Birth Control

Options
My surgeon let me know that my birth control pill may not be as effective after surgery, even with the sleeve instead of bypass. I do plan on discussing this with my internist but I wanted to get your opinions on what birth control options you find work best for you.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i am using the Nuva ring! I love it! I can't remember pills to save my life. But immediately after my sleeve I got that Mirena. I had it for about a year, and it wasnt for me. My doc never said anything about the pill being less effective, I just opted for something I didnt have to think about since I already had to change most of my lifestyle. :happy:

Hope this helps! And good luck to you!
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use the Ortho-Evra patch... BUT it is only effective under 198lbs (says their website).

I didn't take any form of birth control after surgery until I got under 198 lbs, because I despise needles (Depo) and an IUD just wasn't practical for me.

It is much like the pill, though it is 3 patches and you change them every Sunday. The "rest" week is like the rest week oft he pills/sugar pills. I don't get any spotting and my periods are regular. The only "con" to it is that during the first 2 days of being off a rest week, I have bad cravings and am super hungry all the time.
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    I had a Mirena IUD fitted prior to surgery and I love it. It has improved my periods significantly and it is great not having to remember to take anything or do anything!
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nuva Ring is a good one.
  • mommycline
    Options
    I was also advised against the pill cause your body processes and absorbs differently and they were unsure of it's effectiveness. My surgeon requires 2 forms of birth control be used.
  • BrwnEyedGrl1987
    Options
    I'm using the Nuva Ring. I talked to both my surgeon and my OBGYN about options since they told me that the pill would be less effective. Considering it's recommended that you not get pregnant for 2 years after surgery, I didn't want to take any chances. I love being on the ring.
  • mommycline
    Options
    I'm using the Nuva Ring. I talked to both my surgeon and my OBGYN about options since they told me that the pill would be less effective. Considering it's recommended that you not get pregnant for 2 years after surgery, I didn't want to take any chances. I love being on the ring.

I guess it depends on the doctor...I was told 1 year- 18 months before I could get pregnant.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I used depo shots for the first 18 months post-WLS. Whoa!! The combination of raging hormones from losing weight rapidly mixed with the hormones from the shots drove me insane. Thankfully my bf has been fixed so no worries here anymore (plus I'm really old anyway so there was probably not much of a chance...lol).
  • dorky_kelly
    dorky_kelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just got Mirena. I am having surgery on 12/11/12. I am really liking it so far, but for the three days before I had my first period I was a total basket case. Then once it started it was like a switch flipped and I was myself again. I hope it's not like that every cycle.

It's so nice not having to worry about a pill or a patch, but I will say that it was SO PAINFUL to have it put in. I have never had any children, so my cervix is not user-friendly by any means. The pain was terrible at the time, but in hindsight, so worth it!