Weights-- Advice needed

Options
I would like to add some weight training to my exercise program. (With my back issues, I can only do chair exercises for now.)

I don't know where to start though. (I'm not a member of a gym and won't be for the foreseeable future.) How much weight should I be using? Reps? Type of exercises? Things that I can do at home?

I really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi Lady I do seated lifting right now also this is what i do so this is my experience i am not a trained pro lol at wal mart or academy get u a 2 or 3 lb weight u don't even need two and i get the covered ones you will see when u get there
    For all these exercises described do 3 sets of 12 reps do one set of one exercise on one arm then the other arm and switch back till each arm gets 3 sets alternating this keeps your blood moving while one arm is resting brings you closer to a burning heart rate. If u have blood pressure problems avoid over the head lifts till u loose more. I will now try to describe the exercises I do All sitting , first hand at side curl weight up bending at elbow with palm facing up b sure and always control it on the way down giving resistance / next same thing but with palm facing my knees / then with palm facing down ( 3 different exercise each gets 3 sets of 12) next I have weight in hand at side I bend forward and raise my elbow making my arm look like an L then extend the weight behind me palm facing knees 3 sets of 12 next I bend forward putting my elbow on my knee on the inside and lift with palm facing up then with palm facing torso then there are the lateral lifts hand at side palm facing down lift arm with elbow locked straight in front of u to shoulder level control on the way down next same but to the side palms facing legs lift locked arm to shoulder level

When these sets& reps get to easy buy the next bigger weight and start over I started with one lb weights I use 8 lb weights mostly now I still use 5 for my lateral lifts they are still difficult I have just recently added some overhead lifts

I have seen the shape of my arms and back change and my posture has improved

I hope sharing what I do helps
  • ladyrhyanon
    Options
    thank you very much!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    YW