Weight Loss

Options
digitaljdr
digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
What are you currently doing for weight loss?

Are you looking to have surgery or already have had it?

Trying to get more participation out of this group and spread the word!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Had the gastric sleeve July 2011. I went through Grand Health Partners in SE Grand Rapids. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I was hoping to find a group of other Grand Health Partners patients and/or one for the Grand Rapids/West Michigan area.
  • TheNewRenee
    Options
    My name is Renee and I live in West Michigan. I am currently a patient at Grand Health Partners in Grand Rapids. I do not have a surgery date yet but have had all the apts leading up to it. I am waiting on a test result from my sleep study and when that comes back I will be able to set a surgery date. Hoping to have it sometime next month. I'm really needing to find other people who have had surgery who know how hard this journey is instead of those that think it is the easy way out and that the only way to lose weight is the way they are doing it.
  • amberlynhelms
    amberlynhelms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve surgery in 2007 at Mercy in Muskegon. Dr. Gluck was my dr and is so very wonderful. I went from 283lbs to 130 and just recently about 6 weeks ago had a body lift done to remove the excess skin. I am very happy and would do it all again in a heartbeat. It is not easy and I still struggle everyday with food choices but excersize is becoming my friend again, although not my best friend! Shakes and greek yogurt are my main staples along with some food from diet direct.
  • kathivg
    Options
    I am on the 6mos. weight loss plan required by my insurance company prior to surgery. I hope to have the Sleeve in May 2013. I also am working with Grand Health Partners and live in W. MI.

I haven't done well with my weight loss plan and have actually gained weight. My appointment the end of January will determine how I proceed, so I need to get with the program - literally and figuratively. I've also been a simple carb person, and have really wallowed in these through the holidays, as I figure it'll be the last I can eat this way. I think I will miss these things post-surgery, even though I've heard from people that the desire for these things isn't present the first 6-12 mos. post-surgery. I think my behavior is part passive-agressive and part addict (to carbs).

I'd love some feedback/ideas for kicking the simple carb habit. I've thought about going cold turkey and just being super crabby for about 3-5 days, and have tried it several times, but the cravings just get the best of me.

Thanks!

Kathi
  • kathivg
    Options
    I am also going through GHP and have requested Dr. Foote as my surgeon to do the Sleeve surgery at Blodgett.
  • jennifersowerby
    jennifersowerby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello West Michigan people,

I to am from West Michigan (Greenville/Rockford area) I'm planning on my gastric sleeve surgery 4/23/13...one week away. I'm so full of different emotions mostly excited. I'm also going thru Grand Health Partners. So far I'm very impressed with them. Doctor Nagle will be preforming my surgery did anyone else use him? Any advice for post-op recovery.
  • mnojo
    mnojo Posts: 6
    Options
    I am on the 6 month weight loss plan so probably Oct. The only test I have to have is the endoscopy because all the others were done within the last 15 months. I'm planning on the sleeve at NOCH (Grand Haven) with Dr Foote.

I do have to be careful to not loose too much weight in the 6 mths-don't want to be disqualified. I've tried so many and yo-yoed most of my life so I need the surgery as a tool to get down and stay down.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    jennifersower, best advice is follow doctor's orders/plan. Be vigilant about getting in your protein and water. And walk, walk, walk! I know it will feel like you are progressing slowly, going from all liquids to pureed food, to smooth, to soft, etc. But it's worth the wait because your tummy is completely healed by the time you can eat real food again. Grand Health Partners is a great place, the team is awesome. I'm almost 2 years out and I can still email my nutritionist. I had Dr. Kemmeter. You are in good hands!