Notice any weight gain???

Options
Hey, all -

Okay, I'm a little behind most of Santa's Little Shredders. Yup, I'm on the naughty list - but I'm only two days behind.

I encountered something frustrating that I thought you guys might also have experienced. Last Thursday when I weighed in, I weighed 181. Today, after working my butt off for almost 10 days I weigh...(wait for it)...188. Nooooooooooo!!!

Well, I know I didn't consume a 28,000 calorie surplus in the last week. in I read somewhere on MFP that starting new workouts can result in some serious and immediate water weigh. For those of you who also KNOW you're doing great but see numbers on the scale that make you want to cry, here's a decent explanation:

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

(If you don't like that one, Google "started new workout, gained weight") Drinking water and eating diuretics like cinnamon may help some - and trust me, I'm trying those right now - but according to this article, the best thing you can do is push through it. Apparently, if you stick to the same plan, it will come off within a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, in spite of the fact that my thighs and butt now won't fit into any of my non-stretch pants, I've received compliments.

The writer says that if you do exercises with different intensity levels, prepare to see another temporary jump when you increase the intensity. Stay strong, y'all. Congrats to those of you who finished level one! :-)

Alicia

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Noticing that the scale is not moving at all with me following calorie requirements and after 7 days of level one. It is kind of discouraging.
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was noticing no change in the scale since I started this, about mid way through level 1 it went down a tad but then back up to where I was. I started this in hopes to get the scale moving faster! With that said, I also mentally prepared that this might happen too. Back at the end of summer and for most of September a friend and I were going to the gym at least 3 times a week religiously doing weights and a bit of cardio, I barely seen the scale move but I did notice my clothes fitting better.

I was a little disappointed not to go down more inches since I have a lot to lose but I am trying to remain optimistic about the small movement in inches. If I keep going it will all add up over time.
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I noticed no weight gain, but I stayed the same. I, too, was hoping to lose a little weight when I started this. Of course, I have had a couple of days of overeating, but nothing really major. But I did lose some inches (or at least 1/2 inches, lol). Hopefully within the next 10 days!
  • annamtrx
    annamtrx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I joined a New Years' Challenge in October (my first day at MFP), and saw weight loss (or maintaining) every week. Then I joined this 30-Day Shred as a way of kicking up my challenge for the month of December, and my weight ROSE significantly this past week... and I was really upset. So I thank you for this article - it explains what's going on, because I was wondering the same thing!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    No weight gain for me. In fact I went down 2 pounds. But I've heard it's common with this type of workout to have gains in the beginning as your body adjusts and your muscles try to heal themselves. That accounts for some water weight. Also, having more muscle will add some weight for a little bit. But from what I've read, if you stick with it, after another week or so, it should all start dropping off.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It seems like my weight loss has slowed down as well. But I feel much stronger and my clothes are fitting better. I can get into pretty much all of my clothes now so my warddrobe is not boring and full of leggings and big shirts :) I still love the style, but it is also nice to be wearing all my favorite jeans again :)

It's water weight, and it will shed off :)
  • circuspixie
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs after level1 but my clothes feel better.... I am trying to not let the scale weigh me down..... I have screwed up a few days by missing workouts- but overall I don't think i've been that bad. I have a few more days of level2 before going onto level3. I am hoping that after I finish that, I might take a few days to go back to just running a few days a week & getting back to the gym. I really do not want to gain anymore weight back. :/ HOWEVER- glad I'm not the only one. Also- it is true- muscle weighs more than fat. so hopefully we are all just gaining muscle & the fat is still being shredded!
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was super worried this would happen to me because it's happened that way for me before. But, that time, I wasn't counting calories strictly like I am this time. For those that gained, were you staying with your calories & being strict on the counting?

So far, I'm on day 4 and the scale is actually showing me down 2 lbs. I was pretty shocked to see that this morning because I did expect a gain with how sore I am & how much water weight I assumed I'd put on from the healing process. Maybe being really careful on the calories helped some? Or, watch the scale not budge again for awhile. I hope it keeps moving south though. It sure made me happy this morning!

I would highly encourage taking measurements pre-shred, maybe 10-15 days into shred, & post-shred. I think that will give us the most difference compared to the scale. :)