Things that drive you crazy in a yoga class

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
A little while ago, I posted "things you like about your teacher". Obviously, if there were a lot of things you didn't like about your teacher, you wouldn't go to him/her. Think about classes you've taken in the past were something got on your nerves or ruined your experience. I'm mostly interested in things the teacher can do something about.

My number one thing is incense. Can't stand the stuff, and almost always gives me a headache.

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I just cannot think of a single thing that has ever wound me up in a yoga class - sorry :bigsmile:
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of chanting. It feels... false. Like I'm just a pretender. I much prefer ending my class with a simple silent appreciation, and perhaps just "Namaste".
    I also love incense, but not in class. Not sure why, but it throws me off somehow.

Like I said in the other thread, I enjoy the readings that my teacher does sometimes - but only if it's at the beginning of class or while we are just entering savasana. Once I'm in savasana, I prefer silence for the duration.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I only practice at home now, but when I went to studios, I found crowded classes very distracting.
  • nevara
    Options
    I do not have scent allergies, however I find it irksome when other people cover thier mats with essential oils. The first problem is, they always over do it, when or 2 drops will suffice and secondly I find some of the smells really strong, and distracting.

The other thing that bothers me is a personal thing. Sometimes I cant seem to find my focus and this throws my whole practice out of sync. Perhaps I will make a forum post for suggestions to overcome this...
  • moehenkels
    moehenkels Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What about when people keep coughing

and coughing

and coughing....

Can't you just excuse yourself from class to calm down!? I know its flu season...but it's really annoying.
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I actually had a disappointing class recently (I shouldn't have built it up in my mind so much perhaps!). Before getting to the class I had to involve 2 friends to help with my kids, so this was a huge treat. I signed up in advance. When I arrived at the class, an intensive 2.5 hour class, I felt was intruding on a closed group. I was put behind a column by the teacher, with only enough space for my mat, despite there being space in the front. Since it was my first time in the class, I didn't want to make a fuss. She opened with a story about her 106 year old Grandmother, but she lost track and by the time she was reflecting on her life, she was 108. The teacher then led a chant, but sometimes continued, other times waited for us to respond, so it was hard to follow. When the practice started the teacher moved the mat of another student onto the top end of my mat and then stood on my mat while she held the other student in Down Dog. I waited and when it was possible to rejoin the class tried, but was then tapped on the nose by the student in front. Sadly, I had enough, so quietly left.

Although this was a negative experience, it threw into relief all the great experiences I have had with other teachers:
    - It reminded me of the importance of being welcomed into a group by the teacher
    - it is often up to the teacher to set the right tone - it seems obvious, but a gentle reminder that we should all be considerate of each other's space is really important
    - yoga teachers' sharing simple, insightful truths that have resonated have been so valuable to me. Dramatic stories of 106 (or is it 108) year old grannies are just not necessary
    - If the practice includes chanting, either very clear instructions, a small piece of paper, or a little message to do your best and not worry too much, are all welcome
    - one teacher asked all her class to share their expectations for the class. It was really nice to hear where the rest of the class was coming from, mentally and physically. It also helped to unite us at the beginning of the practice
    - I practice mostly on my own, so sharing with a group is a real treat (usually) for me. Completing a yoga class is an accomplishment for most of us, so it is nice if a positive upbeat tone is set for the students by the teacher.

Lastly, perhaps I am over sensitive, but I don't think it is nice to step on other people's mats. My yoga mat is an old friend that only I step on!

Anyway, this was an opportunity to get that bad experience off my chest - now I let go!
  • TGKvr
    Options
    Yikes, that sounds like a terrible experience! And stepping on your mat to help another student... I just.. It baffles me.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Morning! Just joined this group now as I felt I had to reply to this thread.

1)

My yoga classroom is right next to the heavy weights room. The guys in the weights room constantly throw their heavy weights on the ground after their rep sets or, worse still, throw the weights at the wall (at least it sounds like it!). It's SO LOUD!

It is the most unrelaxing noise and makes me jump out of my skin every time, especially during relaxation. It can't be good for you to jump like that when holding certain asanas!?

2)

One of the classes I used to go to was taught by a very stern, fussy Chinese teacher. She was an ok teacher but every time she came into the classroom at the beginning of the class, she'd set a very tense tone, asking "RIGHT. Before we start, I need to remind you all TO MAKE SURE YOU BOOK YOUR CLASS IN ADVANCE! Who has NOT booked today??" She says this every class.

There are usually only 5 or 6 of us in the class and each and every one of us books in advance. We all feel like we're being told off for something we're not responsible for. She is not the most calm or peaceful of teachers and she is too strict, scolding and stern so it is nigh on impossible to relax in her class. I have since stopped going to her classes because of this.

3)

Usually after yoga class, there's another class-load of people waiting outside the door for their class (which is immedaitely afterwards). Not their fault of course, but as soon as we have finished the last 5 minutes of deep breathing/relaxation, we literally have to really rush to put our shoes on, roll up the mats and get the h£ck outta the room before they come flooding in.

In light of all this, I now much prefer doing yoga at home, so much more relaxing, don't have to inhale classmates' farts and can have some tranquil music playing in background as an extra escape :wink:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I'm baffled as well zenmummy.
  • harrietteb1
    Options
    I agree 100% with the coughing! It's so annoying! But I try and use the distraction as a reminder as to why I am there...if the coughing bothers me, it's about ME. Namaste.
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm baffled as well zenmummy.

Happy ending today! I woke up to a nice email from another teacher I enjoyed practicing with inviting me to some sessions she is running in her living room. You win some, you lose some!
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love incense during class! I don't like to practice without it!

I don't like it when someone comes to a class thats taught the same way constantly (we always chant one 'Om' at the beginning and end of each class) and complains about it. There are plenty of places that take the spirituality out of yoga and make it just a plain old workout. Chanting is part of the yoga, as is the atmosphere of the studio ie: incense, soft chanting music or soft Indian music, statues of Indian deities around the studo. To me if there's no Om there's no yoga.
  • TGKvr
    Options
    I don't know... I feel the classes I attend which don't chant (I do different classes, some do some don't) are still full of spirituality. I feel connected and spiritual when there is no chanting... I've never had experience with chant, but I have with prayer - prayer is more silent. Maybe that's why it feels more genuine for me to be in a class with no chanting.
    To each their own. But I would strongly disagree that no chant = no spirituality.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When you guys say "chanting", do you mean like traditional sanskrit chants? Or just 'Om's'? The only place I've experienced chants were in a traditional Ashtanga workshop because it's part of the series/practice or by a teacher who was leading a specific spiritual class. As for the Om's, I always find them fascinating because sometimes at the beginning of the class, people are clashing and off key and after a heated, vigorous practice, everyone's Om's come together into one vibrating, in-tune, sometimes harmonizing sound...lol Anyone experience that?

I'm surprised about the incense and essential oils and stuff...I don't mind them generally but most places including gyms in my area have a pretty strict no-scents policy including perfumes and colognes. I don't think even our mat cleaners at our studio have hardly any scent at all... Makes sense though:)

As posted in the other thread, I think I just appreciate teachers who practice at least a yogic way of life--of being mindful. Of course, I love it when teachers can have fun, laugh, joke around and play crazy music but I also respect someone who studies and takes yoga seriously. No pretension or attitudes..!

And yes, mixing it up is good...same routine class after class gets boring (unless it's part of a sequential practice).

I guess the only things that drive me crazy are the other students sometimes..lol :laugh: