What's for Dinner :)

Options
twinmom01
twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
So what is everyone having for dinner...(could be tonight or if you have a meal planned this weekend) - share any recipes as well.

For me

Salmon cakes with homemade Spiced Mayo and roasted Broccili

Salmon Cakes - I just open a can of Trader Joe Salmon and mash together with an egg, some almond meal and assorted spices (dill, dry mustard, pinch of cayanne and whatever else seems to float my boat at the time) - form into 2 pattys and sort of coat with some more almond meal and throw in the fridge for about 30 minutes. I fry them up in some coconut oil til done.

Homemade Mayo - I use the recipe from Well Fed (you can also find it on the clothes make the girl blog as well) only I sub 1/4 cup of the oil with Avacado oil (I find it gives it a more mellow taste). I then take a portion and Dr. it up with some season salt, dill, tarragon and a pinch of cayanne pepper to make a spiced mayo that pairs well with the salmon

Roast Broccili - cut broccli into bite sized pieces and toss in EVOO and I use Trader Joe Everyday Seasons spice blend - dump on a tin foil baking sheet and cook at 400 for about 30 minutes or so (I watch it and shake it around every 6-7 minutes - I like it when the edges just start to turn brown/black)

Replies

• beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Salmon cakes sound good! I tried making WF's mayo and it didn't turn out well :/ Not sure what went wrong....

I'm going to roast a whole chicken for dinner tonight. Probably have Brussels sprouts as well!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Porkchops - Rub with cumin, coriander, a little honey, salt and fresh ground pepper. I use a preheated cast iron pan and sear one side for a couple of minutes, flip and then cover and turn off heat (cast iron stays hot for a long time)... This way they stay juicy.

I'll probably have mashed cauliflower with it as well.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I had talapia wrapped in bacon last night, thinking I am going to have it again tonight! yummers!! the salmon cakes sound awesome!!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Venison with port wine reduction
    2 hour broccoli
    butternut squash with grass fed butter

In order to recover from a stressful weeklong road trip, yesterday I ate 2 dozen raw oysters and a big hunk of liver with onions. POW! That's how I felt the next day.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Salmon cakes sound good! I tried making WF's mayo and it didn't turn out well :/ Not sure what went wrong....

One of the tricks to making homemade mayo is to make sure your eggs are at room temperature.

For dinner we are going to friends and having mexican food, but not sure exactly what.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at Well Fed now... I'm thinking that I want something with lamb this weekend. I made Pork Carnitas last weekend, and while my child didn't like it, I ate on it all week. They were challenging (not really, just need to remember to check them frequently) to make and I scorched them a bit, but still so awesome. I also made the Meatza last weekend, and the Czech meatballs last week. I'm in love with these recipes. It's amazing to me that I can find food with such simple ingredients, and no cheese (which I still eat but limit), and it's so darn good. She's an expert with seasonings. I made Shepherds Pie from Eat Like a Dinosaur too (next time I'll put butter in the cauliflower topping).

Thanks for the idea of wrapping fish in bacon; definitely going to try that with white fleshed fish. Even though I live where I have regular access to fresh wild Arctic char, I am just not a fish lover and it makes my child puke. LOL So fish doesn't get on the menu near enough.
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We are having pork chops, curry cauliflower and Italian green beans drowning in ghee
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    Tonight it's Buca di Beppo (Italian). Otherwise known as I'm getting garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli and Italian sausage. Work event. At least we get to order semi-individually (I'm getting a salad... but sharing it with others. Haven't told them I asked for no croutons yet.).

At least I get bacon and eggs for lunch!
  • laraeverhage
    laraeverhage Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fajita Salads!

Spring mix
    Skirt steak
    grilled onion, pepper and tomatoes
    lime juice dressing
    cheddar cheese

I had the steak marinating ready to use last night for steak and eggs, but then my husband was late from work, so I ended up making the eggs with bacon instead.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Steak salad with blue cheese dressing. I might even get fancy and fry some thin sliced shallots in olive oil to put on top for crunch
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I'm going to roast a whole chicken for dinner tonight. Probably have Brussels sprouts as well!

I followed her instruction - re: everything at room temp - I do it in my blender and pour the oil in very slooooooooowly -when I am done pouring the oil it - it is still a bit on the thin side - I scrape down the sides and then I have to sort of tilt my blender to all sides at the end in order for the mayo and excess oil to move around a bit to really get it all whipped.

I tried 2 other recipes but didn't like them as much as Well Fed...I did find even using the light olive oil it was still a litle weird tatsing hence why I switched out using 1/4 cup of avocado oil for the main beginning mixture.

spicing it up makes it so yummy...
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options
    I'll be having tuna tossed salad. Iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, celery, peas and tuna with some dressing, not sure what kind yet.
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I roasted a rump roast and made bacon-acorn squash patties to go with it. We had sliced tomatoes too.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Egg-white crusted salmon fillet and zucchini chips with a Greek Yoghurt dip. We're out of sweet potatoes. >.<