New to C25K

Options
Hi there! i just started C25K today!! i generally HATE running but read so many stories of people like me who can now run marathons, so it really made me wonder.. :)

i have the iPhone app and i loved it, although i wish it would let me know when its half-way done or so, so i know when to turn around and head back home. but i guessed and wasnt too far off today. oh well :) but i do love the app! its awesome that it tells you exactly what to do! and the 30 minutes suprisingly went really fast!

any advice on what types of foods would be good to start eating more of, since i will be burning a ton more calories than im used to and i want to avoid the 'starvation' mode. right now i eat about 1200-1400 a day, so not sure if i should start eating more or whatnot.

did anyone get results or have before/after pictures or anything like that? my goal here is obviously to get in shape and lose some weight!! so any success stories with pics would be very motivational!!

thanks and im excited to start this journey :)

♥annie

Replies

• HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to the C25K programme! I'm due to start week 5 tomorrow and I'm so in love with this programme. Try a different app if you want, I have the Get Running app which is simple (just tells you time, not distance) but it lets you play your own music. tells you when to walk or run, and YES, it tells you where the halfway point is so you can turn around!

I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to the nutrition side of things, but I figure you can always eat more fruit and veges, the good thing about them is that you can have a huge plate of them for only a few hundred calories, and they're often loaded with water which you will need more of. Complex carbs like brown rice also help, as does protein. As you're a girl, remember to keep your iron levels up :)

Also - the programme starts you off gently, so stick with it. If you feel like a certain run is too much for you, just repeat the last run you could manage and try the next run a few days later. Some people do the course in 9 weeks, some people take up to 18, but progress is progress no matter how slow :)
  • sevenof9ncrew73
    Options
    im sara and new to this group and MFP today but i am a walker already i joined the couch to 5k program but i was not determined enough to actually do it as supposed too nothing to motivate me and keep me going, i have my challenges with running like i have no right knee cap i have a prosthetic vertebrae and even after nearly 5 yrs after surgery my shoulder and neck still hurt and kill me when i try to jog i found jog with my neck collar on helps but i cant do races with a collar so i need to learn to run well i need to jog first i can do just under a minute without pain its not helpful because i am determined that in June i will run and complete my first 5k survivor mud run obstacle course in Seattle WA. area. I need to train for this though so any hints and advice is appreciated, i do not have access to a gym either so can not do a lot of machine work so far i use Wii sports to do some cardio tennis and things to work on breathing but even then running is still so far ahead for me i want to run this race with 2 friends but they already run marathons so even training with them is out as they leave me for dust so hopefully i will get the input and kick in the *kitten* when i need it to get in shape. pain is not a motivator to keep on doing what hurts but i am no quitter.
  • Joloco4444
    Joloco4444 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Where does everyone think are the best places to run outside?? Parks?? Pavement?? Sport centre?? Etc...struggling with this before I even start!!!