"mental health"

Options
miss_erynn
miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
has anyone's mental health been affected post-surgery, i.e. depression, bi-polar-like episodes of highs and lows, etc.?

I find I have terrible, life-halting mood swings. I don't get angry, but I get so depressed because of all the complications I've had and the bull**** I keep going through.... it's ruining my life.

also, relationship-wise, did anyone find that they lost friends or other personal relationships post-surgery?

Since my surgery, I have lost virtually all of my friends and I was told today that it's because no one wants to be around me anymore with all my food intolerances, my decisions on food, how much I can eat, not being able to drink (alcohol), etc. I was also told my "focus" on food and being healthy is driving people away.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Replies

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I have had any issues with my mental health, but I did go through a period with my friends where I was so focused on my eating habits and the changes that I was going through and the excitement of losing weight that I feel that I drove them away. I was and still am a little obsessed. Now it's not so much with the food, but with the exercise and fitness. When I realized that I was making my weight loss journey the focus of all conversations and that it was getting old with people fast, I had to make a conscious effort to not talk about it unless they brought it up and to play it down when too much attention was put on the subject. People aren't as excited about it as you want them to be, but when I started doing that then my friends came back around.....so I use this forum to talk about my excitement and feelings with people who are going through the journey and can relate and share my excitement with me.
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    I had depression issues before my surgery, but have had to have my meds adjusted post-surgery as I was still feeling as little low. I can definitely relate to the losing friends, but on my end, its because I have been so self-conscious eating in front of people since my surgery. I really didn't start feeling social until about 9 months post op, but I still avoid situations where eating is involved.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    yes! I avoid ALL situations where eating and drinking is, for the most part. Especially if it's around people that don't know about my surgery and, thus, becoming vegetarian. I am 8 months to the day out (-90lbs, woop!), and still get self conscious about eating, even in front of my boyfriend. It really upsets me when we are with friends and they make suggestions of places to eat, I research the menus before we go and then they change their minds and go somewhere I can't eat and then they get frustrated with me when I choose not to eat.

I was also dealing with depression pre-surgery, but not as severe as I am now. Even my boyfriend says I have gotten worse since surgery. There are days when I cry at every little thing and thing life is out to get me........and then there are days when I'm as happy as the clouds. I was never shifting moods like this before.

Although I don't expect people to understand, I would really like them to TRY to understand. The act of understanding and the act of trying are very different....... and most people are just not appreciative of what I've been through. They think it's frustrating being around me when it comes to food and stuff, I say "try being me!!!!"
  • Lissa_M
    Options
    Remember as you lose weight and fat, extra hormones get released. I was a mess post-op for quite a while. Even at 11 months post-op, I have bad days. Talk to your PCP and ask about a anti-depressant if you aren't on one already. I am currently on Zoloft and its done wonders.

I don't think its abnormal to not want to be in situations where food is the focus. I actually spent Thanksgiving alone this year because I didn't feel ready to tackle a whole day focused around food. I spent the day focusing on some home projects and working out a plan for Christmas dinner, which I feel better about now.

If you need someone to vent to who knows how you feel, just let me know!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This may sound harsh, but anyone who has an issue with you bettering yourself and getting healthy doesn't deserve to be your friend anyway. When I got out of the gangster life I lost a lot of friends, when I stopped doing drugs, when I got married, when I had my son... I don't think I have but one or two friends who have made it through all of the changes in my life and one is barely hanging on my a string. You will make new friends that are also healthy and supportive, and you can start with me!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Ps. I have struggled with my manic-depressive disorder and anxiety for years, been on and off medications, I have been off of them for some time now (except for immediately after I gave birth for obvious reasons) and I have found that surrounding myself with the right people and getting some good exercise makes all the difference, and when all that fails, go shooting (preferably something inanimate )
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Remember as you lose weight and fat, extra hormones get released. I was a mess post-op for quite a while. Even at 11 months post-op, I have bad days. Talk to your PCP and ask about a anti-depressant if you aren't on one already. I am currently on Zoloft and its done wonders.

I don't think its abnormal to not want to be in situations where food is the focus. I actually spent Thanksgiving alone this year because I didn't feel ready to tackle a whole day focused around food. I spent the day focusing on some home projects and working out a plan for Christmas dinner, which I feel better about now.

If you need someone to vent to who knows how you feel, just let me know!

My bariatric team has told me they will not put me on any form of anti-depressant medication as my body will not absorb it fully. They will re-address the situation at one year post-op. I, too, was on Zoloft pre-surgery and it did wonders for me. I asked to be placed back on it, but was told no. It's very frustrating.

As for shooting................... LOL. Inanimate things wouldn't work for me. I'd rather it be stupid people. But then I'd be shooting at 90% of my city... and that wouldn't go over so well. LOL.
  • papegirl72
    Options
    I am surpried your bariatric team would not give you antidepressants. I was able to get back on mine after a month. I too was on Zoloft and now on Cymbalta. I take it with milk and I have been banded for three years come December and have no problems...also Xanax as needed. I would definitely seek a second opinion because your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    "My bariatric team has told me they will not put me on any form of anti-depressant medication as my body will not absorb it fully. They will re-address the situation at one year post-op. I, too, was on Zoloft pre-surgery and it did wonders for me. I asked to be placed back on it, but was told no. It's very frustrating."

I'm also surprised that you were told that you could not be put on any anti-depression meds. I have been on meds since before the surgery and aside from my day and half in the hospital for the surgery and post-op care I have been taking them since. The only problem I was told was not to take the extended release for the first month because those could not be crushed. For some people medication is necessary and can effect their recovery, my bariatric surgeon wanted to make sure I was stable enough before the surgery because he said that a depression relapse could harm all the work that I would be doing with the surgery to improve my health. Perhaps get a second opinion.

As for the constant emphasis on food, I understand. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I was accused of being anorexic and having and eating disorder because I was obsessed with what I was eating, logging every calorie, and was full after a few bites. (and that came from someone who knew that I had wls and told me that they themselves were considering getting wls as well) I found that people do get bored hearing about it and about how much weight I've lost and what I can/ cant eat, and calorie and protein count, ect. The best outlet is going to a support group. I try to go to one on a weekly basis that is held through my insurance for all post-op patients to discuss such matters. Its nice because I can vent, ask questions, or listen to other people's stories/ issues. People are also really friendly (though some can be kindda bossy, but they mean it in a kind way) and many people in my group also meet up socially and offer support for all matters. Perhaps you can join some such group and find such an outlet. At least you know that they wont judge you or get bored about hearing how you can eat toast but not bread with out asking you a million question lol.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Lee - you told my story.
    I, too, was called an anorexic the other day and that I have the mindset of one, constantly obsessing about foods, preparing food, cooking food, but not eating very much.
    It's so hurtful.
    My boyfriend wants to me to go to a support group, as well, but since losing the majority of my friends........ I've become adapt to being alone and by myself and not sure if I would be comfortable with groups of people.

Perhaps though, that shall be one of my resolutions.........
  • BrwnEyedGrl1987
    Options
    I've found that my depression is a little worse since surgery. My doctor still has me on the anti-depressent but instead of taking all three at the same time, I space them out throughout the day and it helps. I'm changing insurances in January so as soon as that kicks in, I'm going to starting seeing someone as well. Sure, I can talk to my boyfriend or my mom but the only thing they tell me is that I'm doing really well. I just need someone who will be able to offer actual advice. There's only so much my support group can help with.

I haven't been able to go to my support group on a regular basis because I have class on the nights they meet. But I graduate in July so I'll be able to go every month then. Going to a support group is an excellent idea because there will probably be people there who are going through the same thing you are or who have gone through it. It wouldn't hurt to check it out.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did when I decided on the weight loss surgery was to find a good therapist. I too deal with depression and have for years. But, as a society we have such a dysfunctional relationship with food it's amazing that not everyone has some sort of eating disorder. The surgery does not fix that dysfunction. Therapy can help you live with it and thus, help other live with you. Seriously give some thought to finding a therapist. I never knew how much I could benefit from one until I started going. Now I look forward to my sessions. It took several visits to several different ones before I found the one. If you are not comfortable with the first one you go to, find another, and keep looking until you find your one. Good Luck and don't give up. You are worth this!
  • Lissa_M
    Options
    My bariatric team has told me they will not put me on any form of anti-depressant medication as my body will not absorb it fully. They will re-address the situation at one year post-op. I, too, was on Zoloft pre-surgery and it did wonders for me. I asked to be placed back on it, but was told no. It's very frustrating.

This surprises me. I was on Zoloft for about 4 months prior to my surgery and was able to take it starting at 3 days post-op. Since then, I've actually had the dosage increased a bit to help balance me out. I'm not suggesting you go against your bariatric team, but I'd question it, especially if you personally feel like maybe an anti-depressant might be helpful.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for you suggestions and advice.

My bariatric team at the hopsital offers a support group once a month, so I will be attending the next meeting, and I made an appointment to start seeing someone. The social worker thought I needed a psychologist as the depression and anxiety were out of her scope.

Here's hoping I can finally get some help and meet people who understand!!!
  • Cheekybookworm
    Options
    I too have been on my psych meds before and immediately after surgery. My surgeon wanted to avoid a depressive episode.

Would you be open to discussing this with your surgeon in a firm matter? I support you being your own advocate - your surgeon understands the surgery but not necessarily the psych side.

When I talked to my psych doc she was very familiar with baritric patients and the need to adjust meds accordingly - she changed a med from the extended release to twice a day, and when she could changed my pills to oral disentigrating (crushed pills don't taste so yummy) and with the cymbalta she just had me open the capsules and swallow the beads to increase the time of absorption (dissolving the capsule takes awhile and our tummy's just don't have the time).

You deserve to feel well, mentally, physically and spiritually!

I like the support groups and I too see a therapist (have done so for years) - my food issues started young and I knew surgery wasn't going to solve the why - even if it cut back the how.

Hugs to you! Sounds like you've been through a lot. Talk to your surgeon - help him understand the urgency of your need - whatever it takes - you're supported!
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I started "2013 challenge to lose 52 lbs". Hope to see everyone there. It's my new years resolution. Make it yours too.

Just had surgery October 29th 2012. Duodenal Switch was the right one for me.

Read my blog to get all info on my story.

Melanie
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Hey there. I started "2013 challenge to lose 52 lbs". Hope to see everyone there. It's my new years resolution. Make it yours too.

Just had surgery October 29th 2012. Duodenal Switch was the right one for me.

Read my blog to get all info on my story.

Melanie

If I lose 52lbs.................I will be 100lbs! LOL!!! Not going to happen my friend, sorry!
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have had some irrational mood swings since gastric bypass. I exploded on my boss one day. when he asked if I wanted to talk, I told him it was none of his business and I didn't want to talk. Just knowing I was fired, the next day that I worked, I humbly went to him to apologize. He leaned back in his chair and smiled. then said he was beginning to wonder if I had any emotions at all. everybody has a bad day once in a while, and we were good. I attributed much of it to external stress at the time, but as we lose weight, hormones are released from the fat cells and our emotions can go wacko. At about the same time that I blew up at my boss, I also had a major argument with my boyfriend of 15 years. His dad had died, I was doing all the leg work and handling everything, he was stressing on his job, and taking it out on me. I really thought we weren't going to make it & 15 years is a long time to throw away. I had to stop, explain to him that I did not have the legal right to handle the estate, he is the executor and needed to step up to the plate. I told him I had enough to do to keep me busy with my elderly mother. I didn't abandon him to deal with it alone, but put the decisions back on his plate, just being there as a sounding board, not a doormat.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    Miss Erynn, It sounds like you don't have a good support network. Your "friends" aren't really your friends, or they aren't educated on the new and improved you. Your surgery isn't ruining your life; it is improving it.

Before my surgery, I told my closest friends and coworkers. I explained what the procedure would be like and how I would be eating etc. Then my friends asked me 1000 questions and wanted to understand what it would be like. My friends wanted to understand so they could support me because they knew I was invested in having this procedure done.

Post surgery, I have not had any of the comments you have mentioned, but if I had family or "friends" make comments like that to me, I would not take any sass-mouthing from them. I believe that I project how I want to be treated. If I treat myself or present myself like a person who is weak or unsure, people (not true friends) will prey on that. I highly suggest you contact your doctor and talk to them. Also, talking to a counselor or therapist who specializes in bariatric patients would be helpful. I am sure he/she would be able to suggest ways of handling these "friends" of yours.

Eating out, I can always find something to eat. Protein is really easy to find anywhere you go. Even vegetarian restaurants have protein-rich options. When my friends, family, or husband ask where I want to eat, I give them a range of options where I can find a variety of foods. Don't be shy; tell them how it is! As far as alcohol, at 6 months, I have been cleared to drink alcohol moderately. It is definitely a choice for me; I don't want to ingest a lot of empty sugary calories. I don't make a big deal out of eating out with friends; I just make my good decisions.

Above all, this is your new life. Surround yourself with people who care about you and want to help you succeed. Good luck, and add me as a friend if you'd like some online support! :)

has anyone's mental health been affected post-surgery, i.e. depression, bi-polar-like episodes of highs and lows, etc.?

I find I have terrible, life-halting mood swings. I don't get angry, but I get so depressed because of all the complications I've had and the bull**** I keep going through.... it's ruining my life.

also, relationship-wise, did anyone find that they lost friends or other personal relationships post-surgery?

Since my surgery, I have lost virtually all of my friends and I was told today that it's because no one wants to be around me anymore with all my food intolerances, my decisions on food, how much I can eat, not being able to drink (alcohol), etc. I was also told my "focus" on food and being healthy is driving people away.

Anyone experience anything similar?
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder in Dec 2004. Here is a link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001927/

My surgery was October 2012. Here is a link http://www.weightlosssurgeon.com/surgical-weight-loss-dallas-fort-worth/duodenal-switch-surgery

Read my blog...you might find it interesting.

I don't fault anyone, but I lost all my friends. People just don't understand until they are educated. The key is to do everything possible to educate everyone in your life. I personally have found that if I hide it from a close friend or family member they don't want to be around me or have anything to do with me. When I talk to a close friend or family member and explain what I am feeling, doing, and educate and etc. they are a lot more understanding and supportive. It's hard I know, but all my current friends know as much as I know, and continue to stick it out with me.

It took me 4 years to get my meds right. It took me another 4 years to make "new" friends. It has been a hard long road, but these days are considered to be the best ones of my life. As long as I take my meds I'm fine. Most importantly I'm happy and healthy. My WLS is the tool to help me with the healthy part.

Well that's my two cents. Hope this inspires you to keep on keeping on. :flowerforyou: