Does Weight Loss with PCOS = Low Carb?

Options
andiimarie
andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
I have been reading a lot about PCOS, and it seems like most of the women that have had success with weight loss have all gone low carb. Is this my only option? And how low carb is it necessary to go? Is it possible to lose without eliminating carbs?

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on whether your symptoms include insulin resistance. While I was pre-diabetic at my heaviest, I did fine on the fasting glucose test and was told I was not insulin resistant, though I have host of other PCOS symptoms. I cut out most empty carbs just for healthy eating reasons, but I did not need to follow a low carb diet to lose. I try to stick to whole grain and veggie carbs, with a treat or two mixed in for sanity purposes. :smile:
  • andiimarie
    Options
    I do have insulin resistance. :ohwell:
  • Celeigh12
    Options
    Have you looked at a low glycemic diet as opposed to low carb? The nice thing about that is it acknowledges that not all carbs react with your body in the same way. It can feel less restrictive. Good luck to you!
  • nabzilla_uk
    nabzilla_uk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my carb intake is probably higher than average but I'm still losing weight :)
  • morgycg
    morgycg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You don't have to completely eliminate carbs, but it's good to choose your carbs carefully, according to the glycemic index. Eating raw fruit and muiltigrain/sprouted grain carbs is a lot healthier than white pasta and potato chips.

Since you have insulin resistance, I would recommend checking out the American Diabetes Association's website: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/diabetes-meal-plans-and-a-healthy-diet.html

They have great explanations on glycemic index, how to count carbs, meal plan ideas, etc.
  • Princessmoe333
    Princessmoe333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I cut out sugar (almost completely) and gluten (completely) all refined carbs (completely) and all packaged foods (almost completely, unless organic). I eat organic everything with no GMOs. I drink Beachbody's Shakeology every morning for breakfast and the only other thing I EVER drink is water. My body is completely realigning. Combined with exercise 4-5 times a week, I have almost all my symptoms under control. The weight is coming off now the way it would on someone without PCOS.

I am now a Beachbody coach. If you are interested in Shakeology message me and I will send you my site.
  • morgycg
    morgycg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with Princessmoe33 about eating organic with no GMOs. I also have been a vegetarian for about 3.5 years now (though once in awhile allow myself fish, so really I'm a pescatarian). When I eat animal products like dairy and eggs, I make sure that they are the organic, hormone-free kind. I have noticed a huge difference in my PCOS symptoms since cutting back significantly on animal products and non-organic food. My thought about this is that since my hormones are already messed up, adding more hormones from animals exacerbates the problems. I now get a period every month, whereas before I would go several months without one.

One of the reasons that organic is healthier is that many non-organic foods have high fructose corn syrup, which is terrible for your blood sugar levels. Anything with hydrogenated oils is also bad as it raises your bad cholesterol levels, and many women with PCOS get high cholesterol. My biggest change has been to read the labels of everything I buy. Try to avoid buying things with ingredients you don't recognize.

The only drinks I drink are water, tea, and coffee. I avoid all sodas and juice. I only drink a sports drink like vitamin water if I have the flu.
  • andiimarie
    Options
    That's a good point about the hormones. I never thought about it that way. My husband and I have started eating more organic foods. We use the Door-to-Door organics service and have a box delivered once a week. I'm just starting to realize that yes, I was bettering my health by counting calories the past couple years, but this goes WAY beyond calories. PCOS and insulin resistance requires much more knowledge about what I'm putting in my body. I feel like I need to change everything to finally feel better, and while change is good, it's quite overwhelming.
  • jenericstewart
    jenericstewart Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a very low metabolism, compared to someone my same size, age, weight, height who does NOT have PCOS. It has always been very difficult for me to lose weight. I started dieting at age 8.

I've found a tweak that's been helping me. I was doing the JUDDD, and the weight stalled. I wasn't counting carbs at the time, though careful to eat healthfully. JUDDDers claim you don't need to count carbs on that method. I think it will work initially for most people, but for those who have more than 20-30 pounds to lose, I don't believe that's the case, especially with PCOS.

Now I do a sort of carb cycling. Every other day I limit my carbs to no more than 50; on opposite days I eat what I want (within reason), striving for 100 protein grams, approximately 2200 calories on my up day. On my down day, I'm probably at 1200 calories.

With lousy metabolisms, you have to keep your body guessing.
  • EmpressoftheCosmos
    Options
    Im not sure whether or not you have to reduce your carb intake but I know that choosing healthier carbs are important for anyone trying to lose weight. I have pcos and I crave carbs, Im in the process of eating less unhealthy carbs like potatoes and rice. Instead I double up on my veggies and eat a small amount of carb like half of a baked sweet potatoe...
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You don't have to completely eliminate carbs, but it's good to choose your carbs carefully, according to the glycemic index. Eating raw fruit and muiltigrain/sprouted grain carbs is a lot healthier than white pasta and potato chips.

Since you have insulin resistance, I would recommend checking out the American Diabetes Association's website: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/diabetes-meal-plans-and-a-healthy-diet.html

They have great explanations on glycemic index, how to count carbs, meal plan ideas, etc.

This this this.

I keep my carbs under 100 per day (well, I try). I don't lose weight unless I do so. YMMV, of course. Try to experiment for a week and then increase/decrease for another week to see what happens.

I've also noticed that on days I keep my carbs low and eat lots of protein-rich foods, I'm barely hungry, even if I only eat 1200-1300 calories (I'm allowed 1800-2000 depending on exercise).

I know - duh - but it really is very cool. :)
  • rydanip
    rydanip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MAN I am trying to cut carbs down below 100g BUT I seem to always go over. I have lost about 5 lbs in the last two weeks which is great because my scale was either not moving or moving the WRONG way. If any of you have some ideas for daily carb cutting I will surely take the advice. I am really just trying to find a system that allows me to lose weight and adopt into my lifestyle (no fads).
  • TrinaBurch
    TrinaBurch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been recently diagnosed with PCOS and due to my high insulin levels prescribed metformin. Two weeks after starting the medication ( luckily no side effects), my dietitian suggested I try a lower carb diet.
    I started last Wednesday and on her recommendation, I am aiming for 30% carbs, 30% protein and 40% fat. I have been fairly successful this week using these numbers and staying within my calorie range.
    The best part - I am down almost 5lbs in 5 days!!! I haven't been this weight in almost 4 years. Although I have dieted for those 5 years, I have barely budged - now I have the answer.

So my opinion - give it a try! Use the settings on MFP to change your macros and aim for 30%. Good luck!
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    MAN I am trying to cut carbs down below 100g BUT I seem to always go over. I have lost about 5 lbs in the last two weeks which is great because my scale was either not moving or moving the WRONG way. If any of you have some ideas for daily carb cutting I will surely take the advice. I am really just trying to find a system that allows me to lose weight and adopt into my lifestyle (no fads).

Change your macro to 30%. You might be able to eat more than 100. I use 100 because it's the easiest to remember and works the best for me, but I do allow myself to go up as high as 130 to 140 some days. Technically, I'm allowed 150.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    Im pretty much eating like a caveman <paleo/primal>
    im on my 3rd week weighed my self last weekend and lost 6lbs already im so happy :D
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, I love my carbs too much to have ever done low-carb dieting. Instead I switched to eating whole wheat everything. It's worked for me in the long run. However, most people seemingly lose more faster doing lower-carb.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It really is more low glycemic than low carb. If you want to do low carb you can, but when Dr.s tell you to go low carb, it really means cutting out the crap. No refined white carbs, sugars things like that.

I am a pescatarian, so fish is really the only meat I eat. I get my protein mostly from beans and carbs of all different kinds. But the majority of the time my sugars are low and my fiber is high. I have just started this about a month and a half ago, and it has made me feel very good, good amount of energy and exploring another side to low carb.

My biggest issue with low carb, or more so how some people do it, is they try to get their carbs down to pretty much nothing, which MOST OF THE TIME, means they are cutting out veggies and fruit. These are things that everyone should eat, maybe limit the fruit a bit more, but if you are just eating meat, dairy and anything that has no carbs, you are very likely going to be become malnourished because their are not much nutritional benefits from meat and dairy besides protein.

It is all about balance and choosing healthy carbs :)
  • reeshabby
    Options
    how do you change the macros?
  • Celeigh12
    Options
    how do you change the macros?

My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom (rather than Guided)
  • elldeeldn
    Options
    I pretty much agree with everyone else. I don't low carb but 95% of the time I don't eat refined carbs (I say 95% because no one is perfect!). I don't tend to track my calories etc too closely because I find if you watch refined carbs and fat it is quite hard to eat too much. It makes me feel so much better because my blood sugar isn't crashing and spiking all over the place (I have problems with reactive hypoglycemia) and I don't get nearly as hungry. Plenty of protein, plenty of vegetables and pulses, limited nuts, wholegrain and dairy and no white carbs (sugar, white bread etc) works for me!