W1D1 about died

Options
So today was my first time trying this.

I was doing it on the treadmill and was okay, but then I had to stop halfway through. I couldn't keep going.

I don't know if it was me or the fact that I am doing it on the treadmill. I'm assuming the treadmill would have some effect speed wise, plus it doesn't feel natural.

So, I was wondering what the people who did this program on the treadmill thought. I am not starting this straight from the couch. I don't exercise A LOT, but I go occasionally. At least once a week, usually two

Replies

• Jme03
    Jme03 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I run outside & not on a treadmill, but W1D1 was MUCH tougher than I expected it to be. Until I worked up my endurance, I would skip every other run interval. I've been doimg C25K for 6 weeks, but I'm only on week 3 because I repeat weeks. This is what is working for me. Hope this helps!
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am not a runner yet today I ran week 5 run 2 and managed it. Warm up walk for 5 mins, run for 8 mins, 5 min walk and another 8 minute run followed by 5 min cool down walk. When I started week 1 I was so unfit I couldn't do all of the run minutes and was gasping and feeling grim. I repeated week 1 for 3 weeks! Since then I have seen progress. I will never be a fast runner, but I can see that this will work, even if I need to repeat some of the later weeks that are coming up i will still be fitter than I was on week 1.

Maybe stick with it for a bit? I don't know about tredmill running as I run outside, and in the wind and rain today!
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How fast were you running, maybe you need to slow down. This is about endurance, speed will come with time.
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    How fast were you running, maybe you need to slow down. This is about endurance, speed will come with time.
    ^^^^ This! :)

I did 3.2/5mph walk, and 5.2 jogging with 2% incline. I was able to get through it, normally I am dying when I was doing my own timed intervals but I set my pace for jogging at like 6.7 but I just want to get endurance...figure I will increase rate later.
  • jordansilvia
    jordansilvia Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips.

Now that I think about it, I may have been running too fast, doing about 5.5 mph. It was a speed that felt like a natural run. I noticed that when I run on the treadmill my strides aren't the same as what they would be if I were outside, so I thought I would speed it up to make it better.

I am going to restart this outdoors. I think it will be better and my training will be more effective.
  • locstar22
    Options
    I just started today and am also a moderate exerciser but this was a great workout and endurance is the name of the game...i did it on the treadmill. Walking at 4mph and running at 4.3. I'm also using the c25k pro app and really like it
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I run outside usually. So far, I have attempted to run on the treadmill twice. Its a different ball of wax and one that I have not mastered yet!! My legs hurt differently and my pace is off. Anyway, I have failed both times I have tried running. I am w6d3 (22 minute run) and I only got to 14 minutes on the treadmill so I have to repeat today and I am either running outside or on the track at the gym. I know I can do the 22 minutes because last week the 20 minute run almost killed me but I completed it with no problems.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill now, but I started out running outdoors. A large part of why I switched to the treadmill was because week one was so hard in my area -- I live in a very, very hilly area, and it was the end of August.

I wanted to die with week one, too! It was such a switch from my usual exercise -- either doing nothing, or swimming, or yoga -- and that first week made me come home after each run, jump in the shower, and crash back on the couch. But it gets better -- I'm about to start week 5, and haven't wanted to outright die in a long while!

For me, the treadmill was key in pacing myself. The first few weeks, I was all over the place, and I think I was pushing myself harder than I was ready to do. On the treadmill, I can set my walking speed at 2.8 mph, and my jogging speed at 5.1, and I know that I *can* get through it. (My usual walking speed is around 3.2 mph -- I drop the walking speed for C25K to make the runs better.) Eventually I'll have to go on the road and try being outside again, but by the time the weather's nice, and I need to get ready for a real 5K, I think I'll be better prepared.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly !!!! SLOW it down !!!
    I am on week 9 and I still don't get over 5 MPH. But then I'm a slow turtle.
    As others have said.. it's not about speed in the beginning.

Start out slow and add a small amount each week.
    You'll probably still pass me in a race... HA HA H A