The main forums and thyroid (again)

Options
firstsip
firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
I'm pretty much making this thread to vent, and for everyone else to vent.

I feel like, inevitably, any thyroid post on the main forums includes a link to this group... and someone going, "Thyroid is an excuse." One rather, uh, infamous girl from a certain state is one of these ("I though I was a special snowflake with a thyroid issue! Nope, that's just an excuse!").

With my working out 5-6x a week, calorie cycling that NEVER even goes above my TDEE (which, if I ever get that high... has literally probably only been this last week what with a certain holiday), and a consistent effort to moderate carbs, up protein, watch sodium, and generally eat clean without depriving myself...

I've lost close to 10 pounds.

Since January.

Granted, I've lost TONS more inches since I lift heavy 4x a week, and I fit into my "normal size" clothes again at a higher weight than before... but even still, the number on the scale has changed a pretty small amount for my overall goal.

I'm 23. I'm active. I eat healthy, and I've always been active and ate pretty healthy (really, my unhealthy patterns were leftovers from recovering anorexia... so overeating has NEVER been an issue with me).

It's just discouraging to see women my own age say, "Wow, I just dropped pop and candy out of my diet and started working out once in awhile, and now I've lost 30 lbs in 3 months and have a sixpack!"

That might seem like an extreme example, but I see it so often! I'm so happy that people make that progress, but then I get SO angry when people say, "Thyroid is just an excuse."

I don't have a thyroid--and issues with my endo overmedicating me resulted in my BOOM!CORTISOL weight gain that put me on this site in the first place.

Sorry for the rant :( I just know I get angry when I see more frequent comments on the main forums about how thyroid is "just an excuse" for weight gain/slow weight loss. I wish I could just constantly copy/paste my own story like SOMEONE IN PARTICULAR ON THE FORUMS to hone home that NO, not everyone with a thyroid issue is using it as an excuse.

Some of us work hard, and keep working hard, and don't see results... but we keep doing what we're doing, despite our own bodies working against us.

Replies

• sometimes_blondie
    Options
    That is exactly how I felt! I've been working on losing 50 lbs for over a year now. I eat healthy, sometimes have treats, but I never overdo it. I exercise hard 5 days a week. I've lost 8 lbs. Sometimes I feel so discouraged. It feels like I'm working so hard to just not gain! I'm hoping that eventually when my meds are at the correct dosage, it will start to come off. I've pretty much stay out of the forums now because so many people are rude and arrogant. I usually come to this one only because we have that extra hurdle to get over. :flowerforyou:
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ugh this makes me furious. its a medical condition not an excuse. I wouldnt wish this condition on anyone but i would love those who dont suffer with hypothyroidism to walk in our shoes.
  • tokataro
    tokataro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't start to have this problem once I've lost most of my weight. So far I've been losing reasonably fast, but I'm afraid it's just because I was so heavy to start off (~300lbs). I know some slowdown is inevitable, but I'm afraid I wouldn't/ stay dedicated if I were putting in that much work and losing so slowly. Kudos to you for sticking with it. And yeah, screw all those normal-thyroid people who think it's JUST an excuse.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    :love: :flowerforyou:
    That is exactly how I felt! I've been working on losing 50 lbs for over a year now. I eat healthy, sometimes have treats, but I never overdo it. I exercise hard 5 days a week. I've lost 8 lbs. Sometimes I feel so discouraged. It feels like I'm working so hard to just not gain! I'm hoping that eventually when my meds are at the correct dosage, it will start to come off. I've pretty much stay out of the forums now because so many people are rude and arrogant. I usually come to this one only because we have that extra hurdle to get over. :flowerforyou:

This is exactly how I've felt for the last 10 years.. To my horror I've slowly watched my weight climb since I was about 43 to an all time high. I've actually gained almost 60 lbs now. It doesn't matter what diet; what I eat; how much I excercise (which had gotten to the point of breathing issues; until I started heavy weight training, that 'is' helping the fatigue some) But the weight "My God' I used to look at the scooter people in the grocery store and wonder how they could 'let' themselves get that out of shape. Yesterday I freaked out thinkin that could be me in five years!!

It is very discouraging to watch everyone else drop yet another lb and I've been on MFP for four months and not one lb. (Same with Weight Watchers!!! I just wanted that gosh darn 5 lb paper xeroxed star!!! ) :grumble: :ohwell: :embarassed: :frown: :sad:

So to all of you sweet fellow thyroid sufferer's Here's to us who try and refuse to give up!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    PS the one pound isn't actually one lb.. I've gained it back.. But it does stop people from asking me why I never loose anything. :laugh:
  • gam219
    gam219 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Thyroid is the kind of thing where if you don't actually have the problem, it's hard to understand (even with friends in real life). But it doesn't make it any less frustrating when people make comments like that. And also exactly why it's nice to have this forum :) I can't tell you how much better I feel reading what others go through, but knowing they're still working hard to better themselves.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    **when I say "you", I dont mean YOU.. I mean the general forum population not reading this board. LOL**

I just got done reading a thread about low carb diets, which irritate me about as much as the anti-hypoT posts out there. I love it when a handful of people can make statements like "It doesnt matter how many carbs you eat - its calories in and calories out.. thats the bottom line, anyone else is lying to themselves and everyone else". Really? I have been eating LESS than 1800 calories per day for almost a year, with the exception of a few weeks here and there where I needed to get my bearings again. At my current weight, on an 1800 calorie diet, with NO exercise, I should be able to lose 1/2 - 1lb per WEEK. On a 1500 calorie diet, I should be able to lose up to 2lbs per week. You add in exercise and technically, I am not eating enough. So tell me why... on one year of faithful following of weight watchers, did I gain 40lbs? Tell me why, if I eat UNDER 1500 calories but go over my carb content by more than a few carbs, I do not lose weight, or worse, I gain weight. How come I can exercise, eat healthy, drink gallons of water, take all my meds and vitamins, and stand on the scale and have that damn thing say the same number over and over and over again? Oh people make me so mad!! They speak for the general population and they have no freaking clue what the hell they are talking about! They dont have to agree with my choice(necessity) to eat LC but for crying out loud, dont tell me what will and will not work for me! You are not me and you are not my Dr. and unless you are a specially trained medical doctor with a knowledge of endocrinology and the biological processes that occur in the human body, then shut the f$#@ up!

Ok, I'm done... I just read an anti-low carbing post and someone said something along the lines of "There are those that will try to use some fabricated medical issue to sell low carbing but thats just another excuse to sell their agenda". That isnt verbatim, just the condensed version.
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I just love this group!! Everyone on here is so supportive, everyone understands all the sruggles. Iwas only diagnosed in early October, but I've been suffering for some time before I finally went in to get checked out. I lost a little bit after starting the levothyroxin, but its still a battle to lose a pound and keep it off! And I understand the whole carb thing to. I'm a bread lover, but it almost seems like it's a fat magnet!! Before, I went on the forums to ask for help and people would say to watch your sodium. I was only consuming about 1500 mg of sodium, how could that prevent me from losing 50 lbs? To me the thyroid issue is another hurdle to manage in my weight loss journey and a reason to be extra careful about everything.