Help - Exercise for Scoliosis

Arin18
Arin18 Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone. I am wondering what kind of exercises and activities you all are involved in... I have a 29 degree C curve that right now is causing me extreme mobility issues as well as severe pain. I have been trying to lose weight but am finding it difficult to participate in the types of activities that would help (I use to practice Bikram Yoga but now can barely bend forwards to tie my shoe. Actually, I CAN'T bend forwards to tie my shoe.)

Any suggestions? I'm able to walk on a an incline for about a half hour but that's boring... and not cutting it as far as losing weight.

Replies

• Muriumj
    Muriumj Posts: 12 Member
    My doctor suggested swimming (for toning up, losing weight and strengthening my back) .. and wall sits (back strengthening exercise) .. helped .. though im on a break these days, as most pools are closed during winters here..
  • I had a physical therapist tell me that completing bridge exercises on a ball, pec decks, lat pulldowns, and using a cable machine to work the muscles around the spine, were most helpful in gaining strength and reducing the pain.
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Pilates mat classes have been good for me, but you have to be careful to find an instructor who is understanding and able to give you modifications for things that are painful for you. Also, a PT could give you at-home exercises that are safe for you. I solely work out at home right now, as we're trying to save money.

The elliptical is the only gym machine I can use without too much pain. The treadmill is too jarring and the bike and rowing machine kills my tailbone, as my largest curve starts there. I have 38 and 32 degree curves.
  • Arin18
    Arin18 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks guys. I've tried all those things and I'm still in pain. I start physical therapy next month... hopefully that should help!
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Oh, I'm still in pain. I just do them anyways, lol. I know I'll be in pain if I exercise, but inactivity makes me hurt too. Hope the PT helps you.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    My doctors have always suggested swimming. The low impact on joints combined with the repetitive stretching motion is ideal. However, I don't limit myself to that. I currently do strength training (NROL4W, heavy weights), yoga, Zumba, biking, and elliptical. The only thing I really can't do is long distance running, this always leads to hip, knee, and back pain.