Starting Over

Options
HMD7703
HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
Have you ever heard of doing a Sleeve Reset or Pouch test? Basically when you get to a certain point, your body may stop losing weight (this is me right now - stalled since Feb 2012). No matter how much I exercise or how healthy I eat, I can't seem to drop the weight.

I was wondering if any VSG Veterans have done a reset diet to shrink the stomach again? I can eat much more, including foods I couldn't bare before (breads, pasta etc). I try to not eat them, but I fall back into old habits. Also, I was thinking maybe I need to join some type of support group or see a therapist?!? I don't overeat (see my diary) but I have had an ED in the past. It might be past issues coming up again, not sure. Either way, I am happy with my journey but wish it wasn't over (stalled).

Advice?!?!

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do you still have access to your "team" that did your surgery? Mine says they are "here for life" to support you including the NUT, psyche doc and the monthly support group meetings. In addition to what you learn here you may be able to get some face to face professional guidance to get you losing again. I haven't had my surgery yet but I thought I would suggest that possible option.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Had my sleeve July 2011 and I've been more stalled that actively losing since April 2012. At my one year check up the dietician told me I wasn't eating enough (less than 1,000 calories a day usually). I also wasn't getting in all my water. I track my calories here and have upped them which helped a little. However, since I made a point of getting in all my water plus, I've dropped three pounds just this month. So, first off, it's normal for the weight loss to slow way down a year or more out. Making sure you get the right calorie and protein count in each day as well as your water is key. Second, and we all know this, exercise is not an option. Your weight loss will not continue if you don't exercise. And I agree with "healthybabs", go back to your doctor and team. They should be able to help you figure out how many calories, how much protein and what kind of exercise you should be doing.

Good luck and feel free to stay in touch. I totally understand that you're not ready to be done. I feel the same way! I'm just a little over 1/2 way to goal and I am no where near ready to be done yet either.
  • HMD7703
    Options
    I could go back to my Dr, but I would have to pay out of pocket. The NUT was nothing special. I have done a lot of research on metabolism post WLS and think I know the issue. The whole not eating enough theory is broken and doesn't apply to people that have had WLS because our metabolism is out of whack.

I would love to go back to those first months of doing liquids and mushy foods. But lordy, it is too hard now! LOL I am going to try a reset and see how it works. I will let you all know if it works for me.
  • JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The hospital I had mine done at has various support groups for WLS. I faithfully go to those. I even go to a 2nd hospital's support group. And I see a therapist. You might check into all those options. (I work with a therapist that specializes in weight/obesity/eating disorders. If you don't know how to find one in that specialty, start with some bariatric groups/hospitals in the area, as they should be able to recommend someone to you.)

I appreciate that you don't want to incur an out of pocket expense... but perhaps you should consider at least one appointment with your original team. It's an investment in your success in getting back on track. And of course, I do get you saying that you think you know what the problem is... but please remember, I imagine prior to WLS surgery you also knew exactly what the problem was... and I'd assume if you are anything like me, (or the rest of most people who've had WLS, lol), knowing what the problem is, and actually doing something to correct the problem can be two different things!

I can't imagine having gone through this process without my therapist, so I really highly reccomend looking into support!!
    Good luck! - Jill
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know my weight loss has been stalled for 8 months now. I too can eat things that I couldn't in the first year, including breads, sweets, even fried foods. All in small portions, but still. Two months ago I had injured my back, so stopped working out but didn't change my eating habits. Unsurprisingly I gained 5 pounds. I had gotten out of the habit of weekly weigh-ins, and wasn't paying attention to was surprised by it. I rejoined MFP, started working out again, and have gotten back to where I was, but not yet below the stuck point. I'd like to lose another 30 pounds, which seems tough at my recent pace. But when I look back from where I started, I'm really amazed and so thankful I have gotten this far.

I think the things that work best for for me, besides paying careful attention to what I'm eating (and eliminating sweets or fried foods, or too many starchy foods) and getting the daily exercise are the support options. My medical doctor wants to see me every 3 months, and while I "know" most of the things she's going to tell me, the act of meeting with her helps me stay accountable. They also have the nutritionist and counselor on staff, if I need that though I understand why paying for it out of pocket would be hard, especially if you didn't feel it was extraordinarily helpful when you last went.

My monthly support group meetings are free, and there are also ways to email the nutritionist if I have questions, but don't have time (or money) for an appointment.

I'm not sure what a reset is, I know the surgical group I used don't do any secondary surgeries, especially for sleevers. And I can't imagine going back to a liquid or mushy diet, though I know I lost a lot during that period. But eliminating sugar, or if you have a gluten sensitivity eliminate that? Or have your blood work done, maybe you're deficient in Vit D, or iron, or some other thing that you're not even aware of but could be stalling you?

Good luck, and even just the act of writing here, asking for advice and tracking your food, etc. is a big part of what will work.
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I have been thinking of doing a two day protein drink diet to see if I can restart my WL again. I have a very bad hip and am not allowed to exercise, so it is especially important for me to be able to do the food thing right. I am not perfect, and have found carbs sneaking their way back into my eating, so this concerns me, naturally. Carbs seem to have been my enemy for life.

I will tell you, I do worry that I will still get enough nutrition if I go longer than two days, but I think I am comfortable with that. If I were to go longer, I think I would do two days drink only, then things like greek yogurt (although I HAVE to put a little whole grain cereal in it to make myself eat it), cottage cheese, eggs, soft chicken - like the early stages.

Let me know if you give it a try...and if I can be of any encouragement or whatnot, feel free to friend me. Oh, BTW, I have lost 119 pounds since 08/02/11 - starting with the nutritionist (Third I personally had to try) and had the VGS 03/05/12.

Again, most of that, the orthopedic doc has not allowed me to exercise, so I still have 100 - 140 to lose, but I will eventually get there!

Melanie
  • Make sure that your gettng in your calories and that your getting the right ammount of protein/fat/carbs. and drink drink drink!!
    have you all tried water arobics / water therapy or Gentle Yoga (for people recovering from surgery and or injury)
    these classes at the YMCA
  • mistydk
    mistydk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about it's the 5 day pouch test

Here is a basic outline of what it is unless you want to pay for the full test at 5daypouchtest.com A lot of vsg'ers use it when I read on the forums.

Days One & Two: Liquid Protein
    low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein
    canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein
    ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein
    white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game
    Read more.
  • HMD7703
    Options
    I know what you're talking about it's the 5 day pouch test

Here is a basic outline of what it is unless you want to pay for the full test at 5daypouchtest.com A lot of vsg'ers use it when I read on the forums.

Days One & Two: Liquid Protein
    low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein
    canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein
    ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein
    white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game
    Read more.

That is it! I wonder if it will work for me?!?

I feel like I need a total reset! I wish I could go back to the first few months post op! I was so dedicated and always had my protein shakes/ healthy foods. Granted, I do a lot more exercise now, I do not stick to a great diet. If you friend me, feel free to check out my food diary. I tend to be way under calories every day unless I splurge on something bad. I know I don't get enough protein anymore and could use more raw veg. I really need to kick myself in the butt. I don't want to go back - EVER!!! NEVER AGAIN.

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did you try the pouch test? I would be interested in hearing how it went. I've been thinking of doing it too.
  • horses7777
    Options
    bump
  • thompsonpyl
    thompsonpyl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that the "not eating enough" doesn't apply, but actually it does. While you may not need as many calories as someone who hasn't had WLS, it is extremely important that you get your protein and liquid intake. Be sure to look at your journals and see if you are getting 64 oz of water and 60-80 grams of protein. It can make a big difference.

Best of luck. You will be successful, but try to focus on the overall goal of healthy living.
  • HMD7703
    Options
    No, could not stick to it past lunch! LOL

Will definitely try again!