Things I'm looking for to when I'm no longer"Obese"...

Options
13turtles
13turtles Posts: 183 Member
:smile: So I know that there have been posts on this topic, but I am having surgery next week and I am making my personal list. I'd love to hear the things that you guys are excited about being able to do or have to anything, that you can't/couldn't do before WLS. Here's what I have so far.....

Being able to comfortably buckle a seat belt (even in the back seat)
Not having a seat belt extender in the airplane
Matching undies =)
Shopping in the regular sizes
Wearing clothing appropriate for my age, not just my size
Sleeping better
Less stress on my knees
Not feeling self-conscious when I have to walk in fron of people in a movie theater
Being able to move around things more easily
Fitting into a normal size bathroom stall

Replies

• ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Being able to take a nice, hot bath again! (done it - several times since surgery - woot!)
    Being able to fit into a booth in a restaurant again! (done it - several times also since surgery - woot)
    Being able to wear my wedding rings again! (yep, also can do this now)
    Being able to cross my legs! (yep, done that too)
    Being able to run up and down the stairs without feeling like my heart was going to bust out of my body! (yep, also can do this now too! )
    Shop in regular size stores (this is a work in progress - down 5 sizes so I am well on my way)
    Get a bike and go for bike rides with my kids! (can't wait for spring to do this)
    Learn to swim finally!
    Wear knee high boots again!
    Go hiking!
    Be able to fit on the rides at the fair this coming summer!
    Not have sleep apnea any more!
    Paint my toenails without turning red in the face and feeling like I'll pass out! (yep ,done this - woot)

These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head! :-)
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    For me, it was different things. Clothes weren't so much the issue, but being able to cut my own toenails, get in and out of a bathtub easily (and fit,) improving my cholesterol, my blood sugar (I am a type I diabetic,) and being able to walk without pain or problems. My weight loss is very slow and I have "pulled back" from people here recently. For that, I apologize to many of you. I want nothing more than good health and to be comfortable in my own skin again.
  • veggibus
    veggibus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There are many many things that I could write, but a big (and fun!) one for me is a goal for this summer.

Background - two summers ago, my husband and I went to Cedar Park with a group of friends and I couldn't ride the two newest/biggest/fastest/best/etc. roller coasters because I couldn't latch the seat belt.

This summer, my husband and I are making it a point to go back so that I can go on those rides... and all of the others, of course. :)
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of reasons:
    When I went to Europe a year and a half ago, there were a number of things I couldn't do (walk up the stairs of St. Peter's Dome, get on /off a gondola without the assistance of 2 men, sleep in those little hostel beds without breaking them, etc). I'm going back in a year for 5 months, and I plan to go all over the continent again doing everything my weight restricted me from before. And I don't want to need a seatbelt extender on the planeride over.

I want to fit in booths, theater seats, airplane seats, bathtubs, etc again (which I do now)
    walk up and down stairs without getting out of breath (do this everyday)

My college has a night every year where they shut down Six Flags just for us. Last year I was told I was too big to ride a lot of the roller coasters. This year I went back and got on all of them with no problems!

My lower back problems and ankle problems are gone. I still have slight knee pain from time to time, but the damage has been done and it's not worsening and it does feel better not having extra weight on it.

I paint my toe nails normally now.
    I wear heels now
    I'm seeing my collar bones now

Still things I look forward to, but these were my biggies.

I cross my legs now almost the entire time I sit. It makes me feel super dainty.
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Being off medications
    No more CPAP machine, thank God......
    No longer use walker or cane to get around
    Have hip bones and collar bones, which feels abnormal..LOL
    Love clothes now, in fact I have too many
    Also too many shoes
    Feel and look healthy
    I like the weight I am even though my goal is to lose 32 more pounds
    I love being able to get around on my own power without help
    the best is seeing people you have known for many years and they don't recognize you anymore.....this is a great feeling.
    if you want to see why, go to my profile and see my before and after pictures. I find it hard to believe the change in my appearance. I just wish I could have had the surgery years ago, but I thank God I had it done at age 67.