New to group counting carbs

Options
Hello everyone,

My biggest challenge right now is loosing weight. My biggest obstacle is counting carbs. I believe that if I can get that under control, then my weight will start to fall off. Exercise is hard on my feet because of my weight. Can someone guide me on how to use myfitnesspal to keep my carbs under control so that I can start loosing the weight I need to loose to hopefully reduce the amount of medication that I have to take. I would love to control it via diet and exercise. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
John

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Welcome John.

You can lose the weight and in some cases it is possible to manage diabetes without the medication. You need to be disciplined with logging everything you eat. This will teach you which foods are dense in calories and carbs. It will also give you feedback on the total carb intake for the day.

One of the things that worked well for me was eliminating white foods (simple carbs); white rice, white bread and white potatoes. These types of foods can spike you blood sugar and cause problems for diabetics. Using moderation you can substitute whole grain rice, whole grain bread or sweet potatoes. These choices still contain carb however they digest more slowly which reduces the blood sugar spikes.

When you set up your goals in myfitnesspal the system automatically determines the daily macro ratios (carbs, fats, proteins). Unfortunately the ratios the system sets aren't appropriate for diabetics. If you click on settings and then click on goals you can change your goals. Select "custom" to manually set your goals. I think the default settings have the carbs at 40% (over 200g/say). You want to dial that number back to something between 15% - 25%. I try to keep my numbers under 150g/day. Others keep their carbs under 100g/day. You have to find an amount that is sustainable. An amount that helps you lose the weight & control your blood sugar. To make the macro ratios balance out, raise the protein amount (MFP sets this to low).

Regarding exercise, if you can walk a half mile then walk a half mile every day. Over time increase it to a mile. When you're ready start adding in some resistance training (body weight exercises). The idea is to incrementally add to your exercise routine. If you try to do too much at one time you'll burn out. Take small steps and before you know it exercise will become a habit.

Note - Please seek the advice of your doctor or nutritionist for your specific needs.

Set your goals. Stay focused and disciplined.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Very well said BigGuy!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group John. Not more I can add to what BigGuy has said.

I have found logging everything I eat to be the most useful thing. I limit my carbs to 50%, higher than most, but I still seem to be managing my blood sugars, however my total calories intake is less than 1400.

As for exercise, do what you can. Eventually your stamina and fitness will increase and also helps lower your blood sugar level.
  • veronica1359
    veronica1359 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Very well said BigGuy!!
    I have never paid attention on carbs, just in my total calories...After you said, I am changing my mind and focused on controlling my diabetes, the last time I verified my BG was 112 and A1c 6,85(in October) and the doctor insist on keep me under Metformin 850mg 3x/day . I have been losing weight since the beginning of the year, started with 232lbs and now is 209lbs.
    Thanks for the advices from all of you
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @ Veronica and John, I would add just a few suggestions; tracking fibre will enable you to monitor your net carbs which are total carbs less fibre. The consensus view is that a reasonable target to aim for would be 45 net carbs per main meal with about say 20-3- net carbs for snacks if required. It would be important to differentiate between complex carbs and simple carbs. Complex carbs are to be preferred. It would be beneficial to pre-plan your meals so that they conform to the targets. Once the food is eaten it's too late and the damage is done. If you haven't been on a diabetic educations course, try to get a place on one as soon as possible. Honest recording, persistence and patience are essential. Read around the boards and get a feel for the site. Information is key to success. I wish you both well in your journey to a healthy and active life.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    While, as diabetics, we do need to drastically reduce the number of carbs we consume and pay attention to the type of carbs we eat, I have found it easier for me not to get caught up in counting carbs. What I do instead is eat to my meter. Through extensive testing, I know how each food I consume is going to affect my glucose levels, and I eat accordingly. I have found that by doing so, my daily consumption of carbs usually falls within the commonly acceptable range for diabetics, but it saves me from doing the mathematics, which is a good thing for me. Whether than worrying on sticking to a certain number of carbs each time I eat, I just eat what I know, through testing, isn't going to spike my glucose to unacceptable levels.

It works for me. Others need the structure of a definitive number. I don't think either way is wrong, it's just finding what works for you and what you can stick with for a lifetime, and for me, that isn't mathematics.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Absolutely eat to your meter. You will then find what food items you can eat and what you can't. I've learned that I must eat very low carb to feel good, to keep my bg under control and to lose weight. Actually, losing weight is the big bonus payoff of keeping my bg under control. There are many foods that other diabetics can eat that I cannot because it raises my bg. The choice I have is either eat them and take medication or don't eat them and not take medication. I choose not to eat them.
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One of the things I did to help me exercise more is I bought a pedometer and wear it on me all day long. Then, I track my steps. It keeps me in check of how much I'm walking and even if you only improve by like 100 steps per week/day/month, it's an improvement over all. Don't worry about the large distances.... start off slow by just counting your steps!!! It has totally motivated me. I now walk over 10,000 steps a day and before I was barely getting 5,000 a day!!! Good luck!! Feel free to add me if you want....
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Johnhend,

Welcome to MFP, but I’m sorry you had to do it this way. You are on the right track by reducing your carbs to control your weight and diabetes. I fluctuated between 332 and 228 several times over the last 40 years, by trying every diet and program in the book. About a year and a half ago, noticing that pasta, bread, pizza and chinese sent my BG up, I stopped eating processed carbs (sugar, wheat byproducts, rice, corn syrup, legumes and manufactured oils) and replaced them with fresh fruit and vegetables. I kept my carbs around +- 50 grams of carbs per day and was successful in losing weight on a consistent basis, 50 pounds in 18 months, an average of 2.7 pounds a month. I have recently stopped eating fruit as studies have shown that fructose stimulates the liver to produce triglycerides, which transport LDL into the blood stream. To lose weight, reduce your carbs to between 50 and 100 grams per day. The closer to 50, the more weight you will lose. I try to keep my carbs to between 25 and 45 grams per day in the hopes that, one day, I’ll get off the diabetes meds. I was originally on Glucophage with several other diabetes meds but got down to just Glucophage until I landed in the hospital with AFib and was put on prednisone and was placed on insulin. I take a long acting insulin morning and evening and a short acting according to my BG level before meals. I usually go a week at a time without using any of the short term insulin since by BG is almost always below 120, which is the point that I have to inject.

Hope this helps.
    Chuck
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm a new diabetic not even a week. I'm watching what I eat. I'm only on metformin. And right now only 1\2 pill for a week. Then one morning and night. I don't understand the bg readings you folks use. Mine says i'm at 7.5 which I think isn't so bad. Being that the normal is under 6. So I need to work to get it under that then keep it under for at least 3 months. Don't lose the weight and insulin is next.
    So by what your saying keeping your carbs under 50 is the key. So have to aim for that.

Good luck to all.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Hi i'm a new diabetic not even a week. I'm watching what I eat. I'm only on metformin. And right now only 1\2 pill for a week. Then one morning and night. I don't understand the bg readings you folks use. Mine says i'm at 7.5 which I think isn't so bad. Being that the normal is under 6. So I need to work to get it under that then keep it under for at least 3 months. Don't lose the weight and insulin is next.
    So by what your saying keeping your carbs under 50 is the key. So have to aim for that.

Good luck to all.
    Are you in the USA? In the USA we use mg/dl. I think the UK uses mmol/L. Here is a site that can help translate the difference: http://healthy-ojas.com/diabetes/a1c-glucose-chart.html A mmol/L of 7.5 would equal a mg/dl of approx. 135 mg/dl.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    LinCharpentie,

I eat Paleo/Primal, which is a lifestyle way of eating.. Mark Sessions, in his “Primal Blueprint” ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com ) says

 Carbs: 50-100 grams/day (or less) = accelerated fat loss. 100-150 grams/day = effortless weight maintenance.
     50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss. Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.”

I personally try to keep my carbs between 25 and 45 for several reasons. I recently had two Invasive Malignant Melanoma tumors removed from the bottom of my foot, leaving a 3”X 4”X ½” hole. I am trying to encourage healing and prevent a giant Diabetic foot ulcer from forming as well as to discourage any new cancer growth since excess Blood Glucose will promote both.

There are at least two different glucose meters. One, like mine, gives the larger number and the other, which you have, gives smaller numbers. It is just two different way of measuring the blood glucose in relation to different amounts of blood
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    I'm in Canada So probably a little different. As long as I know mine that will do.

Went to my diabetic counsellor today and she advises not to go to low on carbs. She claims you need the carbs to keep the brain functioning properly. I don't want to lose nothing in that area lol.

Only difference I found with all this is you need to take time to cook. Time to exercise some. And take time to take care of you.

Thank you all.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi LinCharpentie, as Laura has already spotted, some countries like the US use mg/dl units to measure blood glucose while others like the UK use mmol/l (the UK is in the process of changing and we have a dual system which is even more confusing) To add to the confusion, many folk in the US and other places test daily while in the UK only Type 1 diabetics and those Type 2s on insulin test daily. From your post you seem to suggest that you are testing daily. If your are not having regular A1c tests you should query this as soon as possible. The A1c test, which is done every 3 months gives an indication of the average blood glucose level over the previous 3 months and is the definitive monitoring check for Diabetics. The consensus view is that an A1c reading of around 6 would indicate an acceptable level of control. Non diabetics would have a reading of less than 5. If you have not yet been booked on a diabetic education course you should chase this up as well. Most people who have taken this training have found it beneficial.

You are already making progress by realising that food choice is important. As diabetics we don't need special foods or be different from our families. We do however need to be careful of portion control and avoiding things which result in a sharp increase in blood sugars. Take your time to read around the boards and get a feel for the site. There's lots of useful information on here and lots of people willing to help and encourage those folk who are learning to live with this condition. The good news is that with small adjustments we can lead healthy and active lives. I wish you well on your journey and will certainly help in any way I can.
  • tkgraham
    Options
    I am a huge fan of the Weston A Price Foundation and Thomas Cowan. Here's an article of his on Treating Diabetes that talks about limiting carbs. http://www.westonaprice.org/diabetes/treating-diabetes Dr. Diana Schwarzbein's books are also amazing on teaching about how critical diet is in treating diabetes. I find that I do better with increased knowledge AND MFP! Log, log, log!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great article with seemingly sound suggestions.

did you notice this part of the article

she referenced from http://www.westonaprice.org/diabetes/treating-diabetes

"On his initial visit to me, in spite of these drugs, his blood pressure was 165/95, and his HgbA1c ( a measure of the average blood sugar over the past 6 weeks) was 8.1 (normal is 5.5-6.5). He had been instructed in the American Diabetes Association diet which is calorie-restricted and fat-restricted--and also universally reviled by the patients. Clearly, in spite of the best that Western medicine had to offer, he was not doing well."

Weston seems to recommend starting with 62 carbs until sugars are under conder control and them increasing to 72

He speaks to the role of anxiety and stress and how it impacts blood sugar to include beta blockers......

Thanks for posting the link to this article. I'll be talking to my doctor about some of this information at my next vist for sure.
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For the most part I agree with BigGuy47. If it hard for you to walking you could try some aquatic workout or swimming. Swimming is very good for you & it is very low impact so it should be work well for you.
  • Annaduurai
    Annaduurai Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A lot of great information here. I have given up pasta, breads and sugar. I have learned to do some cooking with flax (only grain I know of with as much fiber as it has carbs) Cravings get hectic this time of year. When my sugar spikes (can happen from stress as much as from food) I get on an exercise machine for 40 min and it seems to lower it pretty quickly. I have been managing my diabetes with no meds for 2 years. This year I hope to lose 90 pounds and beat the disease.
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Hi all for all the great imput. Is it possible that i've been a non diagnosed diabetic for a long time like 30 years or more. Because I have as far as I can remember have these funny feelings were your eyes flutter and you eat a little something and it goes away. I brought that up to my diabetic counselor nurse. And she doesn't think that could be. I talked to other diabetics and they think It is very possible. I will have to ask my doctor. see with me being on a diet off a diet for the last 40 years. Maybe when i'd have my yearly blood work done was when I was on a diet. Never paid no attention.

But I will go and fix my food tracking. As John said or someone here the carbs are to high. Bring up my protein. I do like meat. And vegetables. Fruit some are high in carbs. Banana's sure spike me anyhow. Apples I love but again high in carbs.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Hi all for all the great imput. Is it possible that i've been a non diagnosed diabetic for a long time like 30 years or more. Because I have as far as I can remember have these funny feelings were your eyes flutter and you eat a little something and it goes away. I brought that up to my diabetic counselor nurse. And she doesn't think that could be. I talked to other diabetics and they think It is very possible. I will have to ask my doctor. see with me being on a diet off a diet for the last 40 years. Maybe when i'd have my yearly blood work done was when I was on a diet. Never paid no attention.

But I will go and fix my food tracking. As John said or someone here the carbs are to high. Bring up my protein. I do like meat. And vegetables. Fruit some are high in carbs. Banana's sure spike me anyhow. Apples I love but again high in carbs.

You could have been "insulin resistant" for years. Insulin resistance is a precursor to Type 2 diabetes. IR comes with a host of metabolic issues. It is also called PCOS, Syndrome X, Metabolic Syndrome and a couple of other names I can't remember. Some of the symptoms of IR are hypoglycemia, gestational diabetes, difficulty losing weight, thinning hair, excess hair in all the wrong places, hypothyroid, irregular or difficult menstrual periods, and many more. I now know that I have most likely been insulin resistant since puberty. That's when I started rapidly gaining weight and matured really fast and have always been unable to lose any significant weight no matter how hard I tried, hair in places I do not want it. I also had diabetic pregnancies resulting in big babies. I was not diagnosed diabetic until my mid forties.

Yes, decrease your carbs. Keep your protein intake moderate. Excess protein gets converted into glucose and too much protein can be hard on your kidneys. Up your fat intake -- good fats like olives, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado. Throw in some bacon occasionally. LOL! I've recently learned this. I was eating a lot of protein. I've cut my protein intake in half and upped the good fats a lot. I am finally getting consistent BG readings under 100 mg/dl.