Maintaining my hair while working out... HELP!

Options
Hello ladies! I think I may have posted this topic either in this group or another group over the summer but now that I am getting ready to take out my weave/sew-in, I need some more advice. I find that when I have my (permed) hair, it is really difficult to maintain my hair while working out... My hair starts shedding and becomes fairly unmanageable. Is it best to just wash and re-style a couple times a week (I usually just wrap and unwrap everyday) or have y'all found something that works?? Thanks!

Replies

• ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting braids!!! I couldn't take it!! I plan on keeping my hair braided for now until I figure out something else...LOL!! I"m sorry I wasn't much help. I hope someone else has an answer because I want to know as well!!
  • Natashia524
    Natashia524 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's why I've kept sew-ins for about 6 months because I knew it was best to just keep my hair braided up. But now my hair needs to breathe and I don't want to start damaging it. It's funny how people think that Black women use their hair as an excuse to not workout but it's REALLY an issue!!
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How did you like the sew-in? I have relaxed hair and I'm just doing too much damage to it with all the heat! I sweat so much when I work out that I have to blow dry it or sit under a dryer, when I don't wash it entirely. I was so desperate, that yesterday I wore my wig, which I hate! Did your hair do ok with the weaves? Did your hair grow any?
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    @phdiva, sew in's grew my hair out a lot!! I loved it!!!
  • Karamelicious
    Options
    I would love the answer to that. i tried braids but I don't like braids back to back because I don't want to damage my thinning edes anymore then they are damaged. I tried wrapping it with the scarf and using my satin bonnet but both gave me frizzy damp hair. I would LOVE some suggestions because I'm ready to start my journey again.
  • Natashia524
    Natashia524 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How did you like the sew-in? I have relaxed hair and I'm just doing too much damage to it with all the heat! I sweat so much when I work out that I have to blow dry it or sit under a dryer, when I don't wash it entirely. I was so desperate, that yesterday I wore my wig, which I hate! Did your hair do ok with the weaves? Did your hair grow any?

I enjoyed the sew-ins!! They allowed me to keep my hair braided down to prevent/reduce damage and still have the "look" of hair. I would highly recommend a sew-in if you're in need of style to get you through workouts, or cornrows. I've just had sew-ins for 6 months and I'd like to finally let my hair down and let it breathe. And yes, sew-ins also grow your hair!! I'm excited to see the growth when I take it down on Friday!