You keto? So do I! Let’s be keto-buddies!

Options
Hey, I’m a 23 y/o female grad student trying to slim myself out. I started using MFP a few months ago focusing solely on calorie intake but have now started keto. I’m on week 3 and have lost 10lbs so far. I really would love to start following some folks through MFP that know the keto life (key to life, haha! ..sorry) and could help keep me motivated/give feedback/I can steal meal ideas from (mainly the latter). Though I’ve been on MFP, this is my first click on the ‘Community’ tab so I’m still a newbie in that aspect.

The stats I’m trying to maintain are 5%/20%/75%. The first 2 weeks were great but caught quite the keto-flu; no worries, I survived. Thanksgiving really threw me off though. Besides holidays, my biggest hurdle comes when the weekend hits and I’m in a drunken and munchy-crazed stupor. Not a cocktail fan, quite the JD fan though. Vodka sodas I’m training myself to enjoy. Any who, that along with just the hustle and bustle of the day makes it tricky to completely eat right. Also, grad student = low funds = not enough meat and cheeses = dilemma.

So my questions for you all is:
May I follow some of those who use MFP frequently and are about that keto?
Tips for suppressing cravings? (besides drinking more water)
Keto grocery ideas?
How to enjoy vodka sodas?

EDIT:
Also, I’ve always had this problem yet failed to find the answer -> How do you add foods that don’t show up in MFP searches (like certain dishes from restaurants)? And does inputing your own foods hinder your stats, especially if you don’t know the exact nutrition values?

Thanks so much and I apologize if there are a million other posts almost identical to mine! Keto on :glasses:

Replies

• rachaelfisher1
    Options
    Hey, this is my second time on keto. It's been 3 months (I started in August), and I also did it earlier this year in March.

Supressing cravings - I usually eat something more filling. Examples include bun-less burgers, spaghetti bolognese with slim pasta and protein cookies. Cheese is always good too.

Grocery ideas - meat, poultry, seafood and sauces!
    In terms of alcohol, i usually have vodka + sugar free redbull or lemonade.

And foods that aren't listed on MFP, if it's from a restaurant I'll take a guess (better than entering in nothing), and if I make it myself I'll add it as my own recipe and enter in the macros so that it's accurate.

Feel free to add, I do cyclical keto where I alter my macros on the weekends for training purposes but Monday-Friday I am strict-keto - 15% carbs (< 60 grams), 40% fats and 45% protein (>150 grams).
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I've been on keto since late June and love it, for me it's not a diet anymore but rather a lifestyle now.

Drinking-any distilled alcohol is pretty keto friendly it's just what you mix with it, so use diet soda or sugar free drinks..and for the love of all that is whiskey switch off of JD and move to Jameson, Eagle Rare, or Bullet!

Suppressing cravings- Fat is filling but water is the big key. If water isn't cutting it then I eat a hot dog, or a handful of almonds, or just a big cup of coffee with heavy cream.

Grocery ideas- find a local butcher shop for the best cuts of meat. Salt/season everything and always always have butter/sesame oil around to cook with.

I just guess or go to the restaurants page, get the info and put it in myself. Keto on!
  • KrD265
    KrD265 Posts: 22
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

I am new to keto, myself. I am beginning my 2nd week. I agree with Creed, even in my short time doing it, I don't feel like its a "diet" but a way of life. I'm still not perfect in it, but I am getting better. I've lost 8lbs in my two weeks and am pleased with results as far as overall health.

I, unlike you enjoy vodka (not as a shot thought). This weekend I found a new mixture that I really enjoy and you may like too. Vodka and Cranberry flavored Diet Sierra Mist.

I think the cravings will begin to subside. My first week, I felt hungry all the time. Now I struggle meeting calorie intakes. Sometimes, I literally forget to eat. That is something I have never been guilty of. A tasty little snack that helped me in my cravings was deli meat ( I used roast beef ) wrapped around a mozzarella string cheese.

Hope I've been of some help.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm fairly new to this site, but did Keto several years ago. And just picked it up again last week with full vengeance. After a week I'm down 5#.
    My favorite Keto find is Boar's Head Deli Dressing. I love it over a salad, with mozzarella, and deli meat/chicken.
    I love me some Vodka, and am a big fan of Skyy Blood Orange Vodka with Diet Sprite.
    Feel free to add me, would love to share Keto challenges and successes.
    Melanie
  • astronomer25
    Options
    If you eat a dish several times, I either add it to my foods, or my meals. I look up the stats or as close to them as I can get and enter them in and save it. That way if I need to find it in the future, I can look them up. For instance, I love Chipotle Chicken or Steak Salad (Lettuce, Cheese, Meat, Sour Cream) so I save it as a "Meal."

To create a meal, add the foods you want to your food diary and click "Remember Meal"

To save a new food, Click the 'Create Food' button on the Food Tab in MFP.

You can also search for what others put down, unfortunately I have found that most people are not accurate in what they record, so you have to be careful.

BTW - you should use coconut oil or olive oil when cooking, I would stay away from sesame oil personally.

So my questions for you all is:
    Tips for suppressing cravings? Increase your fat intake... fat isn't bad for you. If you can stomach heavy cream, I drink a few ounces if I get to feeling hungry.

Note2: Some people can't handle Aspartame, I find that I get a cephalic insulin response (stomach growling, hunger, etc). so you may need to stay away from Diet Drinks.

Don't go crazy on eating nuts... a handful of nuts is about 2 ounces and a couple of handfuls can easily exceed 50 grams of carbs a day.

Keto grocery ideas? - I like Pesto and Mozzarella for a lunch.
    I eat 2 eggs a couple slices of bacon daily for breakfast. A salad for dinner. Being Keto, I rarely eat lunch, and I have a couple ounces of nuts daily.

If you are keeping your carbs below 60, be sure to increase your salt intake to avoid keto-flu. I drink a mug of knorr vegstable stock or each a couple packets of salt daily (on my food).

Food costs - While the things you eat are more expensive, I found that I eat less. You should only eat about .6 - 1.5 grams of protein per a pound of lean body mass. My overall grocery bill is less than 40 bucks a week at Publix.
  • wildfirediva
    Options

The stats I’m trying to maintain are 5%/20%/75%.

I would up your protein a bit [but that is just me] I have mine set to 5%/35%/60% with the goal to get at 100-130g of protein/day
    Not a cocktail fan, quite the JD fan though. Vodka sodas I’m training myself to enjoy. Any who, that along with just the hustle and bustle of the day makes it tricky to completely eat right. Also, grad student = low funds = not enough meat and cheeses = dilemma.
    [
    I hit the clearance meat section and watch for sales and freeze to use later.
    I know my local grocery puts their clearance meets out every afternoon around 3-4 so I go in as soon as I can after that and get the better pieces. I have left with quality ribeye steaks for $2-3 each. Chicken has been quite the bargain lately I was finding chicken quarters for as little as $0.77/lb. I also love buying those rotisserie chickens ( can easily get 3 meals) and usually they are under $5.
    Tips for suppressing cravings? (besides drinking more water)

Water is important as is fiber. Make sure you are eating some good low carb veggies and or supplement with flax meal and or psyllium fiber. This will also help fight cravings.
    What is it in particular that you are craving? These can indicate nutritional deficiencies or sometimes we crave foods we are allergic/sensitive to.
    (feel free to message me your craving and I may be able to determine the issue.)

If you are craving salty, increase your electrolytes. With the amount of water you should be drinking you will also be loosing a lot and electrolytes can become depleted.
    I can recommend a few good electrolyte supplements.

Supplementation to meet your micros is almost essential on Keto. Get a good quality multi-vitamin and a good quality digestive enzyme supplement to get the most out of your intake.
    [I can recommend a few.]

Try to avoid sugar-free and or sugar substitutes (except stevia) for at least the first month if not more. They can deplete the body and or restrict the body from absorbing some nutrients and can stall weight loss at times.

How to enjoy vodka sodas?

Flavored vodka is my weakness. and makes it all better. Diet sprite/7up, diet tonic, soda or diet red bull/energy drinks are some of my go to mixers. [diet redbull and peach vodka is my latest favorite]

As for Whiskey...there are always Jack and Diets, Jack and Ginger (ale or ginger beer is better) Makers and Diet (but I would not do that to Makers....too good to mix w cola) or my favorite BLT - Bullet, lemon and tonic -tonic has sugar but a few won't hurt or see if they have diet tonic.

Love Woodford Reserve with a few ice cubes or ice and a splash of water.
  • Humna_humna_Cuse_Alumna
    Options
    You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the responses and ideas. Trying to keto on and take it one day at a time!

Also, anyone know of a tasty type of almond to buy? My friend just bought wasabi and soy almonds, not too fond of spicy like that though. Would you suggest baking your own trail mix?