Beginning induction 11/26/12

a_crotty
a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
Hello everyone. My testing for PCOS will be complete on 11/23/12 and I am about 99% sure I have it which can cause many things including insulin resistance. I have tracked how I feel after consuming carbs over the past 2 weeks and I bloat, get very gassy and feel sluggish. This has made me do my research and I believe that Atkins is for me. I am a carb junkie, sugar junkie but I can and will do this!

Replies

• a_crotty
    Might I add that no matter how many calories I cut nor how much I excercise, I don't really lose much. I hope this helps in that area also.
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    I don't have PCOS, but Atkins has helped me feel a lot better. I've done it a few times before and have always had good results. I find it helps speed up the weight loss for me then just dieting and exercise alone.

I'm a slow loser but low carbing it really helps. I do feel less bloated, I feel less sluggish, and I deal with hunger better. When eating high carb, if I get hungry I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't eat soon. On low carb I can feel hunger and deal with it until I'm able to eat something.

Wishing you the best of luck :) I started again just a few days ago and I'm already a few lbs down (mostly water weight)
  • a_crotty
    I don't have PCOS, but Atkins has helped me feel a lot better. I've done it a few times before and have always had good results. I find it helps speed up the weight loss for me then just dieting and exercise alone.

I'm a slow loser but low carbing it really helps. I do feel less bloated, I feel less sluggish, and I deal with hunger better. When eating high carb, if I get hungry I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't eat soon. On low carb I can feel hunger and deal with it until I'm able to eat something.

Wishing you the best of luck :) I started again just a few days ago and I'm already a few lbs down (mostly water weight)

Thanks!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Good luck, but why wait until 11/26 ? There is no magic day that will make things perfect for you. Turkey is low carb, and If you skip the stuffing and the pie you'll escape that carb bloat you complain about. Maybe it is just me but I don't get the "Fat Tuesday" concept of people getting over a holiday, birthday, whatever, and then starting a diet.

That having been vented pleas read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY/view/the-science-behind-rapid-weight-loss-during-the-1st-week-or-so-of-low-carb-i-e-induction-and-why-it-eventually-slows-down-348757

I might help you through sume rough patched.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    I'm a carb/sugar junkie as well. I've been doing low carb for almost 6 months. I can let you know that after the first few weeks, your insane desire for sugar/carbs declines dramatically. The longer you can resist them...or any foods you have a 'problem' with, the easier it is. It takes strong determination to get into the swing of things. I found that I got more and more excited each day I was successful, and the drive for success does indeed overtake the desire for ice cream cake:) Good luck to you!
  • a_crotty
    Good luck, but why wait until 11/26 ? There is no magic day that will make things perfect for you. Turkey is low carb, and If you skip the stuffing and the pie you'll escape that carb bloat you complain about. Maybe it is just me but I don't get the "Fat Tuesday" concept of people getting over a holiday, birthday, whatever, and then starting a diet.

That having been vented pleas read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY/view/the-science-behind-rapid-weight-loss-during-the-1st-week-or-so-of-low-carb-i-e-induction-and-why-it-eventually-slows-down-348757

I might help you through sume rough patched.

Only waiting til then for my test results. I do try and stay away from carbs as much as possible now...although I am learning as I go. I've read a lot of the atkins site this past week. I will check it out and thanks.
  • a_crotty
    I'm a carb/sugar junkie as well. I've been doing low carb for almost 6 months. I can let you know that after the first few weeks, your insane desire for sugar/carbs declines dramatically. The longer you can resist them...or any foods you have a 'problem' with, the easier it is. It takes strong determination to get into the swing of things. I found that I got more and more excited each day I was successful, and the drive for success does indeed overtake the desire for ice cream cake:) Good luck to you!

Thank you, thats incredibly promising!
  • a_crotty
    End of day 1 and I did OK, 22.3 net carbs and let me just say...my heads killing me. I saw about 90x the normal amount of people I'd usually see eating ice cream today...blech. I certainly hope this gets easier sooner rather than later.
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    The first few days might be rough, you might get what is called the 'Atkins flu' because you're body is adjusting to the change. Afterwards a lot of people feel energetic and clear headed (I know I did).

Tough it out and you should be good :) If you search 'Atkins Flu', I think you can find suggestions to help make it easier.
  • Stick with it, you will feel better than ever in a few days!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    How are you going on Induction?
  • a_crotty
    Monday, started and felt ok.
    Tuesday bad headache and tired
    Wednesday slight weird head feeling and real tired at night
    Today, OK. Slight fuzzy head feeling.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Tuesday bad headache and tired
    Wednesday slight weird head feeling and real tired at night
    Today, OK. Slight fuzzy head feeling.

Dill pickles. Eat a handful of the mini dills about twice a day.
    Drink chicken broth--not the low-sodium kind.
    These two saved me from ditching the diet altogether the first week. By day 5 you should feel great!
  • shelbygirl444
    shelbygirl444 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi! I just joined this group and was reading your topic thread but it stops at the end of Nov. Dd you quit? How about an update? I've done atkins twice in the past with fantastic results. I just started again ( a week ago tomorrow) to lose the baby fat from my 7 mnth old. Hope to hear from you soon!