Sad Today

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
One of my ladies that I have been talking with had surgery yesterday and is in the ICU because they knicked her bowel. She is on a ventalator. Had to have all kinds of blood transfusions, not to mention what infection she could have due to the bowel leaking into her. Please pray for my friend. I feel so bad as I always spoke of how wonderful this surgery is, but you never think that the bad outcomes could happen to you and I don't talk about that much with people. I spend more time on the emotional roller coaster it can be than I do talking about the things that could go wrong. I guess I expect that is the MD's job, but I think I will start incorporating a little more of that into my talks - I am not a professional WLS counselor - I just have a lot of people who approach me because I am a nurse who has been through the surgery - and I do let them know I can only speak from my experience, but this hits too close to home.

Replies

• chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that. :( Thoughts going out to your friend for a speedy and favorable recovery.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your friend - I hope she is able to make a speedy recovery.

That is incredibly scary!
  • Yukonchickie
    Yukonchickie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wish her a speedy recovery.
  • spring423
    Options
    Will pray for her. All surgeries have consequences, hopefully she will make a full and speedy recovery.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh, I am so so so so sorry to hear this!

I agree though - you really only hear of the good, never of the bad. I was terrified of something terrible like this happening as someone I know whose friend had the surgery passed away on the operating table during the surgery.

I hope she will be okay - please keep us appraised of her progress!
  • cakelady69
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. I hope and pray she makes a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i was a nurse before my surgery too, so i know how people can play 20 questions about it! I am thinking about and praying for your friend. may she have a speedy recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Any surgery is a risk, but so it being extremely overweight. I pray for your friend.
  • RunningGranny
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers for you and your friend and her family!!!
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
  • jlbamagirl68
    Options
    Wishing her the best and a speedy recovery.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You and your friend are both in my thoughts.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of friends undergo WLS after seeing how well I have done. I always stress the risks to them and insist they do a lot of research. I know not everyone has an easy time of it. I hope your friend is on the mend.