promotes/encourages peristaltic motion) and provides the bulking that helps to move everything out of the Nooks and Crannies in the intestine. I buy the plain stuff but sugar-free Metamucil is also a good option for a supplement.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    I have a thing of Benefiber at home and it has not been very beneficial for me at all. I hear good things about the psyllum though, so I may go ahead and try that. I need to know where to buy it though!
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    I'm Canadian.. mine comes from the bulk barn. Have to say I am far more regular now, and have uh healthier I suppose poop as most off the time there's nothing to wipe. Gross.. but since it was brought up..
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    I've used Benefibre

It's not as full on as psyllium husks and for those fussy about texture, it's much more dissolving as long as you don't add it into anything fizzy :laugh:

Golden Flaxseed Meal is pretty high in fibre too, as are lots of green veggies :)