Favorite Sweater Yarn

Options
I'm thinking about making my first sweater/cardigan http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cables-and-lace-hoodie
but don't know which yarn to use... Being that it'll be my first sweater ever, I want it to be an inexpensive, machine washable yarn, and it needs to be available on the internet (I live in middle of nowhere). Was thinking about using Knitpicks Brava. Has anyone use it? What would be your choice of yarn?

Replies

• Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Simply Soft (made partly from recycled plastic bottles), and I also like I Love This Yarn. If I'm just want cheap yarn I get one of the Red Heart varieties.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've never knit a sweater, but if I was gonna put all that work into it (and it was for me), I'd probably use Malabrigo. lol
  • lisab0864
    Options
    Next sweater -- I'll be using the Malabrigo (beautiful colors)... Went the cheap yarn route w/this one -- figure if it' doesn't work out than can give my MIL the yarn. She knits in the 100s of pairs of mittens each year to give to the K and 1st graders at 3 local schools every year.
    Probably should knit another pair of mittens (felted) but.......probably will just have both projects going at once..
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and generous! I'm working on a pair of fingerless gloves for my daughter right now.
  • lisab0864
    Options
    She's up to 193 pairs of mittens this year (maybe 30 pair were left over from last year)... And I'm happy w/myself cuz I actually finished 2 pairs of mittens (felted) this fall and 1 pair I had started last winter.. ;-)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've got some Brava that I'm using for a couple of shawls. It seems comparable to Cascade Pacific if you've ever used that. It's a little nicer than simply soft. It does have a bit of a sheen to it so be aware of that (similar to but not as shiny as Simply Soft). I love Swish but the price difference for the size small is about $40 so if you're concerned about wasting yarn on a project you don't end up liking then the Brava is probably a better choice.
  • lisab0864
    Options
    Found out I just can't buy "expensive" yarn for myself....................Solving that problem by asking for yarn for Xmas.. My daughter is on a self imposed "no yarn buying" for herself so...............now she can go satisfy her yarn craving by shopping for me...
  • myraknits
    myraknits Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Definitely use the Malabrigo!! I'm in love with Malabrigo Silky Merino. Talk about yummy!!
  • psychwardmascot
    psychwardmascot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lambs Pride worsted of bulky, maybe too scratchy for some, it's 15% mohair, but super warm and comes in a bunch of great colors. Pretty reasonably priced too.