Share your favorite low carb soup recipes please

Options
needing more ideas for low carb soups.. :)

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I make a pretty good broccoli cheese soup:

1-1 1/2tbsp oil
    1/2 yellow or white onion (about med size) or 3 shallots, diced
    1tsp of minced or chopped garlic (more or less to taste but this amount isn't too garlicky)
    2 heads of fresh broccoli or 1bag frozen, chopped (stem and all)
    1 box of chicken broth, or about 3cans
    2cups of whatever cheese you like. I usually buy a cheddar/jack blend or the "mexican" blend
    1/4c heavy cream
    Xantham gum to thicken (optional) -- I start at 1tsp and add more if necessary
    Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil of med-high heat, add the diced onions and cook until they begin to turn clear, add garlic and cook about 1min more.

Add the chopped broccoli and cook about 4 minutes until it gets a little soft. Add the broth, bring to a boil and then turn down to med-Low and cook 15min.

At this point I take about half the soup out and blend it before adding back to the pot, or if you have an immersion blender just use that to get the chunks the size you want. Once you blend, turn the stove to low, add the cheese and let it melt, and then add the cream.

If you want your soup thicker, take a little of the hot soup out and wisk it in a bowl with some xantham gum (always start with a little and add more if you need). Add back to the soup, bring to a boil again and see if it's as thick as you want. If not, repeat this step.
  • manda1028
    Options
    thank you!! i will for sure try that :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    smoked bacon & savoy cabbage chowder- makes about 4 servings

-8 rashers of smoked bacon, chopped and fried until crispy. (or use regular bacon if you prefer)
    - 1/2 head of savoy cabbage, shredded.
    - 1 leek, chopped
    - 2 cloves crushed garlic
    - 1 pot (approx 1 cup/ 250ml) heavy/double cream.
    - 2-3 vegetable or chicken stock cubes dissolved in 1 litre water
    - black pepper & pinch of nutmeg

1. saute the leek and garlic in a little butter and add the stock and cabbage. Simmer for about 10 mins until the cabbage is tender and season.

2. Add the cream and stir through. Add crispy bacon last & serve.

Some others, courtesy of Linda:

Chinese beef soup: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/chinese_beef_soup.html
    Cream of green Chilli soup: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_of_green_chile_soup.html
    Cream of mushroom: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_of_mushroom_soup.html
    Hungarian Goulash Soup: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/hungarian_goulash_soup.html
    Texas Chilli: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/texas_chili.html
  • janbez
    janbez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bouillabaisse - This one is low fat too and AMAZING.

Cumble and brown 1/2 pound hot italian turkey or chicken sausage in large pan
    Add one medium diced onion and sautee until clear
    Season with saffron, coarse salt, cracked pepper and dried basil
    Add 1 pound firm white fish in chunks (like cod or tilapia)
    Add 2 cups diced tomato
    Add one pound each clams, mussels and shrimp, still in shells
    Cover with combo of chicken browth and tomato juice and simmer until the house smells so good you can't stand it any more.
  • manda1028
    Options
    thank you girls :) every thing sounds so good. im excited to give them a try :)
  • forkeeps251
    forkeeps251 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We make this at least twice a month, my version of Chicken tortilla soup. I calc'ed it at around 8 carbs. My husband puts tortilla chips in his, but I leave them out. It is good either way though!

1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
    1 carton chicken broth (don't know the size but it comes in a paper carton)
    1 can cilantro-lime rotel
    cilantro - as much as I feel like cutting up
    1/2 to 1 lime squeezed - depending on how much you like lime
    cumin powder - I just sprinkle some in, maybe a teaspoon?

I just dump it all in a pot and let it come to a boil, then simmer for a while... anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, depending on what else I'm doing. I use shredded cheese to garnish it (and like I said, my husband uses tortilla chips). I don't know what region you are in, but where I am Kroger groceries stores have a REALLY good cheese that goes with it, called "authentic mexican blend" or something like that, but it is by far the best cheese we've had to go in it.
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I look forward to trying some of these!
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone! I'll have to try some of these.

Looking for a quick way to make low-carb soup in a pinch? Make extra veggies for your side dishes and puree them with cream for a quick soup. You can then add chicken, bacon, sausage, etc. to that. I'll make cream of cauliflower, asparagus and pea soups this way, but there are many possibilities for "left-over" soup.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Great low carb soup recipes. I never thought of thickening soup with Xanthum gum but it is a great idea.