pregnant and cold

Options
licha75
licha75 Posts: 391 Member
Just wondering how anyone can cope with a sinus cold and being pregnant. My doctor told me I can have tylenol, neti pot, garggling and halls. But I am having trouble specially at night with my throat being so sore. I don't want to take anything that will harm the baby. Anything worked for anyone or any suggestions?

Replies

• speshell4
    Options
    Being sick while pregnant is the WORST!!. I know of nothing that you can take. But in addition to the things you listed. A humidifier really helped me. I used the vicks one. Also to help with my sore throat, I would put some honey on a spoon with Cinnamon and just eat it. or hot water, lemon and honey.
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would suggest lots of hot chamomile tea with honey for the sore throat and a humidifier in addition to what your doctor told you. I know it is not fun and hope you feel better soon.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Get a warm air humidifier by your bed and sleep with your head raised. Take hot showers when you get too congested, the steam will help clear you up for a little while at least. Tea and honey or hot water and honey could help your throat too. Sometimes pineapple juice seems to numb it for me too, but I don't know if that works for anyone else.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be possible to get sick while pregnant. I've had two colds that have knocked me on my butt while I've been pregnant. I could take cough syrup (just plain) and sudafed. And I slept a lot, on the couch, pretty much sitting up because I was coughing so badly. I would definitely just drink some hot tea with honey and lemon or just hot water with lemon and honey, if you prefer. It does definitely help. And get TONS of sleep.

I hope you feel better soon!!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I just had a cold (that turned into laryngitis - after three weeks, my cold has disappeared, but my voice is still not back to normal), and it involved stuffiness, a sore throat, and coughing (not deep chest coughs, though). I ate non-medicated lozenges (no menthol or anything else), and my doctor told me I could take Tylenol Cold. I try not to take medicines if I can help it, so I didn't do that.

Otherwise, I drank hot tea with lemon and honey or just hot water with lemon and honey. Sometimes the lemon hurt my throat, though, so I'd just do honey, and sometimes I did straight honey with no tea or hot water :wink:
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Cepacol ( I think I spelled that right) works fab for a sore throat. And I use Vick's vapor rub on my chest and throat when I have a cold. Vick's is my personal favorite. My entire family just had the cold,strep,ear infection deal. It took us 3 weeks to get completely well. Good luck & hope you get well soon.
  • cali76grl
    cali76grl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's seriously cruel and unusual torture to be sick while pregnant! Between the return of the morning sickness and this darn lingering cold... I'm downright miserable the last 2 weeks! I better have some good Flu Season Karma because I'm seriously over being sick!!

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that's helped all symptoms. If it helps the cold... it makes my morning sickness go off! UGG!!!

Hope you all feel better soon!
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Actually after reading lots of your suggestions, a humidifier came up alot, so I went and bought one. It was totally worth it, I still leave it on at night when I go to bed. It's just enough to make my throat feel better and less dry. My voice is back too, so it's getting better. My doctor told me to stay away from Tylenol Cold and certain losenges, so that wasn't an option for me. I should of went and bought a humidifier a long time ago, now my 13 year old son is sick with a sore throat and he's been sleeping in my room on an air mattress for the humidifier! Little bugger, I better not get sick again!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing! And I could go into labor any day now! My Dr prescribed me a Zpak so I'm really hoping I can kick this crap before my baby makes his grand appearance! Hope you can get rid of it soon!!!