medication not allowing me to lose weight

Options
i am currently taken Glimepiride and Metformin. i truly believe by taking these that i cant lose weight. i stopped taking the Glimepiride and have lost 5 pounds :( but my sugars are through the roof.. any thoughts or ideas ???

Replies

• Khicox
    Options
    I have been on just about every oral diabetic medication out there. About 2 years ago I got really sick and the docs had no idea what was wrong. They took me off every single med I was on and switched me to insulin. I didn't like the idea at first but now I am so grateful that took that plunge. I take Lantus and Novalog now and while the weight loss is not easy my blood sugars are in check.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was taking both Glimeperide (Amaryl) and Metformin. I was able to keep my carb and sugar intake down enough that my sugar readings were low enough for the Dr. to take me off the Amaryl. But the Met actually HELPS with weight loss so I am still taking it. Met is not only prescribed for Diabetics but for overweight people, as it removes excess sugar from the blood. So don't worry about being on the Met for now. You may have to have your dosage increased if its not high enough. I used to take 500mg...now I take 1000. Work on keeping your carbs low and test often to see what foods cause your sugar to rise too high.

ETA - I should add that my Dr. told me I would have a lot of trouble losing weight. Well, I am proving him wrong....and I will continue to do so.
  • alisonjj
    Options
    I am on Gliclizide which is similar and Metformin SR. I have stopped taking the gliclizide myself and have ordered a blood glucose monitor to monitor things. Doctor wont listen to me and change my meds so I'm checking results for myself. If sugars go through the roof I will go back on the gliclizide.If my stats are good i will show the doctor on my next visit and tell her what i have done. If not I just will go back on meds and not mention it!! I am so desperate to lose weight.
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    Victoza helped me its a daily injection of 1.2 mg and it is amazing. Bloods are fantastic and it has sorted out the hunger pangs....have lost a load of weight too but that is cos I got myself a dog and I take her for daily walks lol
  • Khicox
    Options
    Have you heard of Body by Vi? It's a weight loss program! It's a meal replacement which I have tried. The deal is that you can loss weight on it and you will that is no doubt. It's only 90 calories per serving; I will say it's hard to stay on it and very expensive but does work. Since you are only doing shakes it makes it a really hard thing to keep up with. I go and off it from month to month just because it's a very hard thing to do unless you are at home all the time. If you are interested please let me know and I will give you my website.
    I am in the same boat as you :)
  • alisonjj
    Options
    ***UPDATE**
    Going to stop adding my exercise to diary. Just removed todays.Will add it to status.....it is playing havoc with my cals and macros and I'm struggling to lose any weight this way...so, set my activity to lightly active, workout 45-60 mins 6 days a week but no exercise cals to eat. See if this works. Also change my macros again and trying to follow a more traditional diabetes plan and raised my carbs (but no more than 150g) as I have had to reintroduce Gliclizide as my fasting bg was 9.0 on two successive days. That means increased insulin production so it has to have some carbs to work with, otherwise it will store as fat.
  • broodmom
    Options
    I just started back on meds after a couple of years of not taking anything and not going to doctor. I'm now taking Metformin and Glyburide I've taken them before and had no problem, but frankly I wasn't really watching my diet or monitoring my blood sugar.
    Now I have a whole new attitude, so hopefully this time I'll behave myself. This app really helps since I can look up foods so easily.

I am on a new eating plan suggested by a diabetic dietitan my doctor sent me to. I am supposed to eat 45-50 carbs per meal and 15-20 per snack, with no more than 3 hours between eating. I try to eat meals 6 hours apart with snacks halfway in between, and that worked well in my previous weight loss 12 years ago.

Now, though, the glyburide seems to play havoc with my sugars, and I get blurry off and on until later in the day when it starts to wear off. My doctor is having me monitor my sugars 6 or 7 times a day (ouch) for two weeks and will see me again next week to go over my meds. I tried skipping the glyburide one day, and accidentally forgot my Metformin another day, and both times my sugars went up. Keeping my sugars down is really important to me and I would never just stop using these meds unless the doctor tells me to. The Metformin keeps your liver from dumping glucose from stored starches into your body, and the Glyburide stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin, and the older you get the more you need this extra stimulation.

My sister had the same problem with Glyburide, and also intestinal problems with Metformin. She's just like me and didn't see her doctor for awhile, but now she's taking a slow-acting insulin instead. I'd rather take the pills, but I do want to be able to see OK :}
  • broodmom
    Options
    IMHO, you should have a doctor who doesn't just push pills for diabetes, but also counsels on diabetes. I'm lucky, because my clinic is part of a health network that has an excellent diabetes education and counseling program and the doctors refer new diabetics to them right away, as well as lapsed ones like me. A blood sugar monitor ought to be something the doctor prescribes from the get-go,especially if you're taking Glyburide or other med that increased insulin. You HAVE to monitor your glucose to make sure you don't get low blood sugar episodes. I had one when the night after I started taking it and almost passed out. Luckily hubby was home and got me a spoonful of sugar. My sugar level was 50. Doctor lowered my prescription levels right away.

BTW, my A1C level was over 11 when she put me on the meds, so I really needed them.
  • Nikkismission
    Nikkismission Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here's my thoughts on this. According to my Dr. I am diabetic..Looking at the numbers, I am "almost, but not quite" a diabetic. I say that to say.... He has not officially placed me on diabetic medications and he diagnosis me 2 years ago. I do however take blood pressure medicine and cholesterol medicine and victoza to cut down my appetite. I went to a diabetic seminar and I was learning about a holistic approach to dealing with my "diabetes". Most of the clients that were being treated were all taking the same medicines that I was taken. Reason being, Dr. treat everyone the same and put us all on the same meds. So they treat the symptons and not the cause. Well, I didn't wanted my diabetes to be handled that way. After further researching the holistic approach, i realized it was something I couldn't fund at the moment, but it did make me very interested in