Kale

Options
twinmom01
twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
So we have an awesome farm store that sells local farmers and food artisens goods (think grass fed beef, beautiful cheeses, gluten free goodies and of course lots of fruit and veggies all from local farms)

I am stopping by on my way home from work to grab some local honey and some new Scharica (sp?) sauce they have. They mentioned they have a ton of kale...so I was thinking of grabbing some...

Only I have no idea what to do with it - what is your favorite way to prepare it if you have limited time (i.e. 20 minutes to prepare it) _ I was thinking of using it as side with my "faux" buffalo chicken I am making tonight

I have had Kale chips before and didn't really float my boat.

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You need to rinse it and cut the stems out first. Then I like to saute it in bacon grease until tender. Salt and pepper to your likely. I also like to drizzle a good balsamic vinegar over it.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have Kale loads, its mega cheap in the UK and plentiful.

I bake it in olive oil and sea salt, steam it (without stems), fried with mushrooms and chilli flakes.
  • ethelapple
    Options
    Kale salad is delicious, but you have to be sure to cut out the center spine and massage it first with a little sea salt for about 5 minutes....then you can do whatever you like...I make a poppy seed dressing, onions, mandarin oranges, nuts or seeds (like sunflower seeds)....delish!
  • asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I second the bacon grease idea! I just chop up a few slices of bacon and throw them in a pan and when they are almost crispy, I throw the kale in (chopped into smaller pieces) to cook w/ the bacon and bacon grease with salt and pepper until it's pretty wilted and starts to turn really dark green. :) Heavenly!!
  • twinmom01
    Options
    I second the bacon grease idea! I just chop up a few slices of bacon and throw them in a pan and when they are almost crispy, I throw the kale in (chopped into smaller pieces) to cook w/ the bacon and bacon grease with salt and pepper until it's pretty wilted and starts to turn really dark green. :) Heavenly!!

yummm - I do have bacon (as well as a nice cup full of drippings)

Thanks all
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You need to rinse it and cut the stems out first. Then I like to saute it in bacon grease until tender. Salt and pepper to your likely. I also like to drizzle a good balsamic vinegar over it.

I do this plus a good shake of red pepper flakes. So good!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Were the kale chips you had homemade or from a bag? What didn't you like about them? I love the ones I made at home.... when I do it correctly. If I do it wrong, they are not good.
  • chopzgurl05
    chopzgurl05 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I chop it up and saute it with bacon. Throw it in a salad with homemade dressing. Throw it in soup for some extra nutrition and greenery. I know some people roast it, although, I am not sure how they season it.
  • twinmom01
    Options
    So I sauteed it in some bacon fat last night - added some spices and

Ehhhhh

just wasn't my cup of tea...but at least i can say I attempted. My husband used the leftovers this morning for his egg scramble

Think I will stick with spinach and roasted broccilli for my green stuff :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah Kale chips are a hit or miss I find, you have to watch them like a hawk so they dont burn...some batches I make Ilove, the next gross, lol :laugh:
  • mrsraushel
    Options
    OMG I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE KALE!

I've found pretty much anything I make with Kale requires removing the "ribs"/stems/whatever.

I've found the best way to make kale chips is to rinse, squeeze out the leaves (after de-"rib"-ing them), and toss them in olive oil, put them on parchment paper on a baking sheet, season with salt, pepper (sometimes I also add some lemon peel & ginger or whatever I'm feeling like at the moment), then bake at 300 for 20 minutes or until crisp.

I love wilting/sauteeing kale in olive or coconut oil with some seasoning--I'll pair it with chicken or beef.

Kale in smoothies! A cup of leafy kale with some fruit and a little coconut milk/almond milk/whatever you prefer and maybe a little protein powder, if that's your thing (not mine).

SO many options for kale!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I make it like 2 hr broccoli - with bacon and bacon fat and olive oil in a pot or crockpot for a few hours. If I'm not lazy I saute up half an onion, garlic, and anchovy into the oil. A little pepper and Real Salt.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've found pretty much anything I make with Kale requires removing the "ribs"/stems/whatever.
    While a lot of recipes benefit from de-stemming the kale, I often use them in fry-ups. I de-stem first and chop them (the stems) up finely - then add them to the pan in the beginning along with the onions. The extra cooking time lets them get a lot softer and blend in with the stir fry - and you get to enjoy the additional fiber! :)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I sautee it with olive oil and add season salt. Love it
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    While a lot of recipes benefit from de-stemming the kale, I often use them in fry-ups. I de-stem first and chop them (the stems) up finely - then add them to the pan in the beginning along with the onions. The extra cooking time lets them get a lot softer and blend in with the stir fry - and you get to enjoy the additional fiber! :)

I do the same with chard. The ribs are pretty tasty, just need a bit more cooking than the leaves.

My favorite way to do kale or chard, besides with bacon, is to sautee with garlic, lemon and some red pepper flakes. Kale and chard take really well to spice, but the lemon really brightens up the whole thing.