Starting by cutting out Grains....

Options
Salkeela
Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
So today was the first day I've managed to go "grain free".... and actually managed to say "no" to potatoes as well!

I'm not quite ready to give up milk yet, as I love kefir. That is kefir made with milk. It is well fermented so perhaps not as bad as some dairy products.... and I do like a dash of milk in tea etc, too....

So the plan is to start by cutting out the grains, and potatoes if I can. And now I just need to stick with it tomorrow too.. one day at a time.

I've some groceries ordered up for delivery tomorrow with loads more veg, nuts and seeds, fish, some cooked meats and some nice fruit too. So plenty else to eat.

And I've been on Pinterest looking up tasty looking goodies to make.....

Any tips or advice for these early days accepted.. :)

Replies

• GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    2 things my kitchen can't do without: Almond flour and coconut oil. Any recipes that calls for bread crumbs, substitute almond flour. I "bread" my chicken using equal parts (usually 1/2 cup each for 4 breasts) of almond flour and parmesan cheese, with a tablespoon of italian seasoning thrown in.

Coconut oil is great for anything you'd use Crisco for. It's a healthy fat, and fats help you feel fuller longer.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you start feeling hungry (sugar withdrawal) increase your protein.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement folks... I've upped my cal allowance for now, just to give me a little slack as I make the adjustments.

I find I love nuts - but am a bit worried I might end up eating too many. Is there a recommended max?

Of course I'm aiming for variety, but I need new "reach for" foods. That used to be apples or toast. Toast is out, apples are okay but I don't want to eat more than I do already. Think I need to get a big pot of soup going.... Carrot, sweet potato and onion perhaps.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 days in. I found planning all my meals ahead of time helps a lot!!! I always precook on Sundays. I cook myself chicken sausage (ground chicken with my own sausage seasons) , I'll cut up veggies ect, make homemade mayo. I keep tuna packages for quick lunches. Apples are really good with coconut butter. The best advice is not be concerned about fat content. My diet is high in fat now but when it's lower I great really tired and worn out.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My reach-for foods are a handful of almonds, or sunflower seed kernels, or baby carrots. You'll be surprised how full you'll feel if you have a breakfast high in healthy fat and protein. I like full fat Greek yogurt with berries and bulletproof coffee for breakfast. Many enjoy eggs and bacon.

Try to keep your carbs between 50 - 100 while you're in weight loss mode. Your body will adjust from being a sugar-burner to being a fat-burner and you really won't feel hungry all the time.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat this way, too - not always easy. Planning all your meals for the week and doing food prep on the weekend are both great ideas!
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.... I am hoping to do this because a "Stone-Age" diet has been recommended by Dr Myhill to help with the problems associated with ME ( or as it is sometimes called CFS). At the moment I am off work (I'm a teacher) on long term sick leave. Not much fun - but in some ways an easier time to make dietary changes...

My main problem is exertion and the debilitating after-effects of only small amounts of exertion.... and so if this will help, I'm game to give it a go.

I'm also hoping to loose a bit more weight, but very slowly - because I can't help my loss by exercising more and my TDEE is only slightly above my BMR! However my weight is within the healthy range (BMI 22.3) I'd just like it to be lower in that healthy range, so that there is less of me for my weakened muscles to move about.

I made some soup for lunch today, and I've a couple of portions stored in the fridge now for lunch tomorrow and the next day. :)
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My fav snack comes from the Well Fed cookbook. I grill or bake chicken (thighs or legs) and abit of that and the following in ziplock bags: black olives, dill pickle, cucumber . Sometimes I switch it up and do carrots and pickled okra
  • haasgirl
    Options
    I'm starting this way as well. My biggest issue is that I don't cook. So I've told my husband that when he cooks supper to only cook my protein. I will worry about the rest. I've been reading a lot of posts on here all the information I can get helps.
  • CaitlinedB
    CaitlinedB Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've heard in weight loss mode you should only have 4oz serving of nuts per day. I try to keep to that if I have nuts because I can over eat them very easily. Since you don't have much weight to lose I would guess you won't have a problem if you double or even triple that. But according to the little research I've done you have to be careful about what types you're consuming because of the good vs. bad omega issues. I think walnuts have the best omega 3/6 ratio.

Also, there are lots of recipes out there that you can play with to make your own types of "bread". I use flax, almond and coconut flours. It's a different experience but does satisfy the craving. I've found that between trying to keep around 50 carbs and also eating more protein that my craving for even these types of bread is almond gone. I made a loaf a week ago and I still have half of it. And if you're craving sweets there are recipes for that as well. I use ripe banana as my sweetener.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Salkeela,

I have been pretty much confined to a recliner and couch since August, first with AFib that left me with a resting heart rate of over 100 BPM (going up a slight incline put me up to 145 BPM), then, in mid September, with foot surgery where I can’t put any pressure on my right foot.

I’ve lost 12 pounds on Paleo/Primal (55% fat, 35% protein, 10% carbs) in that time, going from 251 down to 231, but after being put on prednisone and insulin, I gained weight back up to 244. But I am losing again (238 today) by keeping low carb.

So, at least for me, it works without ANY exercise. Good luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Depending on you, and how you are with dairy, you could choose to keep the kefir, especially if it is from high quality dairy. I follow the paleo AND primal philosophies and adapt them to what works for me. I do have dairy, but only full fat (no milk) and I do limit it. I will consider eliminating dairy if my health is deteriorating from it or if my weight loss is stalled because of it.

Edit: re: nuts. I don't have any issue with wanting to over-eat nuts (max 2 oz per day usually) but perhaps it's because I eat a very low carb, high fat version of paleo/primal. Before paleo/primal I used to ever-eat nuts when they were roasted and salted. Since I always eat raw, unsalted nuts now, I really enjoy the flavour but have no need to over do it. I just no longer have the need to over-eat, no matter what the food is (unless I increase my carbs too much).
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies folks.

I have a variety of unsalted raw nuts and seeds here now, and I think if I just keep my choices mixed up, I'll not over do it on any one. 4 oz is quite a lot when weighed out, so I don't think I'm at risk of eating too much after all. Thanks for the tip CaitlinedB

And I agree about the dairy ( :smile: @ Akimajuktuq) - I'm cutting back (I used to eat a load of cheese and yoghurt especially) and have just kept the milk in my tea and other hot drinks and also kept my Kefir (just 4-6oz a day). I actually think Kefir helps my digestive system - so that's my excuse.

@CRody You're having it tough right now, but it seems you've got the right mindset. I think when we are well, then perfecting diet seems like window-dressing (if you see what I mean) but once we are unwell, then it becomes essential to recovery and everything we do has the potential to make a difference. Well done on your achievements so far. Can you do some upper body exercises? I was grumbling about de-conditioning of my muscles to a Dr friend the other day and he suggested Isometric exercises (ie just tensing muscles with out movement) as he says this can make a big difference to maintaining muscle mass, even without much exertion (or heart rate increase). I've been giving it a go anyway.

@tracy1344 Love the idea of bagging the chicken pieces up with pickles to absorb some of the flavour.... I've bought a few pre-cooked chicken drumsticks... will try that now. :smile:

And haasgirl, I do feel for you not being able to cook. Cooking is one thing I love doing (well okay some nights I love it if the others take over and just do it... :wink: ) so you must find it really tough to give that up. I'm tending to just cook extra veg for me, and I still cook pasta or potatoes for the others, but I just don't take it. Thankfully we didn't normally eat too many pies or pizzas.... I will miss the breaded cod however! :noway:

I made a flaxseed bread yesterday, and I quite like it. Excellent dunked in soup anyway!
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Try to keep your carbs between 50 - 100 while you're in weight loss mode. Your body will adjust from being a sugar-burner to being a fat-burner and you really won't feel hungry all the time.

Will go take a look at where my carbs ended up the last few days. At the mo I still just have the mfp defaults for carbs etc.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    . I will miss the breaded cod however!

Make your own, dip the fish in egg and bread in either almond meal or coconut flour (or a mixture of both.) Fry up in a paleo friendly oil. Enjoy
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Way to go -

Plenty of alternatives to grains - for pasta I use spagetti squash - I try and get the biggest one i can get so i have leftovers - I make a homemade marinara chock full of veggies to go with it. In place of something like cous cous I used riced cauliflower.

One of the biggest things is to keep good snacks on hand for when you need just a little something. Nuts are good (I buy in bulk and then use snakc bags to make up servings to grab and go - that way I don't overindulge in a day- I also like red pepper strips, cucumber (I slice and soak in vinger for a bit - then drain and add a pinch of salt), baby carrots, homemade jerky (my husband shot a deer yesterday and I told him the first thing he had to do was make me some jerky cause I am out) - for sweet eat i keep a few slices of dried mago on hand (I get mine from Whole Foods - so it doesn't have preservatives)

I consider myself primal because I have cheese, greek yogurt and cream on occassion.

Good Luck and Welcome :)
  • haasgirl
    Options
    Did well yesterday. Managed to get ove 100grams of protein in and it was all whole foods. Trying to do the same today.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Will go take a look at where my carbs ended up the last few days. At the mo I still just have the mfp defaults for carbs etc.

When I first found MFP, their default macros caused me to leave their site immediately. Literally, I signed in, saw that nonsense and left. At some point, I decided to return, took the time to explore and found out that I could change their very silly defaults to what works for me. I've been here ever since and almost 40 pounds lighter and $22 richer every month (was paying f***ing WW just to use their tracker).

Though I follow paleo/primal philosophy for the most part, I also keep my carbs very low. Usually I net between 15-30 grams. I keep my fat high and my protein moderate. While not everyone who is paleo/primal needs to eat the way I do, I do it for my own health issues and the weight loss is a nice side effect. I'm set at 65% fat, 25% protien, 10% carb. I'm totally ok with going over on fat and protein, but give myself a stern "talking to" if my fats are too low. If my fats get too low, I start craving (the carbs) and wanting to over-eat.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Got to admit, I've pretty much ignored the totals beyond the cals total.

I look at what I'm actually eating and know a reasonable diet when I see it. I came here for the recording and the cals total and the huge data base. And now the forums and friends element.

Right now the change to grain-free is going well - and as a bonus I've kept off potatoes too... which is a biggie here in Ireland! ;) LOL
  • Salkeela
    Options
    . I will miss the breaded cod however!

Make your own, dip the fish in egg and bread in either almond meal or coconut flour (or a mixture of both.) Fry up in a paleo friendly oil. Enjoy

Will try this. Thanks.