Afraid of Lettuce and the pouch

Options
gspea
gspea Posts: 412 Member
I had an episode one time long before the band - where I choked on a piece of lettuce :sad: . Scared me silly! So I am for some reason scared of eating a salad - I will nibble a bit on lettuce and if I cut it up into teeny tiny teeny tiny little itty bitty pieces I will have some. Has anyone had any issues with foods (like lettuce) after surgery?

Replies

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had an episode with iceburg lettuce once and I have found that if I eat more of the baby greens versus the iceburg it goes down easier, but still chew chew chew.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat ANY form of lettuce (unless you count baby spinach) since my surgery in March.

I get dumping and insane cramping and shooting pain.

I was told lettuce is extremely hard to break down, even for people who don't have a pouch, bue due to the fact that I don't "use" stomach acids anymore, the lettuce cannot be broken down and it just sits there.

I don't miss salad at all...............
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I started eating salads again at about the 4 month mark. I had heard some mixed reviews on how the pouch adjusted so I waited a while but once I tried it I never encountered any issues. I have had some trouble with steak, but to avoid any further trouble I chew it until all that is left is the little gum like connective tissue ball and spit that out. i also seem to swallow too much air when eating spaghetti style noodles so I opt for elbow, ravioli or penne style instead.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I eat salad regularly. I dont do well with iceberg lettuce (not to mention it has little nutritional value) but I do very well with either butter or romaine lettuce. I am eating a salad right now actually :)
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As long as it is NOT ICEBURG. That does not bother me as I can't stand Iceburg lettuce. Might as well chew on a wet sock. I can eat romaine and any of the leafy lettuces. Love them.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I make my salad with all of the other healthy veggies and don't even miss the lettuce.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have tried lettuce a few times and gave up. I take a bite or two and I'm full and it hurts and I don't get any calories, protein, or anything else in for a few hours. I gave up on salads and just stick with other healthy foods.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I eat lettuce all the time. It does not bother me. But then again, nothing really bothers my pouch. At 4 years out I pretty much eat like a regular person now.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought of other lettuce other than iceberg. That is the lettuce I choked on. Will try the others.

Thanks.