Fasting - An interesting article

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
http://www.justinowings.com/a-low-carbohydrate-diet-mixed-with-inter/

Been thinking about playing around with fasting. I know LowCarbNY does it and it works for him. Thought I would share this article!

Replies

• bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, will have to read later, but interestingly I just posted about my experience with IF on another post, scanning down thru the artical I note the insulin comparison!
    I did IF leangains 16/8 for a few months lost a good bit initially, i get measured with biosignature method, (callipers on different sites of the body) I lost on all body fat sites except one, it was the supra site which can show insulin sensitivity, my trainer noted that my eating must be sporadic (didn't tell him I was doing IF) so this was v interesting to me.

Have to say I did enjoy not having to eat all day at certain times and it has taught me that I'm not going to die/lose muscle/lower my IQ without food for a day!!!! Although I still was slightly preoccupied about food, as in what nice big feed I was planning for later and also the macro breakdown, juggling carb v fat days!

So for the moment, as I've a goal I wanta reach in 16 days, I've decided to add in a small breakfast again, lower by carb intake and moderate my protein, now this fat site is moving in the downward direction, but it could be because I'm being more strict. A typical day now I would eat at 8am finish 7pm so it's not too bad but I obviously don't get the total regenerating effects of a true fast does. When I reach my goal I may well go back to 16/8 for the convenience it gives me but think I'll set my own macros...
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've been considering IF myself. I workout early in the day (5AM), but I have very long days - my last meal usually isn't until 8:30 in the evening. I wondered about how to set up an IF day - and could/should I do the protein after the workout like I usually do, if I start my feeding at say 2 PM.

Thanks OP for the article and you too bfitgirl for your experiences.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Interesting, so in the end, IF wasn't the best thing for you, correct?
  • mstorvik
    Options
    I don't think i would IF everyday... but I think that there are some days it might be beneficial. I am already tired of people telling me it will kill my body ... SERIOUSLY!? fasting 16 hours will kill my body? That sounds so incredibly dumb. Now, fasting for days - yes. 16 hours?! Get real.
    I've been considering IF myself. I workout early in the day (5AM), but I have very long days - my last meal usually isn't until 8:30 in the evening. I wondered about how to set up an IF day - and could/should I do the protein after the workout like I usually do, if I start my feeding at say 2 PM.

Thanks OP for the article and you too bfitgirl for your experiences.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading!
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    I have just started experimenting with IF in the last week. Started with a 24 hour fast (actually was more like 36 hours) from after dinner Friday night (and after friday night snacking) till Sunday morning. It was surprisingly easy. I am working towards some deadlines at the moment, so am at my computer till 2am most nights (not good I know, but short-lived) and the only difficult time was from around 11pm till I went to sleep around 2am. My stomach ached slightly from the hunger, but nothing too bad and I found going to sleep on an empty stomach really easy. And felt fantastic when i woke up the next morning.

Then I got to thinking, my really bad eating time is late at night, i snack on nuts, leftovers, whatever, and usually feel awful both physically and emotionally. So why not fast every night from after dinner (I eat early with my child) until the next day brunch/lunch? So that is what I have done this whole week, and it has felt really really good. I eat my first meal some time between 12 noon and 2pm and then dinner again some time between 6 and 8. I sometimes have a few nuts or something in the late afternoon, but not too much (it's not a binge time for me) and I am still eating my daily cals, not less.

The only challenge, and according to what I have read this will change as my body adapts to it better, has been that i run in the mornings and feel like i maybe need to find some kind of drink to have before I set out, as i run (read slow jog) between 8 and 10 kms and I felt a little weaker than usual this week. Thinking about a glass of coconut milk. I make my own fresh (I live in coconut land) so it seems like a good option.

But the point is, I feel great, the last stubborn kgs are definitely starting to move, and I'm not bingeing and therefore not feeling like s@%t. I don't think I will do this every day till noon, but i do think the notion of fasting and then "breakfast", in the true sense, has finally hit home to me. Nights have generally been filled with bingeing and remorse, and now i just tell myself, "I am fasting", and maybe it's just a stupid psychological trick I am playing on my own mind, but so far it's working!

Definitely worth experimenting with, in my opinion. Good luck.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been using Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat method since last May. I fast twice a week and now it seems like second nature. My issue was over eating once the fast ended and eating too much on the other days. I lost weight years ago on low carb and decided to incorporate the two. Fasting is much more than just weight management. This BBC documentary was excellent and Brad Pilon's book is good too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do ESE as well, once you are ketoadapted you feel very little hunger... Here is what I jotted down the second time i did ESE

ESE day 2

Today at 2 ends my second ESE day. No hunger no problems, sleeping on ESE is not as EaSE as one would like, lots of turning and tossing., weird dreams, not nightmares just weird. Not so much fun, however there is no energy shortage and no hunger during the day, although Ive had my fair share of teas in the last 24 hours,(which i believe is not a bad thing) Sort of struggling with my water at this moment, but nothing else to report. Elliptical this morning was non-challant to say the least, not particularly tiresome and the addition of 2 episodes of clone wars is great. Sort of worried when those end... well see what we do/how we deal when that happens. Trying to test weather this fast thing works, or if it just a continuatrion of the atkins cycle of low carb ketosis behavior, but in a slightly more drastic manner. Hopefully it will allow me to continue at the 2 lbs per week rate at the least. Took some 8 week pictures and there is a significant change, worried that my belly fat is not going away at the rate I would like, however chest is 1" down. I guess that still carrying 48 lbs of fat on my body allows it to choose from 168,000 available calories, and these come from anywhere they so desire..

Hope to end this week in the 210s giving me hope for the 31st of DEC 200 goal...that (assuming I make the 210 weigh in on friday) makes it a 2.5 lb per week loss...Easy!! I think that my regular low carb program, plus a single ESE day a week should put me within range of this goal.

I find it works well... and is really not that hard as long as you do 6 to 6, 9 to 9 is a killer..
  • SKArunner
    SKArunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great article! . . . thank you for posting it. I have heard of the book, Good Calories Bad Calories, but it convinced me to go out and buy it.. . . Now I have a book to read over winter break . . .

Thanks.